Tri Tuesday: Toes and Treats Related!


I probably shouldn't be mixing feet with food, but aw well. It's what's goin' on over here in my household. First, wanted to share a mini update on my journey of no longer coddling my feet with slippers in the house and orthotics in my shoes. Well folks, so far so good great! I now walk around the house hardly remembering the days of my slippers, or the need to be more delicate with my left vs. right foot. And it feels very liberating frankly. 

And...guess what I did on my last ~50 yds (during the coold down) of my run ~4 mile run yesterday? Barefoot Angie Bee...you'd be so proud: I took off my shoes and ran, pranced, walked home barefoot. And It was a very interesting feeling. Immediately I could feel how much I land on my heel when running. Huh? Really didn't know I did that much. I took it easy with only 50 yds, because I know and have read thru you all that you need to take b.a.b.y. steps.  

And nooo, I'm not converting into a barefoot triathlon runner anytime soon, but I'm giving myself the space to test the waters and allow my feet to grow strong.
Then, I indulged in some self made coconut water popsicles I learned from the O.N.E's website. Which btw, I'm doing a fabu giveaway for a CASE of O.N.E coconut water! Check it out!

Here,  lemme be a lil' spokesperson for em'...HA! (me at ~6am attempting a self held iphone photo):
Okay! So there ya have it. I nice pic of some veins poppin' outta my feet, and a fuzzy shot of moi with the juice. But had to share. And now...my question for you!: Do you wear orthotics and thought about tossin' em' out the door? Or have you tried Coconut Water yet? Talk to me, talk to me!

Comments

Emz said…
fun post!

I drink the coco water but it brings me to heaves. not totally sure why. thickness? smell? who knows.
AM! said…
EMZ- have you tried the O.N.E version? I swear it was WAY ezr to drink vs other brands. don't know why? maybe the coconuts are better in Brazil??;-)
Funny, I just tried coconut water for the first time yesterday. I consider myself to have a pretty varied palate, but, well EWWWW! I didn't waste the 60 calories :P It was like oyster juice or something... It wasn't ONE it was some organic kind I got from my co-op. It was in a juice box like that though.
A Prelude To... said…
When I started seeing a chiro in the Fall for my tendonitis and shin splints, she turned me on to the idea of "less" in my return to run, which is in part why I'm running in Nike Frees. I also make sure I'm constantly barefoot at home (where I work) and I can totally feel that my feet and legs are learning to work better on their own.

I'm hoping this translates into continued injury free me!
Christi said…
I just started wearing orthotics and right now I am not ready to give them up.

I haven't tried the O.N.E. yet but I am going to grab some this weekend.
Aimee said…
Woohoo for trying out going barefoot! Isn't it a great feeling? I love it!
mjcaron said…
Must be nice to feel good about your feet!

Just bought a pair of Aline inserts. So far I like them. We'll see. I also like to walk around the house barefoot as much as possible. I'm not injured or anything but I wanted to see if the inserts would improve my stride.

Haven't tried the coco water yet but I keep hearing about.
Wore custom orthotics from the age of 7/8 til 18 (parents insurance perks). Hated the process, but loved the results (MEGA flat feet...aka lazy ligaments).

Have never worn orthotics in running shoes, and live/die (at times) by my super Montrails (GREAT toe guard has saved me from belly flopping a number of times into rocky trails...).


The more I do a few yoga poses, the less issues in feet when running. Having some shin splint realities of late... but will deal with them in time (more swims, less runs this week).

Never tried coco water, but got up at 415 am (eek!) to put coconut oil in my hair after I realized it was getting straw like from the swims. 1 hour in a shower cap (and slight sleep) later, 4 washes out, and wah-lah! Beautifully silky hair!

Love me all things coconut!
When I was doing the 5k over the weekend, there was a woman speed-walking it barefoot. I still don't know if I could bring myself to try it, but I think it's cool.

I was so bummed. I ran out to find the coconut water the other day and they didn't have it. The search continues.
Anne-Marie said…
I used to wear orthotics in my running shoes, but once I switched to my Newtons I found I didn't need them any more.

Yay coconut water - will have to try making popsicles with it!

Popular Posts