Tri Girl Tri Sprint Race Report!

 All righty, I'm gonna start off with this race report with a full admission: I expected to do well for myself at this race. The few weeks leading up to the event, I set my sights on a possible top 3 overall. There... I said it;-) But then last week I realized I hadn't been doing much biking/swim training since Vineman- which was in mid July! That's almost three mo's ago. So...I sorta chuckled at my cockiness and re-evaluated my goal. I still wanted to go for it and finish strong and get around 1:20 (the winning time last year), and if I do 1:18 I'm stoked (the winning female time from same course, different co-ed sprint tri back in May).

Like I shared, I embarked on this race with two fellow friends, one who I helped coach for this race, and the other who is a runner, and hopped on board the tri express 1 week b4 the race (so all you runners out there wanting to tri a tri...you can do it!). So another goal was to find the balance of supporting my friends, and all athletes doing their first triathlon, and still race my race.


I don't have many pics to share-I know...dork here! But there's a post race pic of us above. The race weather was perfect, and it the it was a more intimate race with about ~500 athletes. The breakdown of the race:

1/2 Mile Swim: Instead of a mass swim start or waves, you started as soon as you crossed the timing mat. This was a new one for me. I had intended to be in the first wave, or go across the mat as one of the first ~20 peeps, but during my swim warm up realized I still had on my wedding rings. So...I had to run up the ~300ft swim ramp to T1 and drop them off. I missed the official race start, and ended up starting ~4 min into the race. That didn't affect my actual time, but it did affect my mental attitude b/c I didn't know who was in the lead or where I stood in the pack. 

But I managed to do the swim (with a wetsuit!) in 14:15- STOKED! I gave myself btwn 14-16 min, so I was happy. Then there was a ~200 ft incline run from outta the swim to the beginning of T1, so it shows my swim time as 15:38, okay, fine I'll take it;)

11 mile bike: 39:33. Beautiful hilly bike course. The roads were closed (always love it when they do that!) and I felt comfortable on my bike. I had an okay bike time, but frankly thought I'd be faster. aw well... 



3 mile run: The run course was 1/3 trail, and 2/3 road, and had a slight incline going out, so you got to run more downhill on the way back. nice. At this point of the race I knew who the contenders were, but I didn't know how far behind them I was b/c of my 'late' start. Also, the run part is where you can actually see/interact with fellow athletes, and give smiles, thumbs up, high fives along the way. So I wanted to keep my mental race cap on while supporting the other athletes. I feel like I did a fairly good job of this. I high fived my friends, and gave several thumbs up to ps along the way. And I came in with a 20:11

When I crossed the finish line and looked at my time it read... 1:18:04.  

1:18:04!

Ya better believe I was happy with this time! I ended up being 1st in my age group and 5th Over All. okay, another admission... I sorta thought my time was going to give me a top 3 OA, but not the case as there were some speedy gals! AND the top 2 OA women were 43 and 47!! How cool is that? Yes siree...definitely gives me hope/motivation/inspiration for future tri racing.
 Here's a shot of me with my 'winnings' under the finish line (ya can also see how pretty the day was). 

And I just now realized this is my first 1st AG win in a triathlon. I've placed 2nd and 3rd in others, but never a 1st in a triathlon. So I gotta feel good, because ~4 yrs ago I raced this same event when my twins were only 8 mo's, and I was so inspired/motivated by the AG winners. It became my athlete goal to get there someday myself. Well, I guess I did with this race. so yeah, I'll take it:)


That's my report in a nutshell. Thanks for reading it, and loving to talk tri/racing! I'm off for a bike/swim as soon as I wash one more load of dang couch slip covers!

Comments

Awesome job! That run is smoking! Is that a PR 5k for you?
AM! said…
Thx Anna Maria;-)- I don't think it's a PR b/c it was 3 miles not 3.1. That .1 would've prob tacked on ~20-30 seconds...;-)
Wow, congrats on taking 1st, thats impressive
Emz said…
1st place!! AMAZING. Just completely amazing.

Way to go!!!
Rae said…
Awesome! Congrats! Yay for 1st in AG! AND 5th overall!
Ewa said…
This was without much swim/bike training? WOW! I stop training for a week and my fitness goes to pieces. Again, WOW!
Anonymous said…
Holy smokes, you totally rocked it! Congrats.
Christi said…
Woo Hoo! You had an awesome race and a great finish! I am very jealous but also very excited for you. Keep up the great work!
Jason said…
Great race report. Congrats on the win that is awesome and now you are an inspiration/motivation to those that were there and saw your accomplishment.
Jill said…
Excellent job, Speedy!!!! :)
Caratunk Girl said…
WOW 1st place!! That is just awesome, congratulations! Great RR too!!
ShutUpandRun said…
Nice job!!!!!! First in AG!
Way to rock that race! First place AG is nothing to be mad about that is totally awesome! Looks like you guys had lots of fun! Can't wait for tri season!
misszippy said…
Way to tear it up out there! And an awesome placement!

I've had that same experience..done a time that the year before would have placed me much higher than it did the year I did it. But you rocked it regardless!
Unknown said…
Great Race report and Awesome Awesome Time!!! Congrats!!
Sherry said…
What a fantastic race! Way to go! And congrats on first AG win! Yay!! It's really awesome to look back and see where you've come from. I love going back and reading the first few entries of my blog when I'm feeling bummed... it puts an entirely new perspective on things! :-)
Pahla said…
WOW, congratulations on a terrific race and hardware!!
Julie said…
You are so freaking amazing woman! Awesome job Anne Marie! Woo hoo for taking 1st place for your age group:) You are so speedy fast...fast as a flash! Nice work!
RunningWhit said…
Congrats on a great race! Sounds like the perfect balance of fun and racing!
Unknown said…
Amazing race! You are one speedy lady :-) Good work!!
Christina said…
Impressive!
And I like how you aim high and try to shoot for the stars!

Good luck with the couch slip covers.
Heather said…
Great job! Very impressive!
JC said…
Nice job out there! Woop, Woop! Great in all three!
Velma said…
Great work - fist in age group!!!! You just inspired someone for next yea
Yeah anne marie! Such an inspiring report. This week I feel sick, so I've had to miss a few runs. Even though I "get it"... that there will be times that we get sick and have to slow down, it's hard not to feel bad about it. Not only do I miss my runs, I worry about losing my momentum, etc. How do you stay possitive when you have to "miss" training etc?
Love you, Heather
Anne said…
Congrats! YOu did an awesome job...wow! Yay for 1st in your AG and I gotta say, I love that first and second overall were in their 40's :)
Anne-Marie said…
Congrats!! Way to hit your goal time, and 1st AG is so exciting!
Regina said…
Wow, that is pretty great considering you haven't trained. Impressive. Congrats!
Badgergirl said…
Congrats on the AG win!
Lindsey said…
Holy cow, you are FAST!!

Popular Posts