Workouts for the Week




I initially was planning to create this blog solely around my weekly workouts and call it...tah dah: Workouts for the Week!  But I decided to broaden my palette and talk about the goals I create for all areas of my life.
I do follow a weekly workout plan and it's my map to stay on track, and gives me a reason to do what I'm doing.  Currently, I'm following a plan written by my trainer Luc Morin from Eperformance. This time of year is my 'off' season, so I'm not building up power/intensity, but rather focusing on efficiency, and building strength. My plan currently consists of 3 swims, 3 days of strength training, 5 bike sessions (here's me in the studio with heater blasting before my power session), and 3 runs. 
Here's my Workouts for the Week:
Monday
1. Strength Training (9 different exercises focusing on quads, hamstrings, calves and core) 
2. Power bike session on my trainer (warm up, fast spins, power gear with rpm of ~40, cool down for total of 40 minutes)
Tuesday: 
1. Swim (kicks w/fins, pulls, freestyle, IM for 1700 yd total)
2. Run 30 minutes, focusing purely on cadence of ~95
Wednesday:
1. Spin on bike trainer 30 min ~120 rpm
2. Spin on bike trainer 30 min ~110 rpm
Thursday:
1. Swim (kick w/fins, freestyle paddle pulls, large pulls, freestyle, backstroke for ~1800 yd total)
2. Strength Train (9 different exercises focusing on triceps, biceps forearms, core)
3. Run 30 minutes at ~95 cadence
Friday: 
1. Swim (pulls, kick, freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke for total of ~1900 yd)
Saturday:
1. Strength Train (9 different exercises focusing on core, shoulders, chest, and biceps)
2. Bike spin for 30 min at ~110 rpm
3. Bike: power session of w/u, high spins, high gear and ~35 rpm, cool down for total 40 minutes
Sunday:
1. Run: Hill run w/sprints for a total 30 minutes.


With this plan, I take a day off every 21 days. And yeah, this takes some getting used to, as I'm used to taking at least 1 day off a week. But I'm giving this new way a try. 
Now, I'd love to hear what you do for workouts this time of year, or any other thoughts or questions on training;)

Comments

I have a question! By taking only one day off a week... would that interfere with your body being able to recover efficiently? There are so many different activities I'd love to do but I've felt tied to having one/two days a week that I'm "recovering." I've been active since April, training for several road races (5k in July, 10k in Oct and now my first half in March) and I've been lifting weights 3x a week and doing light cardio in there. Do you think doing something like you're doing (only having one rest day every three weeks) would be overkill for a relative newbie like me?
AM! said…
Hi Becca!
I haven't done this new routine long enough yet to know if it's okay to recommend to others right now. My workouts currently are at an 6-8 (RPE) rate of perceived effort, so I'm not killing my body intensity wise like I used to when I did a 'normal' week w/1 rest day. So, I'd say since you've started in April, continue giving yourself 1 rest day a week, but if you're feeling like trying out the 3 weeks on/1day off plan, just listen to your body if it's telling you to take a break b4 the end of 3 weeks. Hope this makes sense and thanks for asking!

Popular Posts