Korean Spa'n in the City

I've benefited from Korean Spa's for the past 5 years, but only in LA and with my fearless friend who first introduced them to me. She was up this past weekend, so we decided to try one here in the Bay. Imperial Spa in Japan town was our destination.

If you've never been to a Korean Spa, it's definitely worth the experience. But be warned: these spas are not for the discreet. You need to have zero inhibitions in hanging out buck naked both in the open spa room and during your scrub/oil massage treatment. It's not your usual 'Day Spa in Wine Country' experience. No soft music with plush creams and gentle hands here. These women masseuses are here to treat your body like a slab of meat needing to be tenderized.

You begin with the showers, hot tubs, sauna and steam room for an hour with the general rule of silence or quiet talking being appreciated. Later your number is yelled and your treatment begins.
You lay completely naked on a flat hard bed w/plastic covering. Your
masseuse, who is only wearing a bra & underwear, splashes buckets of hot water on you (I found out they wear only this because it's so wet and steamy, that regular clothes or even bathing suits are too restrictive and uncomfortable). Then they begin to scrub you. Now, when I say scrub, I mean scrub you like you're a leftover dinner pan that's been sitting in the sink for days. You'll also be scrubbed everywhere. No nook or crevice is left untouched (except for your direct frontal part). Then more buckets of warm water are splashed over you, and you're covered in warm towels for your oil 'massage'.
I don't have the writing pizazz to accurately describe either the scrub or the massage, but let's just say the experience always has me wanting to scream 'Mercy!' at least a half dozen times. I resist, because I know it'll be worth the results.
After more buckets of warm water, you're doused with warm milk and given a real cucumber facial.

At the end, you're helped up and handed a tip envelope to leave at the front desk. I usually smile and look extremely dazed while trying to break the language barrier and show my gratitude in body language, but I'm a limp noodle so can only nod and smile.

It's then fun to primp in front of their big vanity mirrors and salon lighting, and stare at your shiny and squeaky clean skin.

I was very happy with this Korean Spa, yet I'd like to find one closer to home. Maybe somewhere in the East Bay like Pinole or Hercules area? Hmm....a fun lil' mission for me. And if you know of any please share!

Comments

Maureen said…
Remind me to tell you someday about my in-room massage by an elderly, blind Korean woman in Seoul. Strange interlude indeed. Not even nonverbals for communication. I was bruised all over. But, strangely, I did feel great afterward!
As a guy, this perspective could sound interesting out of context...but it certainly sounds like my body would appreciate it after some of my training weeks.

Short part is...let the wives go and relax; make sure they get to go to lunch after.

That allows for our hours put in to train for our events....trade-offs. :)
LILLY said…
is a Korean spa in Oakland or in Berkley? Could not find anything on the net...Would somebody know? I looooove the waters!
AM! said…
Hi Lilly,
This Korean Spa was in Japantown, SF. Imperial Spa.
Anonymous said…
Hi, I'm the editor of Trazzler.com and I was wondering if you might let us use your photo on this page:

http://www.trazzler.com/trips/imperial-spa-in-san-francisco-ca

We can provide a credit to you and a link.

--Megan Cytron, editor@trazzler.com

Popular Posts