To Co-Sleep ( with Twins!) or Not

More parenting videos on JuiceBoxJungle

After watching this (humorous) video and reading the latest NY Times article on the subject, I felt compelled to jump on the band wagon and share my side of the subject.

First and foremost, this is what I believe to be true: Whatever you decide, IS what's best for your kids, and THAT'S the way it's supposed to happen. period

For me, this is my story: We were blessed with twins and because I was mainly pumping and not doing a lot of breast feeding, co-sleeping wasn't needed for that purpose. However for bonding's sake, we attempted to co-sleep maybe two times, and the results? Uh... not good:

 2 adults, + 2 one week old babies in 1 bed= 2 whacked out, stressed parents who laid in the supine position all night in fear of waking up (or rolling onto) one of the babies. After the 2nd attempt, I realized in order to be the best mom I could be, I needed to get some SLEEP (and recover from an emergency c-section) . 

That being said, I believe it was WAY easier for me to be away from them at night because I knew they always had each other. I never worried if they were lonely because they've been together since the womb! They've slept in the same crib til' 8 mo's, and they still sleep together in the same room today. 

Now, don't get me wrong, at least weekly one will climb in our beds at 2 am for a snuggle fix, and we LOVE it. Then a half hour later we whisper that we're bringing them back to their bed, and they willingly go. I think they enjoy their own bed space too.

So this is my story, and I would LOVE to hear yours (either here or at juiceboxjungle) b/c I KNOW you have one! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ahh... the cosleeping or not woes! Our son (5 years) still joins us at some point in the middle of the night, but we're actually okay with it. We had some luck with the magical sleep fairy who brought toys when he slept in his own bed for a week, but he soon decided mom and dad's bed was better than the potential toys...

Popular Posts