Shifting the Bar one Letter: NYM to NHM!


Nike Half Marathon
I made a fairly big decision this week. And once I entertained the alternative, it immediately felt like the right call.  You see, this year I set out to run the New York Marathon. It was also going to be my first marathon EVER in a city  I've only visited once in my life. The combination of running through the boroughs of NY in my first marathon seemed alluring.

However, this year I've also set out to get serious about my business on creative coaching. I've spread my wings to now coach the whole person and develop empowering workshops that deliver authentic results. The combination of my fitness, counseling and teaching seem a perfect fit to bring to companies and teams.

But as the mid year approached, I began to realize I'm taking on A LOT. A new business and a new racing distance in a new city. The NYM will frankly take a LOT of my time, focus and energy. Is this where I really want to put my energy this year? I was struggling with the unclarity of focus for NYM. So during my morning journaling I asked myself that question. What do you want to do Anne Marie?

And I answered that I want to give myself a break, invest my time, energy and focus on my business and maintain my fitness with a run closer to home. I don't need to take on the marathon this year. I'm already taking on one in my career.

And as I sat with this idea I immediately felt relieved, rejuvenated, excited. It made simple sense. DUH! Of course AM. Invest my energy into my new business and allow myself to maintain my fitness by racing a more familiar distance closer to home.
And then...just as the universe works in synchronous ways, I received an email literally a few hours later congratulating me for getting into the Nike Half Marathon (NHM) here in San Francisco. A fabulous destination race right here in my back yard.

Right ON!

Now I get to race in SF with a dear friend, take in another photo pop with my Olympic BFF's (yes, a selfish plug to use the photo above!) and continue to forge my energy towards my business.

And really it's  just shifting the bar one letter.

Now, how about you? When have you shifted the bar with balancing fitness and work in your life? I'd love to hear about it!

Comments

Popular Posts