Five Reasons Running a Local 5k on Vacation is the Best!

Local 5k Finish Line

Local 5k races are simply the best. Here I am at the finish line of North East Kidney's Inaugural 5k I ran last week while on vacation in New York. And I'll tell ya what...without fail, I am always re-invigorated and motivated each time I cross a 5k finish line.

Five Reasons Running a 5k on Vacation is the Best:

1. You experience the lay of the land through running.

Where else do you get a cleared running path, with mile markers and an aid station while simultaneously taking in the sights of your vacation land?

2.  You meet new running buddies and other locals.

You're not really meeting runners at the pool, amusement park or zoo while on vacation. But you'll find them flocking to a 5k. And it's so fun to meet new runners from different parts of the world. And through coming together to run a 5k- you realize how very similar we all are- regardless of where we live. We all have our warm up rituals, our pre/post race snacks, our favorite running gear, etc.

3. They're often small and not intimidating and the money goes straight to a local grass roots organization. 

This 5k had maybe ~200 runners. and the race fee went straight to the North East Kidney Foundation- a grassroots organization that helps people and families suffering from kidney disease and problems. 5k local trophy

4.  Get a confidence boost- you can often 'place' in your age group or be an overall winner.

For this...I gotta be honest. I was STOKED to win a trophy. A TROPHY! I've never won a trophy for running. A ribbon or medal yes, but a full on trophy?! Talk about an awesome souvenir! And I can't even begin to tell you how stoked my kids were that I won a trophy. Yes, I will be milking this one for a while. (I'm the one with visor, glasses, shirt and pants protecting myself from the SUN vs. the college kids)

  5k top three

5. You earn bragging rights to say you 'raced' while on vacation.

Yup, people will be impressed. And you'll feel good knowing you ran a race while on vacation. You'll  get to show off the picture as proof- maybe do a FB status update, and imbibe on your well deserved vacation food.

* Simply put, they're the Best Deal for Your Money. 

This should be  a #6, but 5 sounded better. But for about twenty bucks, where else can you get in an awesome workout, take in a new area that has already been cleared for running and monitored with volunteers cheering you on along the way, people in front and behind to push you to run HARD and finally attaining the well deserved high as you cross the finish line. Then post race - you get bottled water, bananas, maybe a goody bag and maybe race shirt to sport for the day. Looking like a true local. Here's my list. Now...how about YOU? What do you think of racing a local 5k? Have you done one lately while on vacation? How was it for YOU? I'd love to know! I'm off to go shine my trophy :-)

Comments

Jessie said…
I absolutely agree. Although it stinks when someone comes to a race I am running and I come in second to them (in my age group of course) and I find out they are from out of town! lol
AM! said…
Jessie~ agree agreed! I've had that happen to me as well!
Alison said…
It's also a great distance for a vacation because you don't have to spend time resting up for the race!
AM! said…
Alison! - SOOOO true! Great point. I should have made this list Top Ten Reasons... ;)
Raquelita said…
Woohooo! Congrats on your trophy! I ran a 10K last year when I was in Boston on vacation, and I'm running a 5K when I'm in NY next month for work. I love getting in a local race when I'm traveling if I can make it work.

Popular Posts