What's Working Wednesday: The Power of Now

The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle

I just finished reading The Power of Now and I think I'm starting to get the essence of the BE-Ing ness of the book. But maybe not. Oh, I dunno. I think I am, but what he's suggesting to think or actually, to NOT think, and just BE...is hard.
Who out there has read this book? Power Of Now
It took me a bit to get into BE-ing with the book. Mainly because it's taking a very simple concept and explaining it in an analytic method that will allow our modern minds to understand. It's really asking us to apply this simple concept at a very deep level. And once you allow your mind and all of it's ego to move out of the way and let your true BE-ing-ness just be- it's a very transformative process. Yes, really I just used that word. Because it is.

Surrender to Resistence

One concept I'm attempting to bring (if just a bit) in my life is Surrendering to Resistence. Basically, we all live and react in a world of constant mind resistance to all sorts of things. We allow our resistance to define who we are and how we show up in the world- all at a very deep unconscious level. So the book's idea is to begin to be aware of resistance showing up in any/all areas of your life-and simply surrender to the resistance of ____________(fill in the blank). Once you surrender, then detach yourself from all the emotion around it. Don't  judge or give any value to the resistance. Just surrender to the resistance, feel the emotional and detach from the emotion and resistance. From there you it's almost like it's not 'running' you anymore. You feel lighter and resolved.

In my Life

I've applied this several times to the most minute of things: The annoying dog barking outside while trying I'm to work, not getting the reaction or answer I want, etc. It's helped.  And I know it's like anything though- Repetition is the Mother of Mastery, so I just keep reminding myself to let it become more of a daily practice for me and see what happens AM.

What's Working for YOU?

So, that's what's working for me over here. Now how about YOU? Have you read this book? Does is work for you? What else is working for you this week? I'd LOVE to know:)

ALSO- a reminder:



Comments

Anonymous said…
I have also read the book. It helped to get through when my dad died. I am now re-reading it in short bursts. I am trying to live by the phrase from the book--"Accept, then Act" So simple, to the point, and relevant to every life situation. Much harder to do, but useful when I can apply it.
Evilcyber said…
I read that book and in my opinion it simply is a very complicated way of saying you should have confidence in yourself and your personality. And all that mixed up with pseudo-science and some spiritual recycling.

Does it work for some people? Probably. Has selling thousands of the book made Tolle's life better? No doubt ;)

Popular Posts