Designing a Mental Race Day Map

Hi! Above is my mental race map for the Napa to Sonoma Half I'm planning to run this Sunday. I've written about this strategy before, but let me recap it's essence again:


I had the privilege of listening to former Olympic Sports Psychologist,  Bobby McGee, almost 2 years ago at the USAT Level 1 coaching triathlon clinic. He shared this Mental Game Plan exercise with us:
Exercise #1:Print a map of your race route and visualize the following:
1. How will your body feel at the different points of the race?
2. What will you tell yourself for motivation during the different points of the race?
3. What do you want to remember during the race?

Next, write those sentiments on your race map. Then, keep the map in a visible place (bathroom mirror, kitchen fridge)  to refer to up til' race time.
 
I've used this strategy for all my big races over the past two years, and it's fared me well. However, this time it's different as I committed to this race only ~4 weeks ago...which is hardly a drop in the bucket for training in order to feel race ready for a 13.1 miles (at least in my reality). So I've had to re-adjust my normal race goals and dig deep in a different way to come up with mantras that are realistic and simultaneously get me fired up. 

It also happens that my outlook on how to race has shifted. I'm now coming from the point of wanting to feel in my heart the power of my feet when I run. Before, I've attempted to condition myself to detach from the pain and discomfort my body experienced, and almost race existentially- as if it's not really me but merely a shell of a body racing. This strategy could sound hollow, but it's gotten me this far. Now I'm finding I want to shift my energy all inward into myself; my body and heart is where I want to go to bring out the best in my running. 

So I have my usual mantra's in place for the race: Quick steps, EZ EZ beginning, relaxed shoulders, and tall back. Those will work well for miles 1-~9.5. Then my newer mantra's will kick in:

It'll be like I'm having a conversation with the Earth/Universe and repeating 'Universe- help me believe in ME.', Feet- show me to believe in me, show me the way.

Move outta my head to my heart AM

That's where I'm at. Oh, but I do have one more. Tonight as the kids and I were drawing, I drew a picture of me and lil' A running. She asked to color it in, and I happily obliged. Then ten min later she said 'Look Mommy, I gave us butterfly wings...'

Just like that. So easy for her to see and create. And it's the sweet cherry on top of my sundae right there. The perfect quip to add to my overall race mantra: 
Run from my Heart with Butterfly Wings:


Now, what's your race mantra? You gave me a lot of good ones before here, and I'd love to hear how you take on a race!

Comments

justme said…
love this post. need to do this for my race
KovasP said…
The menatl map is a cool idea, might work for long training runs as well.
A Prelude To... said…
I like your mantras!!!
AM! said…
Hi all-
thx! I'm excited for my new slant with my mantras for this race...;)
Raquelita said…
Oh, that's a beautiful mantra! Thanks so much for sharing this! I am definitely going to do this for my next half and for Chicago.
Quinton J said…
I do the same thing...I always think about how I'm going to feel at different parts of my races. and my favorite thing to say to get through the tough parts of my races is "finish this". i've even said it out loud in my races...you should see how people look at me.

Popular Posts