Applying the Physical to the Emotional Play Ground

Hi! I felt this post appropriate to share as I've had a few ps inquire about my running triathlon journey coupled with my own 'a-ha' moment this week...

I believe I'm in the process a transformation. At least that’s what if feels like. And what that entails exactly is still up in the air- because I’m in the middle of it all right now (I know, don’t we all sorta feel this way?) What I do know is that I’ve been on this journey for a while-like years. And as I look back I realize it began in the form of the physical self about six years ago. That’s when I first got clear on how my body was currently showing up in life and that it didn’t align with my true potential. I wasn't necessarily overweight, but I wasn't at my healthy strong weight either. So I began the work to treat it better. I ate better. I gave my body exercise. I modified portions and I started giving it the respect it deserved. The efforts paid off and I felt like I was beginning to show up as my true self.

I was then blessed with a twin pregnancy….

Fast-forward one year after birth and I continued my physical transformation. (Yes, twin birth itself is one major physical transformation, but that’s for another post…) 

I embraced my first triathlon-training program and experienced first hand the power of my possibility through pushing my physical limits. The range of feelings experienced through my training ranged from pure elatedness to downright pain. Highs and lows and all the confusing ones in between- that’s what you get with running and triathlon training.

And talking about my emotions as they related to my training was a comfortable entry point in discussing uncomfortable emotions. I could express frustration over a disappointing work out, or my numb confusion with a poor swim time. Experiencing these uncomfortable feelings in my training was an easier way to express because my body- legs, lungs, arms could justify and feel that emotion.

And here I am six years later, and I realize my physical transformation has been the groundwork to grant myself permission to embrace an emotional one. One that includes learning to express those same myriad of uncomfortable feelings in all areas of my life- not just when related to training. Because it's hard for me to give a voice to my feelings when I'm sad, hurt, frustrated or uncomfortable with something, especially when I don't have a physical pain associated or attached to it.  

So what does this all mean? No, I'm not becoming Debbie Downer over here. I'm simply bringing more awareness to the uncomfortable emotions in all areas of my life-not just in physical training. Because living life fully includes experiencing all emotions in life- not just the high or easy ones.  And I am giving myself permission to ask for support, compassion and help- just like I would with my triathlon training.  


Oh, and I'm getting out of my own way to allow it to happen...or at least trying to.



Thanks for listening friends;)

Comments

Emz said…
this
is
awesome.

"permission to ask for support, compassion and help"

it's hard. it's hard to ask [could not agree more]. This is a great post. Written well. Loved it.
Thank you.
KovasP said…
Enjoy the emotional transformation - just like the physical, you'll come out better at the end.
Raquelita said…
It can be so hard to ask for support and help, but sometimes it is so necessary. We cannot take all the burdens of the world on our shoulders all the time.
amazing post. amazing transformation. i love real. I love you.
Good post, thank you for sharing your feelings with us.
Anonymous said…
Thank you! Life isn't perfect, and sometimes I feel like people don't acknowledge that negative emotions are okay.
Aimee said…
This was a great post..thank you! I definitely think it's hard to ask for help and support sometimes. It's O-KAY to feel down and out every once in awhile. And when that happens, we'll be here for you!
Anne-Marie said…
super post - thanks for sharing!

I love this part:
"Because living life fully includes experiencing all emotions in life- not just the high or easy ones. And I am giving myself permission to ask for support, compassion and help- just like I would with my triathlon training"

so nicely stated!
Oh, I totally relate to this!!

I melted down at work today because of the actions of a co-worker that underminded my year-long project (which the co-worker had no part in....)

As I was emotional in a professional setting, I appologized.. and I felt bad for feeling emotional (inside my head I kept thinking "I'm in yoga teacher training... I should let it go..and be yogini-esque"...)

A colleague who's step-son died in September of last year said this to me, "Don't EVER minimize your feelings...." and so I cried more! In front of him and another good friend!

I have to say it felt really good! I was able to vocalize my emotions to a different co-worker (who was equally bothered by what had happened) and at the end.. about 1 hour later as I drove to a volunteer movie premier.. I called this co-worker and said..

"Maybe it's a good thing that *insert name* did that because it made me deal with my emotions" ..

Trust me, others of us get it! :-) Thank you for sharing...

And remember...there WAS an eclipse yesterday ;-)

Peace to all!
Sherri said…
Holy Toledo Girl!!! This post was AMAZING! Thanks! =)
Anne said…
Love the authenticity of this post! To fully appreciate the highs, we must acknowledge the lows. Thanks for sharing AM!
Awesome post. To be truly aware of all our emotions and what they represent is key.
You are so real and I love this!

Popular Posts