Training Tuesday: Which Shoe??

Hi All-I need your help. I'm in absolute desperate need of a new pair of shoes (I know, aren't we all?) While I *heart* my Newtons, I want to cross-run in other shoes for variety and I'm left in a quandary over which shoe to choose.
I know I could sit and read reviews on various shoe sites all day, but frankly I'm not in the mood and I don't know those people. But I DO know you. So what better forum to ask for an opinion (if you got one) on my shoe choice.


Here's what I've come up with. Basically, I'm a more minimalist shoe runner (no...not Vibrams, but light and something that makes me feel speedy w/out compromising a lil' support). The choices:




1. Brooks RacerST5 (above)


2. Saucony Grid (above)
3. Saucony Kinvara 2 (above)

4. SCOTT T2 (above)

5. New Balance WR1400 (above)

They're all in the same price range and general weight category. I just don't have much experience with these brands or shoes so would LOVE your input! I'm leaning towards the Saucony Grid or the New Balance WR1400, but this is based on how the shoe looks and description.

So help a fellow runner gal out and tell me which shoe?
Thanks! I'm aiming to order a pair by the end of the week;)

Comments

From personal use, i can tell you the brooks st shoes are good solid shoes. Light with a touch of support
AM! said…
BDD- Thx! I've had a pair of Brooks b4, but a very cushy pair while I had serious PF issues, so I'm looking to see if they make a good minimalist style shoe as well...
misszippy said…
The Saucony Grid looks to have the least heel drop, so that would be where I would lean...
Tri-James said…
I like the Kinvara and want to buy a pair but all of the reviews say they wear fast!
ltlindian said…
not to complicate things further, but I LOVE my nike lunar trainers! They are so light and comfortable. Also, I have a friend that had been running in the vibrams but they chaffed his feet after 10 miles or so and he is now loving the Nike Free. Both are minimalist style shoe. Good luck!
Unknown said…
I've personally used the Kinvaras and the Brooks ST4. I love the Brooks for longer runs. They are light and give you that Bouncy feeling. I Love the Kinvaras for speed work. I cannot wear these for my longer runs. Hope this helps!
Maggs said…
The shoe that I absolutely love (besides my newtons) is the Brooks Green Silence. Very minimalist.

I tried the brooks Launch and even though they call it a light weight trainer/neutral shoe...it's too much shoe for me.

I also love zoot shoes. The ultra TT and the Ultra race.
Maggs said…
The shoe that I absolutely love (besides my newtons) is the Brooks Green Silence. Very minimalist.

I tried the brooks Launch and even though they call it a light weight trainer/neutral shoe...it's too much shoe for me.

I also love zoot shoes. The ultra TT and the Ultra race.
Unknown said…
I LOVE my Kinvara's!! For me they were great straight out of the box and really do a super job of putting you in that midfoot position. They are REALLY light and have a 4mm hell drop I believe. I have only run 100 miles in them and the sole is wearing on the midfoot. I don't know if I shuffle and this is the cause or what. I actually wrote about this on my blog today. I found the Kinvara 2's at Road Runner Sports for under $60!!
Unknown said…
the Kinvara's were great in my 1/2 marathon and 10 milers as well
Beth said…
I'm embarrassed to say I would totally pick based on color. Obviously you shouldn't listen to me, but I like the Brooks. :)
AM! said…
@Beth-OH! I'm SOSO that way too!

in fact...I think I just decided to get the new balance b/c of their colors!;-)

we'll see...;-)
Lisa said…
I wish I could help you out, but I haven't worn any of these shoes and I think shoes are so incredibly personal. At least they're all pretty cute! ;) Can't wait to hear what you end up with!
Sorry hon no help here. I have had alot of NB and love them but my latest are Asics and I am enjoying those too. Good luck!
Anne-Marie said…
Two of my friends recently got Kinvaras and love them.

Though, if it were me, I'd say to stick with the Newtons. I *heart* mine too!!
I have some Saucony Kinvaras but I only use them for wearing around now because I tried to move into them too quickly and might have hurt myself from them but now I'm wondering if it was just from the running. I LOVE my Brooks Launch. Have you tried them?
i like the brooks and nb.... don't use either brand but they are cute :)
Anonymous said…
I tried on the NB today and it it felt fantastic. There is a lot going on with the all those colors...I'd prefer something a little less 1985.

Popular Posts