Killer Filler Friday: Fabrics, Softeners, and Tennis Balls!

Hi All! Yesterday, I had the pleasure of learning some simple KEY WAYS to keep our fitness clothes working well, from a guru fitness apparel product manager. They're so simple and I just didn't know! So I'm spreadin' the word....


1. Use scent FREE detergents with your exercise clothes! WHY? Because the chemicals of those scents actually block the performance fabric's ability to wick well and not smell.


2. Do NOT use fabric softeners in the dryer with your exercise clothes! WHY? Again, the fabric softener agents just clog up the wicking fabrics ability to work well. So what happens is, the wicking performance fabric can't 'breathe' as well, can't absorb the sweat, and smells worse because the softening agents are clogging up the fabric. (And don't use fabric softeners with towels either. For the same reason. It makes the towels lose their ability to absorb water!;-)


3. Use Tennis Balls in the Dryer. The tennis balls help reduce the static...Big Time!


4. What does 'Wicking' mean?: It's the fabric's ability to move sweat away from the sweat zones quickly. It disperses the sweat. Polyester is a gem for this. Cotton is horrible for this. Cotton breathes well, poly...not so much. So a perfect blend is key...;-)


So that's what I got over here? Now my question for you? Did you know any of these tips? Ya got any more you can share with us? Would LOVE to know! 


Now, I'm off to buy some scent free detergent to get my HUGE load o' running laundry done this weekend!

Comments

KovasP said…
There's a new cotton blend that supposedly wicks like tech fabric but is soft like cotton. Can't remember the companies that are using it.
Teamarcia said…
Good info! I didn't know about the scent thing but we're scent free here so all good.
I air dry all my wicking stuff. I've found that things I've accidentally dried get a perma-stink feature I find highly repulsive.
Have a great weekend!
Christi said…
All great things to know! Thanks so much for sharing!
Beth said…
I didn't know about the scented detergent, thanks for the tips!
I hang my tech fabric stuff, but I didn't know about the free detergent. I have these things called dryer balls that are a fancy tennis ball ha ha.
XLMIC said…
This is really good info. I didn't know about the scented detergent, but I did know about fabric softener.
adena said…
good info. I hang all my workout clothes. Don't tennis balls make the dryer really loud??
Maggs said…
I'll try the tennis ball trick.
Kelly said…
I don't put exercise clothes in the dryer--it seems to make them hold "the stink"! The best detergent I've found is called Win. Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore. Sports Authority used to sell it, but I can't find it there or online. I just tried a Tide variety (w/ Febreze) and that works.
Aimee said…
Awesome info. I hang all of my workout gear, so no dryer for me!
trailmomma said…
I had no idea about the tennis ball! I generally just air dry all exercise clothes but that gets unsightly and takes forever. :-)

Fleet Feet stores sell a brand of detergent that will help remove that "smell" that often sticks with wick-away type clothing too.
Two options, but not to be used at the same time: baking soda or vinegar.

I was almost all of my laundry with dye/color/scent free detergent and a heaping scoop of baking soda. The baking soda acts as a fabric softener, and all of my clothes are delightful!

You can also use white vinegar and it will defunk clothes well. Plus, baking soda and vinegar are mighty cheap compared to fabric softener.

Oh, when I toss in the clothes in the dryer (a rarity), after the baking soda, they are basically static free. The very rare load will be staticy, and I don't use tennis balls in the dryer either.

Works for me.
Unknown said…
I had no idea! Thanks for the tips :-)
Kris said…
Thanks for the tips. Knew about the detergent and I hang exercise clothes to dry. But, I didn't know about the tennis balls. I tried them yesterday afternoon on the kids clothes. It seems to work. That will save me some money if I don't have to use dryer sheets!
Skin Tightening said…
I like the tennis ball trick, thank you!

Popular Posts