5 Reasons Our CompuTrainer is Da Bomb...

Now, before I get to my reasons why I *heart* our Computrainer, lemme just say this relationship took years to cultivate. I'm not a techy sorta gal, and the Computrainer is a tech-freak's Nirvanna. So while we've had this device for oh..about 3 years, it's only been in the last where I experienced and appreciated the benefits of this pricey contraption. 


So, I show you via my 20 min time trial bike spin I did last week, why I've come around and truly feel lucky to have this trainer to work with...(caveat...the chart below is not from my trial spin, but from my warm up 30 sec's in)




1. (Aside from the graph just looking cool), it shows you your pedal efficiency. See in orange up top where it says, LEFT and RIGHT? That's the efficiency of my stroke. I've been told that anything above ~70 is good. 


2. It shows your LEFT and RIGHT foot watt (power) distribution. You see in orange where it shows %WAtts and 50 in white? That's good. That means each foot had equal distribution. That's what you're aiming for. However, as you start to fatigue, so does your technique and you'll often find your right foot doing more of the work.


3. It shows your current MPH, Avg MPH, Current Watts, and RPM. All at the same time.


4. From the information, can also use your heart rate monitor to figure out your training zones. From my time trial test, I have these zones to help me know what watts I should be pushing for my different spins:

# ZONES MIN MAX
7/8 SPEED 390 536
6 ABOVE THRESHOLD 185 195
5 THRESHOLD 165 185
4 SUB THRESHOLD 135 165
3 STEADY PACE 95 135
2 HIGH ENDURANCE 45 95
1


LOW ENDURANCE   -15




45



5. It just makes ya look pretty hard core!;-) HA! The (closed) black computer is where we set up the programs to see the cool graph shown above (this pic is post spin, hence why it's all steamy, foggy):
So there ya have it. My newfound appreciation and love for the Computrainer. Now, my question for you? Do you use a computrainer or ever used one? Do you think you'll ever get one down the road in your bike/tri life? Now, I'm off to sneak in a sub threshold spin before kid drop off...peace out friends!

Comments

I sooooooo want a computrainer, and race wheels, I can justify buying either right now ( I only pay cash on gear), so I am a loser, wish I was rich
AM! said…
BDD- oooh! That's a tough one! Which to buy...a compu trainer or race wheels. They both are awesome. Currently, I borrow my DH's for my 'A' race, and yah I feel uber cool w/them.

hmmm...which will ya get?
XLMIC said…
That is way cool! If I were seriously into cycling I would be really wanting one of those :)
Christi said…
I am with BDD on this one. I really want a computrainer but then I want wheels and well an actual tri bike!
Emz said…
holy
freaking
cow.

I wouldn't even know what to do with all those #'s but I still want it. ;)
misszippy said…
That is pure awesome. I have a friend who won one at a race raffle--how lucky is that? I pretty much stay low tech on the trainer, but that would be tempting.
Maggs said…
Whoa? I see a graph on your post! Glad you are actually looking at the data now :-)
Heather said…
That is so cool! I don't think I'd ever get one because it would probably take me forever to figure it out.
Alison said…
Wow! So, I am also a bit of a techophobe(?), and I have to admit that this post scared me a little bit! But you seem really excited about it, and I saw the word "efficiency" -- that's gotta be useful info ;-)

For real: I think stuff like this is awesome if you can master it!
Yes, computrainer, powermeter, race wheels...just trying to stay away from that for now. I can't really justify the expense. I figure I am such a beginner, I'll get faster no matter what:) Nice that you and your hubby can share, that makes the investment really worthwhile!
Tri-James said…
Computrainers are cool - it is the structured workouts that make you faster.
Ewa said…
Now I want one too. I am such a gadget junky.
Aimee said…
Computrainers are so cool and I've heard so many great things about them! I really wish I had one, but a new kitchen and bath are calling our names instead..ha ha!
Unknown said…
I don't really bike, only to get places and not as exercise. But if I did I imagine I'd totally love all those stats!

Popular Posts