5 Ideas Learned (so far) from Lore of Running!


Well, I told you I was on fuego with my reading lately. I just finished the a.w.e.s.o.m.e Born to Run, so figured I'd keep the running ball rolling and dive head first into this Bible: Lore of Running. I'm only on page 58 (out of 931 DENSE pages), and have skimmed probably one third of the 57 pages, but, I'm still learnin' stuff. Here's what I can recall so far. I figured I'd bullet mark the ideas, sorta like if I were studying for some big test or something, which gracias a dios I'm NOT): 


1. We have 2 types of muscle fibers: Type 1 and Type 2. Higher Type 1 muscle fibers  help make endurance runners rock, higher % of Type 2 muscle fibers make sprint runners rock. However Noakes believes these high % of Type 1 fiber muscles alone aren't a significant factor for prolonged long term endurance success.


2. Inborn characteristics of certain skeletal muscles may explain why most world class sprinters originate from West Africa, and why East, North, and South Africans, especially Kenyans dominate long distance races.


3. A runner's VO2 (maximum oxygen consumption) alone does not predict a runner's ability or performance. Joan Benoit has a higher VO2 max than Alberto Salazar, but Alberto is a faster marathoner. Running economy (the amount of oxygen used when running at a constant speed) is a greater predictor of athletic performance than VO2 max.


4. Bobbing up and down when running takes more oxygen/energy than more economical runners who glide with very little vertical movement.


10. Running in nylon will make you faster than running in cotton! Okay, lemme say...it makes a difference at the world class level. It can shave ~13 seconds off a world class runner's marathon time. That's a lotta time! 


Again, I'm only on page 57, but despite the book being uber dense and well, HUGE...I'm still motivated to read peruse it each night. Now my question: Have you embarked on this book? If so, did you gain a lot from it? Or, have you learned anything new about running/performance lately? I'll be in a lil' dressing room for 5.5 hrs today (for work) and would LOVE to hear from the outside world;-)  

Comments

Teamarcia said…
Kudos to you for wading through that tome. I've had it sitting here for well over a year and haven't done more than skip around. Thanks for distilling some good stuff!
Beth said…
I haven't read it but it sound so interesting! I did love Born to Run!!!
This was educational, thanks for sharing
Joanne said…
I just bought that book this weekend. I kept looking at it in the store, not sure if I wanted that huge tomb of a book staring at me, willing me to learn more and more about every aspect of running. I finally caved.
I have one more Ultra running story to get through then I'm hitting all those 900 plus pages.
Have fun trying on hot clothes today with your hot little body! :) I'm assuming you're referring to your gig trying on Athleta stuff? I have this book and yes, it is great to peruse and use as a reference. I've learned so much about running just since starting this blog in October. Now I'm kind of at a point where I realize that I might have to make some big changes if I'm to go the next level up with my running...like heart rate...I never thought i'd use my heart rate monitor so I got the garmin without it but now I'm realizing that it might help me. Happy Tuesday to you!! And happy dense reading!
Anne said…
Thanks Anne-Marie. I'm sure there is a way to reroute, but I don't want to maintain any link to that old blog, so I figure deleting it completely and not linking the new blog to it is probably safer. :)

That's a pretty heavy sounding book...yikes!
Maggs said…
I haven't read it yet. I'll just keep reading all the synopsis everyone posts. Is that enough?
misszippy said…
Sounds like a fun book. I certainly know that I do NOT have any type 2 muscle fibers. Sprinting? What is that?

Thanks for sharing.
Jill said…
One of my favie books, so much to absorb. Enjoy!
So much good information....keep em coming!
Alison said…
Ooh ooh I am looking forward to more facts! (Tho 900+ pages, I imagine that'll take quite a bit of time!)
Jessie said…
No I have not read this book but I may have to give it a try. Im always up for info on the mechanics of running. I find the human body very interesting and so reading books on how the body reacts to running is right up my ally. Its pretty bad I will read about running but not trashy novels. lol I like Amanda@runninghood did not use my heart rate monitor at first then I read Marathoning for mortals and they talk A LOT about the use of a heart rate monitor. I have been using it for about 4 months and LOVE it. I have increased my speed a lot. I think its a great tool.
trailmomma said…
I have Lore of Running although I haven't read it yet. Interesting fact about the cotton. You'll smell better to I suppose in Nylon! ha
RunToTheFinish said…
ohhh i haven't read this one yet, but now I'm intrigued!! love me a good running book
Those are some interesting facts. I think I haven't developed my running interest enough yet to get through 931 pages, though!
Laura said…
I haven't read that one but I've read Daniel's Running Formula, which is a really good one too. It goes down to the nitty gritty of the science, which I think is totally interesting! Happy reading.
Christina said…
I won't bobble up and down anymore.
Anonymous said…
I have this book... It is intimidating. It is HUGE. I've scanned it a ton. I need to dive in even more!

Popular Posts