What's Working...and Not so Much Wednesday!

What's Working:
 1. Look at this! I happened to hop into a Starbucks yesterday for a much needed caffeine jolt, and I was surprised to see the calories listed on all, yes ALL their coffee drinks. Then I looked below to their pastry/muffin/sandwhich case and found the same thing. Well..all I gotta say is this: it's about time someone let the cat outta the bag! All those suckers are loaded with calories (and fat), and it's easy to get blindsided by a mere 'zucchini muffin' (as it sounds so healthy!) breakfast when in reality it holds a ~400 plus calories and god knows how much fat. 
I was in a serious state of wonder over this discovery, when the person behind me in line told me about a law passed here in California and came into effect on January 1st. I'm pretty sure I voted yes for this one (it was ~5 yrs ago- foggy memory with props) and it's come to fruition. Let's see if it can make a difference on obesity here in good ol' Cali...

And Not so Much...

1. I miss my two most favorite pair of glasses:

Above - my former every day, hip, cool, awesome Oakley glasses. I bought them when I was ~ 4mo prego (in leiu of clothing) and they kept me feeling cool til' now. Wah....You and your lenses will be missed.


And ...my first pair of Tifosi's. They're still awesome! They've been my BFF's in all my training these past two years. But they're now missing the rubber ends on the sides- so they've virtually become lethal weapons. I still love them but I must move on.....

Unless of course I muster the energy to contact each sunglass company and see if there's a way to order those replacement parts. Hmm...will I actually do this?  I took the time/energy to post about em' right'? Let's see;-) Will keep ya posted...

And that's basically what's working and not so much over here. Now YOU! What's working and not so much in your neck of the woods. Would LOVE to hear it! Talk to me, talk to me;-) 

Comments

Christi said…
My first goal for the week has been conquered! I went to masters swim. What's not working, my diet. I have eaten emotionally too much this week. I must curb this!
AM! said…
Christi!
nice job! I'm a lil' jealous over here...;-0
Maggs said…
I recommend Maui Jims. That way the next pair of glasses you fall in love with you can have the frames replaced for free and the lenses replaced for about $70 (all their stuff is polarized) if you ever need to.
Ewa said…
I am trying to avoid Starbucks because all their stuff is soo tempting. It is just hard to get only coffee.
The year has been pretty good so far - I keep active and happy. Can't ask for much more.
Amanda said…
I agree, I love that some of these places are having all the calories and fat listed on things! Makes it so much easier to decide if and what to eat.

I mean, maybe I do want a muffin? Well, at least I know what I'll be consuming right away.
Katie said…
They started putting the calorie counts on everything in NY a few months ago and I LOVE it!

I was surprised when I first saw it too, because I hadn't heard about the new law being passed.
I still get whatever drink I want at Starbuck's (on occasion) because I only ever drink 1/4 of it at a time (and that is on the smallest size)
Well thats not completely true, I don't get the cold drinks because those I know I would chug.

What's working this week for me~ My workouts have been downright amazing!! Which then inspires me to eat better :D
I love that law. I am amazed by Starbucks food. Reduced fat cake is even a ton of calories and fat. It's only reduced relative to other foods there.
Been a while, just checking in. Sorry about the "shades" it's so hard when you have a fave and something happens. I am WAY to close to my glasses as well. =)
What's working for me this week? TRX (have you tried it?) and my swimming. Back at it after a nasty 3-week cold. Try swimming while you can't breathe...not so great.
What is out of control for me. Eating. Bad! Working on that. Not that I am eating too much, but maybe not enough, and not good-for-my-body food.
And my blog. Have been unmotivated to write. Getting back on track as of today!
Have a great week!
Anne-Marie said…
If the 'healthy' zucchini muffin is ~400 calories, might as well just indulge in the coffee cake since it's only a few more! really, I think that's great they're doing that. Maybe it will inspire them to create some low-cal, healthy options!

What's working: My 'structured' tri training started on Monday. First masters swim on Monday am in ~6 weekes = bliss :)

What's not working: I think I'm coming to the realization that the career path I've chosen is not something I'm enjoying or finding fulfilling. I have some ideas in mind, and I think it's time to start doing some research and reaching out...
ShutUpandRun said…
I'm not sure about having those calories right there in my face. I may never buy a scone again. Ignorance is bliss.

I wear Tifosis too. Got them on sale at the reioutlet.com.
What's working: writing out my fitness goals in my blog makes me feel accountable to someone, which makes me more driven to succeed.

What's not working: Me. I'm here reading blogs instead of spending the day in Quickbooks, closing out the year. Whoops.
Unknown said…
I used to work at Starbucks way back, I remember all those CRAZY calorie counts. Glad they are posting it. Glad it works for ya.
LC
Working: solid work outs, co-worker support, getting yearbook stuff done, mostly healthy eating

Needs improving: emotional eating at work (I'm looking for solutions during my high/low times and will find a way...), exhaustion (maybe the body is saying something...), middle schooler hormones and attidues (is there a cure for that? heehee!)

Healthy Journeys to All,

:-)
XLMIC said…
Working: being available to my kids and husband. Eating better.

Not working: still need to work on sleep (why do we need to sleep anyway? lol), still need to drink more water.
I bet there will be no change at Starbucks. People just don't care about the calories(except us runners)
Leah F said…
What's working for me? My new orthotics! Okay, it's only been one run, and it was only 2 miles, but I think it's working!

Bummer about your shades! I still wear my favorite Ryders even though I stepped on them and they're crooked.
Beth said…
I love the calorie count! hope CO gets it soon.
Velma said…
Info is good!! Panera has all the info on their menus - love it.

Maybe fixing glasses should be your goal next week :)
Caratunk Girl said…
I love that different places are starting to put taht stuff on their menus - it isn't law here yet in Maine, but hopefully soon will be. EEKS 400 calories!

Poor sunglasses...

Thanks for your kind words on my blog BTW. You rock.

Popular Posts