T-Day Family Fun Turkey Trot: Race Report!

How much do we all love a good race report eh? Well for this one, it's not so much a report on a race, but rather an account of the family/friend support that went into our ever evolving lil' Turkey Trot.

Pre Race:






Kids making race day posters and arrows to put up around the course. The DH also bought some chalk at a hardware store and chalked the start/finish line and arrows around the course. It was a legit 5k this year baby!



Runners arriving in the parking lot for coffee and muffins. This year, we moved the start line from my house to a beautiful park up the road (Bartholomew Park). My co-host lives on the park property, so we were able to open the gates to make that happen. We had sign ups at 7:30 am (suggested donation of $20 for Meals on Wheels) with coffee, muffins and hot chocolate. 

The race was a fun family trot that welcomed kids on bikes, strollers, etc. And did I mention yet how C.O.L.D the early morning was? Holy Moly! I know all you mid west/east coast people are just chucklin' at me...but it was really cold.


 Here's the START line (do ya see the chalk line baby?!) Me and the DH are explaining the course, thanking the peeps for coming, etc, etc. Yes, it really is this pretty out here in wine country during Thanksgiving!

And now my favorite shot that captures the mood and tude' of our Trot:

 RACE START BABY! 
I love this shot for so many reasons. It shows the depth of # of runners , the beauty of the course, and the spectrum of runners. I'm on the wall keepin' it legit with saying 'GO'!

 Runners, bikers, and walkers alike!
I don't have any pics of the run course itself. I know, I know! Bad run/racer bloggy fauxpaux! But here's an amazing shot of me crossing our sweet lil' chalk line finish;-)

Okay, but really...here's the true sweet part. The first year of our evolving lil' trot, it consisted of ~5-10 family members and friends. The following year we decided to actually tell some peeps and raise money for Meals on Wheels. We ended up with twenty plus people and made ~$150.

Last year in 2009, we had forty plus people and made ~$275 for Meals on Wheels! I blogged about it here.

And this year for 2010?

We had one hundred plus run/bike/walkers 
and raised...
 $1475 for Meals on Wheels!

Hot diggity dawg
 It was the best feeling to see friends, family, and community members rally to run, raise $ for a great cause, and start the Turkey weekend off right! We had fellow bloggy peep Marjorie come ~50 min away to be a part of the trot (yeah!) as well! AND what I love too, is this trot IS now a part of our family Thanksgiving tradition. My kids biked it this year for the first time, and will run it themselves soon enough with their own friends ;-)

And that's my race report. Now all YOU running peeps, I can SOOO see you starting/creating your own style family/friend turkey trot! OR....if you're anywhere near the Bay Area, California next Thanksgiving, ya know where you'll find a true lil' gem of a trot ;-0

Comments

Great job!! Just found your blog and I love it. Your kids are adorable:)
Aimee said…
You are so amazing! I loved this post! Awesome job with the race and raising so much money for a great cause! Yay, yay, yay!! :)
AM! said…
Aimee!
You could SO do a trot like this!;-) def see you doin' one.
Quinton J said…
So awesome! It's grown so much in such a little time. That's gotta feel good.
Emz said…
OH MAN --- love the bike photo. Too adorable. But your face in that last picture is pretty priceles too. ;)
WOw!! Great job and what a nice help to the Meals on Wheels program!!!!!!!

Love your pic crossing the finish line--you make it seem almost warm! ha!
Christi said…
Congratulations on a great race!
misszippy said…
A.M.--that is so awesome! You rock. Love how it is a family affair too.
Anne-Marie said…
Love the pics and your turnout/donation is incredible!

Looks like you had a beautiful day for it too!
Unknown said…
what a great support crew. Looks like a successful trot for a good cause! Now thats a reason to run!
LC
Clair said…
That is awesome. Count me in for next year - wine country in the fall is just beautiful.
Julie said…
Way to go Anne Marie!! How fun to spend time with the family doing something special like this:) Holy cow, your four year olds can ride bike!?! What and the hell am I thinking...of course they can:) They are super cute!

Is it cold there now? I was just noticing your running clothes.

Have a great week!
*~*~* Tracy said…
That is so cool! Great job on organizing the race and raising so much money for such a great cause!!
Pahla said…
This post filled me with warm fuzzies - awesome, awesome, AWESOME!! Love the pics of your kids helping organize the race and riding the course. You are definitely raising them right! :-)
XLMIC said…
WOW!!!! That fun Turkey Trot raised a lot o' dough! It really was gorgeous up there (and cold!) and I am so glad I made the trek! I hope to come again next year! And thinking I'll bring the family...

So cool, AM! Way to host a rockin' race!
Leah F said…
Congratulations on a putting together a fun, successful event!! Looks like great time was had by all.
Unknown said…
That's so cool! Good job on organising such a great event!
Regina said…
That is fantastic!! Things like this make me wish I lived in a smaller community. The red tape to get anything like this going in NYC is endless!! Great race for a great cause, congrats!
love the turkey trot report. I don't think I realized that you and Michael were the sponsors! love that. xoxo

Popular Posts