Tah-Dah! My Brooks Glycerin 8 Shoe and Short Review!

Ain't she a beaute. This here's the Brooks Glycerin 8 running shoe I received in the mail last week and couldn't wait to test drive. I waited til' after my sprint triathlon...to give me a lil' running incentive for the week. And I've taken them out for a spin twice, and overall am impressed with this shoe.

Here's what they say about the shoe (which was a Runner's World Editor's Choice in Spring 2010):

'Cushioning gets cushier in the new Glycerin® 8. Brooks DNA makes its debut and raises the neutral bar by delivering a customized ride for runners of all sizes and speeds. Working with BioMogo, Brooks DNA responds to your every step, dispersing impact and providing ideal comfort and protection as the pace changes. If asked for the secret to your improved endurance, just tell ‘em it’s genetic. Weight: 10.3 oz.'

Okay, from their description I'll be honest, I was a bit hesitant if this shoe would be 'the one' for me, as I'm more of a minimal style shoe gal. Yes, with my PF diagnosis and aftermath, I've been using more cushy style shoes for my longer runs, but these past 2 months have had me LOVING my more minimal running shoes. So the Cushioning gets cushier had me a lil' worried they'd be too marshmallow feeling for me.

Well, I slipped em' on, and it wasn't the case at all! I was very pleased. I was impressed with how the sole felt and it's ability to disperse impact in a supportive manner w/out feeling cushy. yes. score

I took them out for a ~6 mile threshold run Tues, and a ~10 miler run this morning, and loved the DNA Brooks sole feature. I'm sold.

However, while the new Brooks DNA feature of the shoe was spot on, I had a problem with the tongue of the shoe, particularly my left foot. The tongue kept sliding off to the side- here's a pic of what I'm talking about:
Can ya see how it's sliding of to the side? It did the same on both sides, but bothered me on my left (huh?). So today half way through my run, I relaced the shoelace through the most outter hole up top, and it made a big difference. I think I'm on to something. And I think this situation will be solved with a few more runs and adjusting the lace. 

And now...for the HVAC Synergy Short! I was so excited to get my hands on these! I gave them a whirl this week. Heres what they say about them:

 Function: Our most technical short is ready for extreme runs in the Mohave desert—or Manhattan. Ventilating mesh and soft inner lining with X-STATIC®, The Silver Fiber™, regulate temperature, wick moisture, and fight odor. Sherpa pockets tote gels.
Fabric:
Main Body: 100% lightweight textured polyester with a wicking finish; Splices/Yoke/Pocket: 100% moisture-transfer polyester; Liner: 81% polyester 16% spandex 3% X-STATIC®
Fit:
Semi-fitted

Features and Benefits:

Now...here's what I loved about them.

1. Yes, they are very Lightweight! and loved the textured moisture-transfer split shell. I felt speedy in them.

 2. Love, love, loved the waistband! Supportive yet flattering all in one. Here's moi above;-)

3. Liked the dual back pockets with lil tabs to easily find/open with out having to turn your back and look for the pocket opening.

And my 2 concerns with them:

1. They were a lil' pouchy in the front. Tried to show it in the picture, but it's not translating. It just felt like there was a lil' too much material in the front.

2. The bottom white band that surrounds the short felt a lil' restrictive. You can see the white band in pic above. I kept wondering why they used that binding as it seemed to slightly restrict an otherwise extremely light and fabulous short. And then...I read it's 360 degrees of 3M™ Scotchlite™ retroreflectivity! A-ha! Now I understood, and it made sense. So yes, these would be a great early morning or evening lightweight run shorts!




Those are my two cents on the shoes and shorts. This was my first 'official' review of a shoe and short, so it was fun to micro-analyze their performance and features. I enjoyed the ride and look forward to many future runs in these both. Thank you BROOKS for letting me test drive and review your goods!

Now my questions to you: Have you had shoe tongue slipping issues before and how did you solve it? And do you think I can manage to do any more self pre/post run iphone shots for this blog??;-)





  •  


  • Comments

    Anne-Marie said…
    Great pictures! I need new running shorts, and I like the reflective line on those ones... maybe I'll have to get a pair.

    I don't ever recall having a tongue-slipping issue with running shoes... at least not one that bothered me enough to notice, anyway!
    Maggs said…
    I've had the toungue slipping thing in other shoes. I'm not sure what I did about it? Just let it?

    I know what you are talking about with those shorts being to pouchy in front. I agree 100%. But I like the pockets in the back.
    Aimee said…
    Great reviews! I have my favorite Brooks shoes, the Racer ST4, but those shoes sound great! I'm glad they work for you!
    Clair said…
    That happens to me on my sneakers too. Usually keeping the center laces snug helps. Glad those shoes were comfortable. I LOVE my Brooks.
    Unknown said…
    Thanks, nice review. I do love the color of the shorts too!
    Alison said…
    Loved the review. Those shorts are super flattering, hot mama! I am on the lookout for new trainers, so I'm going to check out Brooks when I go. Keep the goofy pictures coming! :-)
    XTB-XAVI said…
    Nice shoes...short colour may be too light blue? just kidding!

    Enjoy!

    Cheers from Hong KOng!

    "XTB" Xavi.
    Unknown said…
    I've never had that shoe problem before but I'm pretty sure it would bug me too! Those shorts look really nice too!
    I love your review!! :D I had a pair of nikes that the tongue would always slide way over to the side like that and it was really annoying... i didn't really think about relacing the shoes lol... doh!
    KovasP said…
    Keep the photos coming! I've never had tongue slippage before except when the laces are too loose, but I also lace my shoes a bit differently, because I like a very snug heel.
    ShutUpandRun said…
    Tongue slipping issues? Yes I've had those. Oh wait. Shoes. Sorry. No haven't had that kind.

    Love those shorts. The color, the waistband, how lightweight they are. And they look great on you.
    Emz said…
    Loving the shorts and the photo.

    You are too dang hot. Ignore Kovas.
    Jill said…
    I've never had tongue slippage issues but I tie my shoes pretty tight (once too tight and got a stress fracture on the top of my foot. Nothing a little foam padding wouldn't cure). I have tried on the Glycerin's and think they would be heaven, hope they work for your moody feet!!
    Quinton J said…
    EMZ is right....but why ignore Kovas? Usually when I lace through the little lace thingy on the tongue I don't have a problem.
    I really liked your reviews. Though I don't recall having a tongue slip, I will share a tip that's helped with my bunion. I have a bunion on my left foot that get's irrated, so the lady who helped me at the local Fleet Feet had me skip the bottom eyelets on the laceup - what a difference!
    The tongues do that on my shoes too. It is strange, but it never seems to effect anything. At least not yet!!

    Popular Posts