Run Like a Mother: The Book and My New 5k Group!

Last Friday I had the opportunity to meet co-authors Dimity and Sarah of  Run Like a Mother. I've seen the book all over Bloggyland, so figured I'd shoot down to the Athleta retail store (I work for em' a bit as a fit model), and support both the new store and authors all in one shot. I was looking forward to meeting the two mommy authors, support their momentum, and gain insight on how they went about writing their book.

And my trip did not disappoint. I ended up having ~40 minutes solo with co-author Dimity (tall gal in green) and chatted injuries, training, marathons, running, writing, etc, etc. I had the chance to ask about her career outside of Run Like a Mother, and learn how she and Sarah developed the idea for the book. And ... I just really liked talking with Dimity. She felt like one of those insta-friends. Like she probably gets along really well with everyone. She's that type of gal. 

And the book isn't a 'How To Run' book, but rather a collection of 'Ohhh..I soo get THAT feeling/situation/story!'  The event included a reading, which was nice to hear the 'voice' behind the story, and frankly really funny. Both Sarah and Dimitry are sport/fitness writers for Runner's World, Shape, etc, and this book is their baby, written all with mommy humor. And they get it. I just kept noddin' my head with each lil' vignette.

I left the event feeling inspired, motivated, and connected to the mommy running community at large. A feeling that I frankly wasn't expecting. I usually only tap into that bond in the running/triathlon bloggyland. But at the event, we were all fellow mommy runners doin' our thing.

And speakin' of doin their thing, I figured I'd give an update w/my Mom goal of creating a 5wk to 5k Run Program for preschool moms: 2 wks ago, I put out an email w/attached flyer on the info for a training program w/a weekly group run. I ended up getting 6-7 moms interested. So...our first group run is this week! Woo-hoo! I'm excited to embark on my first group run as a trainer. I've done a lot of one on one training, and this will be my first group.

Okie dokie artichokie. That's what I got over here. So question to you: Have you heard of/read the book? Or are you participating/running any group training programs? And ...do you think I should wear my hair in two low pony tails like above pic, for my half in 2 weeks;-)

Comments

ShutUpandRun said…
Haven't yet read the book...feel like I have with all that I've seen about it...

Love the ponytails. Big fan of that or braids. You will look so cute!!

I'm out of any training program for awhile :(, but I am going to start a Girls on the Run program for elementary school girls in the spring.
Christi said…
Love the two ponytails so go for it!
Unknown said…
Congrats on the new running group-I would LOVE to join y'all-seriously!!
I usually run alone and I just started running with a couple other mom's on Fridays (with the joggers) and doing weekend runs with a triathlete friend ~ I LOVE IT. SO much better than alone :)

I have not heard of the book so thanks~will check it out.

Dual ponyies rock!! go 4 it!
Unknown said…
Pig tails rock!
I love the book :) Their blog too!
Rae said…
I haven't read the book...yet. That's cool you met the authors!

How fun you are training preschool Moms! Love it!

I say go with the pigtails!
Michel said…
Love the book and recommend it to all my mom friends who run.
XTB-XAVI said…
What about "Stressed daddy's work-alcoholic running group?"...lol

I have started my own Barcelona Dragons Triathlon Team...with 3 members of beginners/medium level...

Cheers from Hong Kong!

"XTB" Xavi.
Anne-Marie said…
Haha, I've never heard 'okie dokie artichokie' before but might have to steal that one :)

I haven't heard of the book before, but even though I don't have kids I'm thinking I should check it out. Any help in juggling work/training/life might be beneficial to me!

Love the pigtails too, I'd say go for it!
Anonymous said…
I love your idea of the running group at a school... I think I might look into doing something like that for my kids' school. Great ideas!
Jill said…
In in various parts of the book, so look for me (page 71, in particular :) ). Dimity lives closeby and Sarah helped pace me in Portland last year. Glad you got to meet 'em. :)
Teamarcia said…
ok so not only do you have Dim on one side and SBS on other you have ATHLETA RETAIL STORES at your whim???
I'm not too jealous over here!
I love them (and Athleta) and their book. And my copy is autographed by them and the notorious Jill who commented above. Now if I could get a freaking Athleta store within a 10-mile radius I'd be golden.
Woot for the pigtails!
Teamarcia said…
Oh shoot all that blathering and I did't even answer your question.
I'm training a Girl Scout troop to run their first 5k and there's a charity aspect as well--so excited!
Lisa said…
I have the book - went to see them at a local signing. Loved the book, kinda one of those that you go back to when you are struggling with something. I saw Dmity and Sara again this past weekend at NWM. Fun times!
I just came across your blog and really love finding other moms into fitness to connect with. :) I haven't heard of that book before but it definitely sounds interesting. Anything with moms who can tell it like it is and motivate sounds good to me.

Tina
www.faithfitnessfun.com
Tricia said…
GREAT pic! love that book
I say test out a new style each run. If you want, take a pre-run pic and a post-run pic... Post your fave pics/styles and let your readers PICK! :-) .. Nah, you pick. :-)

Might be fun to see what you can come up/down with and what truly works/doesn't.
Aimee said…
I also have the book and LOVED it!

I love the pig tails and think you should definitely wear your hair like that for the half.

I am not in a training group, but I love your idea! I may try to do that at my son's preschool too! :)
Unknown said…
Haven't read the book yet, but love Dimity and Sarah... followed Dimity's blog before RLAM and am now on their FB page. All good stuff! (book reading to come)

Piggies are great.. but my hair is shorter than yours... your piggies wouldn't keep your hair off your neck.. might be annoying??? Have you run w/ it like that before? Remember.. nothing new on race day. ha :)
Quinton J said…
I wish I had a group to run with this winter...but no...just solo runnin' for me. And yes please...two low pony tails for the race.

Popular Posts