5wk to 5k Training Outline!


A few asked how the 5wk to 5k Training Group was going so figured I'd share the process since a lot of you are fellow running coaches/trainers. Then I also thought maybe some of you might actually want to do these runs yourself and be a 'virtual' participant of this Mommy 5wk to 5k Group! (non mama's can do it too!). You can start with week 1, and your last week will be (USA's) Thanksgiving week.

So yes, I know, not the most enticing or motivating 'flyer', but I emailed it out to my kids' preschool a few weeks ago to see if there was any interest in me putting together a 5wk to a 5k Training Program. I had ~6-7 takers, and our first group run happened last Friday. And it was great! It's my first time coaching a group vs. individual training, and I'm loving the benefits of a group. Most of the runners can run 3 miles between ~28-31 minutes.

Our Week 1 Runs:
Run 1:
Walk/run warm up for 10 min:
Run 5 min/walk 1 min. Repeat 3 times (18 min total). Run at a RPE (rate of perceived effort) of 4 (on a scale from 1-5 with 5 being exhausting, 1 is ez breezy)
Walk/cool down for 10 min

For 38 min total (20 of it warm up/cool down, 18 of it run/walk). Focus on your shoulders, they should be relaxed and loose.

Run 2:
Warm up walk 10 min
3x (run 6 min/walk 1 min) = 21 min total. RPE of run is 4 again.
Cool down walk 5-10 min

Key GROUP run we did:
Walk warm up 10 min
Run 1 mile
Walk 5 min
Run 1 mile
Cood down 10 min

Focused on form, cadence, elbows.
For this run, focus on relaxed shoulders and arms bent with relaxed hands while running.

And I'm also texting the moms' during the week for updates, sending emails with helpful shoe, 5k race info, other tips, etc. and just being available to them via text/email. 
But this is what I've developed so far. 

Now my questions to you: 1. Have you trained a group run program, if so what worked best/least? 2. Have you participated in a group training program, if so what did you like the most/least? And Lastly, Any takers for doing these runs each week to gear up for a 5k? If so, lemme know, and i'll keep posting the runs each week. Thanks all!

Comments

KovasP said…
I've never run with a group, I'll be interested in following your coaching progress.
Emz said…
Sorry, I'm with Kovas. Unless my dog counts. ;)
trailmomma said…
I've been on both spectrums. I've coached women to their first sprint distance triathlon and also newbies to their first half marathon. Both were huge tasks and hard to do on my own. The distances alone were just difficult to schedule while also working a full time job. With that said, seeing their faces upon crossing that finish line was probably one of the best days of my life.

I've also been part of a training group that got me to my first 50K and 50 Mile trail run. Absolutely loved it but training with a group like that for those distances, well, . . . you really get to know a person and their quirks when you're spending 5 hours on a run with them.

Being honest was bonus for me. The coaches were honest about the terrain and course. They helped us actually run portions of the course.

Freebies . . . freebies ALWAYS bring more people back who tell their friends and get them to join. Get some sponsors to donate stuff . . .whatever it is, people love freebies.
justme said…
i have been training with a group and love it. i love that i am pushed beyond what i think i can do. i like when the coach gives me ANY personal tips and advice. she does not email/txt us and i wish she did. i wish she asked bout what else we have done during the week. i think it is helpful when she actually does have us push eachother a long and she sets a goal time to push for.
i also had the chance to help coach a group. i tried my hardest do talk with each lady and get a feel of what there backgrounds/goals where. i tried to make it personal. there were a few that i felt could move up to the advance but they didn't want to slow the advance group down. i tried to explain that you need to push yourself to the next level. i think having a garmin and being precise about paces and mileage is a plus.
AM! said…
trail momma and trifit mom, thanks so much for your story and input. really helps! thx! keep em' coming!
Unknown said…
I run with a local RUn club that push me when I need it the most. I like the comraderie. When I was starting out I did my own walk to run program similar to what you have written until I could advance myself to running my first 5k, I actually didn't run a 5k, I actually ran a 5 miler!! :)Since then I haven't stopped@
*~*~* Tracy said…
I don't run with a group but would LOVE to. I'm too slow for our local running club and too fast for my personal friends.

I would enjoy reading about the progress your group is making!

Hats off to you for making it happen!
Aimee said…
I won't be of much help b/c I've never done either. But, thank you for writing this post b/c I am interested in doing the same thing at my son's preschool!
Jason said…
I ran with TNT for my first 1/2 Mary and loved every minute of it b/c the coaches/trainers were great and listened.

In addition to that the social aspect was great in terms of meeting people I still talk to this day even though I live in Dallas and they are in New York.
Other than the friends I meet up with at the gym, I haven't really run in a group, but it might be a good thing for me.

This plan sounds pretty straight forward. I think I want to try it. But it would definitely be easier with company.
XTB-XAVI said…
1. Never...but I will start with my new Barcelona Dragons Triathlon Team...next 2011!
2. Different running types and techniques and also drills, but, combining, long, easy, tempo and speed ones!!

Cheers from Hong Kong!

"XTB" Xavi.
oakley said…
Great outline..

Good luck on the race..

Popular Posts