Personal GrowTH-ursday: I Have a Question...

Warning: This is a longer post than anticipated! But last week I received these questions below from a bloggy reader, so wanted to share a bit of my goal making/processing. I frankly love talkin' this stuff (uh...why I started this here blog), and if someone's gonna ask, I'll indulge;-)

Questions from Reader Heather Bleasdell:

1. I have a question, how has writing down your goals for the week (consistently over the last year and a half) affected your life?

I've actually been writing goals like these now for almost ~10 years, but only consistently in the past ~4 yrs, and super consistently when I started this blog in Jan 2009. I came up with the idea from my career as a teacher and counselor. I'd write specific standards/goals for my students for the different academic/behavioral areas. So I applied this thinking to my own areas in life. And my roles and goals have changed through the past ten years;-)  

2. How do you make the distinction between your goals and your list of "things to do"? 

This is a goood question. Because very often my goals can look like my 'To Do' list. But all of my goals stem from my think big, dream big, life ideas and passions I wish to live into as a person. Every Dec/Jan- I (attempt to) write/revise my life goals in a Target $1.99 notebook (pic above) by brainstorm what I want my life to look like 10yrs from now, then 5yrs, 1yr, and 6 months from now. Here's my note pages for the year:

This blue print then gives me direction to attempt to live them NOW by breaking them down into specific steps and actions I can measure. I've found writing weekly goals let's me feel I'm on the path to my big dream stuff.

A basic example: a Home goal: Clean my car/vacuum. This can definitely look more like my 'To Do' List, than a goal. But I actually have an 5yr goal of driving the car of my dreams and loving my car, so one baby step is taking care of my current car, and treating it as it's the car of my dreams.
 
3. At the end of the week, if you have not fulfilled a goal, how do you manage the feelings that come up? 
 I purposefully make my weekly goals SMART. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time Related. Again, this is another strategy I used with my students. So instead of writing general, lofty, and/or unrealistic goals such as: 
Health Goal: Eat more fruit and grains this month

I'd write: Health: Will eat 4 fruits/day and grains 3 x's this week (or something like that)  Yet, some of my goals are not written the SMART way and that's (mostly) intentional. And I rarely hit all my goals 100%. Inevitably, I hit ~80-95%, and that works for me. It's a work in progress, and doing it consistently at 80% keeps me more on the path than doing nothing.

4. And finally, in your experience, what role do goals play in formulating and achieving one's dream?
Uh...I could write a book with this one! But I won't do that to y'all right now. Short answer: It's the main role. But please don't think I'm sayin' it's  'She lived happily ever after...' over here. Oh no, no, no! But I've been strengthening my 'goal creating' muscle now for a while, and I'm a Believer! 

Now my question to you: Have I converted y'all yet??- Ha;-) If so, start by thinking what you want your life to look like 10 yrs from now. Brainstorm for ~10 min, then think what do you need to do 5 yrs from now to be there? Then 1 yr, then 6 mo from now? See what you come up with. 

Or share with us: In your life, what role do goals play for your big life dreams? Thanks for sharing and sticking through this post! ;-)

Comments

VegetariRun said…
It's funny you're posting about this now... I'm usually one to think in the short term (6 months, 1 year maybe) rather than the long-term. I mean, I have long-term things I'm doing, like finishing grad school... but I don't tend to focus on that as a goal. But now that I just had a birthday and am almost 30, I've been thinking more about things I want to do "by the time I'm 40"... among them, some traveling, and possibly an Ironman.

It's strange that I've never really thought long-term in a tangible way until like two weeks ago. And I don't think I've really dared to dream BIG until now--marathon training is making me feel like I can really do whatever I want to, however seemingly impossible, if I just take the necessary steps--and not just with fitness goals. And that Ironman is on my 10 year radar now, for reals! I think having some longer-term goals is going to make me a lot more excited about my life, which is a pretty awesome feeling. :o)
Tricia said…
I enjoyed this!

I find that if I have a specific goal, with attainable steps then I am able to focus and go for it. If I pick a big picture goal without working out how I plan to achieve taht goal I falter.
Unknown said…
Totally converted! Plus I love writing lists :-)
Alison said…
Hey, first-time commenter here. As a prolific list maker though this really hit home with me. I love the idea of distinguishing between lists and goals. Lists always weigh heavy on your shoulders, they're something you have to "keep up" with. But goals - goals are positive! :D

I don't think I'll ever ditch the lists (email x; finish writing y; read z...), but I will try and supplement them with a specific list of goals that I can work towards and feel good about.

I enjoyed the longer post too - thanks for sharing :)

Alison
Thanks AM! I love that you are bringing in the "big picture" with baby-steps. That is very smart, practical and disciplined of you.

VegetariRun mentioned that at 30 she is starting to look at the future. I felt the same at 30, wondering about the future and how it is all going to work out. Now at 39, I see how much of "it" has worked out and feel very connected to enjoying my daily life and not letting things linger. Running is a big part of that - keeping energy moving & my body strong. Yesterday I bought new shoes, inserts and 2 new sport bras. It felt like a hefty purchase, but a good one in affirming my commitment to the thing that makes me feel the best about myself right now... and keeps my physical body singing.

As the planet Mercury is retrograding, I am going to use this time to review what I want to manifest in the next 10 years - age 40 and beyond. Thanks for the inspiration AM!
Velma said…
This is a great post. I do the week, year, and five year goals. It is so much easier if you have a goal and work backwards. I work on this with my students on day 1 when they enter the PhD program.

Keep it going lady :)
Anne said…
Great post AM! I definitely set goals at different levels and have a big picture of how I want to live my life. Although I don't do it on paper and with such precision...I know that every decision I make has a purpose.
Thanks for this :)
I've been doing goals all my life, would be lost without them. i have 2 weekly columns, professional and personal:)
Jill said…
I had good goals for the week of cleaning my house for 30 minutes each day, after reading your last blot. Not so much. But at least it was a though that counts???
Anne-Marie said…
Really great posts! Thanks for the insight, it's very inspirational :)

I'm a compulsive list-maker, partially just because I love crossing off things I've done and feeling productive...

I'm not so good at setting long-term goals though. Where do I see myself in 10 years? That question came up at a job interview last year and I had a hard time answering it because I really have no idea! In 10 years, I hope to be financially comfortable and doing whatever makes me happy, whatever that may be. Sometimes I feel like I should be thinking,
"In the next 10 years, I want to get married and have kids", but instead, I'm thinking, "In the next 10 years, I want to qualify for and race Kona." My priorities may shift at some point, but I guess that shows how tri-obsessed I am at the moment!
Aimee said…
Good post! I have goals I keep in my head, but I don't really write about them that often. Maybe I should. I tend to look at long term goals more than short term goals, except with racing and training.
Beth said…
Great post, I read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin this year and she has a very similar approach as yours. I haven’t been able to keep up with daily/weekly/monthly or even yearly goals, BUT it is something I would like to do!
Teamarcia said…
Love your planning process AM! I too am a great list maker but nowhere near as organized as you.
What I find is that I am VERY happy at the stage I'm at right now.
I really don't long for anything. So what do I want over the next ten years? Of course I should continue to grow and press out of my comfort zone...guess I'm at a happiness plateau.
Christina said…
Great post. I need to start thinking about the big picture and breaking it down into doable parts.

My weekly goals writing is going Ok so far. I missed some, but I do get some done. :)
Been doing this for much of my life. Used to place goals under my pillow. I found that it helped me to achieve them. Not sure why. Same technique worked with key study points before a test (best when done 3 days before an exam).

On my computer at work I have 3 stars (stars- our theme this year). The center one is my main goal. The other 2 have quotations that support it/where I want to go.

I've found that the more colors I use, the better. Black/white is good for some- not all things.

Also, small pics (even my unique doodles :-) work!

BTW- Solid, rock-solid post! :-)
Christina said…
And yes, we are already in the 2nd full week of school. I have been screening all the pre-K kiddos and have been working on referral conferences notices and all that fun stuff.
MJ said…
wow, I love your answers. You've inspired me to write goals before, but I love the idea of brainstorming where I want my life to be, then breaking it down in to smaller steps. Thanks for posting this.
Ewa said…
This is such a great post.
Maybe breaking my BIG goals into smaller steps would help me with my impatience that often stands in the way of getting the big prize.

Target has such nice notebooks?
Maggs said…
Great post. I love goals. I was always taught to set high but achievable goals. Maybe you don't achieve them the first time you try, and if you always meet all your goals the first time, maybe they aren't high enough.
Sherri said…
I love how you write your goals down. My husband and I are great at setting 5 and 10 year goals ...of where we want "us" to be! Then we break it down...and it helps us get them accomplished. I need to do the same think on a personal level. As I have watched you every week make and write goals...I think I need to jump on her band wagon. It's one of the most fantastic ideas on the blogsphere...thanks for the inspiration!
RunToTheFinish said…
great great post!! I like to do the sacred 6, which are the 6 most important things that I need to accomplish today. it helps me both to focus at work, on the blog, in my workouts, etc. I know what is most important and those things must take priority

i like the idea of weekly goals, but i'm going to try the daily 6 for a few months so I don't too many going!! The daily 6 match up to my overall goals for sure
Lisa said…
this is a great post, thanks for sharing! I think my goals change all the time. Before, in my first career, I had a specific goal in mind for where I'd end up, but all that changed this year when I changed careers. As I grow, my goals change. My ultimate goal is to grow old, be healthy and strong and happy with who I've become. I hope I'm on that path!
Christi said…
Wow, I just found your blog and you hooked me with this post!

I have always been a goal oreinted person and I can totally relate to setting SMART goals. I am working on getting better at it myself!

I can't wait to read more of your posts!

Popular Posts