GFTW 39: I Finally Have My 5k Time!

I think the above pic tells it all. I ran the local 5k this morning, and aside from being excited to race a half mile from my house (and maybe win some cool loot), I really, really wanted to know what the heck my CURRENT 5k time was. Since my heel injury back in May, I've been coddling my runs to get through Vineman back in mid July. Then I basically took ~2 weeks off, and in mid August hopped on board the RunLessRunFaster training program for an upcoming Oct 30th half marathon. The problem was, the training is based on your current 5k time. Well, I KNEW I wasn't as fast as I was back in March at my last 'healthy' 5k. So I just sorta 'guestimated' my time. But the problem was during each run, I second guessed myself half the time b/c I didn't know my true 5k time.

Well...today's race gave me a TRUE number! Woo-hoo! Now I know what to plug in for my training, and the double bonus is...I'm really happy with it, and am optimistic I can hit my race time goal for my upcoming Healdsburg Half. But I'll divulge more of all my training/racing numbo jumbo in later posts...for now...I got the number and it's driving my training for the next five weeks.  Yes!

And speaking of training, here are my Goals for the Week:

Athlete: Get 3or more swims of a 20-30min this week (for my sprint tri in 2 wks), AND get my 3 training runs done...NO EXCUSES now;-)

Health: Still working with Nutrition Gal up to my Half Marathon, and I'm now super motivated to stick to her intakes. My half is in 5 wks, and my sprint tri is in 2...I wanna feel svelte;-)

Finance: Research health insurance family plans (was on my list 2 wks ago, didn't get to it...and I NEED to)


Wife: Light the candle in our room each evening. It just feels nice


Personal Growth: Do at least one act of kindness to someone each day. just cuz. I'm in the mood. Be it a stranger, family member, or friend. Give a compliment, pay for their coffee, tell them why you love them.


As always, I write these goals down on a bookmark I keep in my organizer and attempt to review them each morning as I chug my coffee and plan my day;-). 

That's it for me over here. Now...I'd love, love, LOVE to hear what you've got lined up for next week! Talk to me, talk to me. And if you have a good idea on an act of kindness to share...that'd be great;-)


Oh! AND...tonite at midnight PST ends the Super Brooks Running Shoe/Short Giveaway....

Comments

sarah said…
Nice race! Even if you're looking down at the finish line :P

Lucky you for running the Healdsburg Half! It's such a fantastic course. I wish I were running it again this year.
Teamarcia said…
Excellent race! Love the action shot!
This week I will make my return to the pool and hope for the best.
misszippy said…
Smokin'! You go! And you look great in those shorts that you love too.

I want to do that 1/2 sometime; it sounds beautiful.

I've finished up a great week of training and want to keep the mojo going. And you've inspired me to try the acts of kindness each day--thank you!
Ewa said…
Great race and the shot is right on.

Candles are so romantic. Aren't they?
Jill said…
That's an excellent time, girl!! Way to go!!! Totally love that picture. Hope your week is a great success!
Unknown said…
totally inspired by you lady!
My biggest goal for this week is to get my eating back to clean again. With the out of town trips lately, sugar has crept in far too often. I crave home cooked meals and whole foods!
Pahla said…
WOW, you are smokin' fast!! Great job!
Silvergirl said…
Awesome job today!!! Congrats!!! You are going to do great in your 1/2 marathon!
Raquelita said…
Fantastic job at that race today! You are speedy! I love your goals, especially the act of kindness one.

In fact, I think I'll have to add that one to my other goals for the week: get in my mid-week runs and make progress on two of my writing projects.
Rad Runner said…
OMG amazzzzzing JOB!!!!!!
Maggs said…
Yay. Nice 5K time. I love the 'one act of kindness' goal. Someone paid my a compliment when I was running and it made a huge difference to my day :-) You're gonna rock the 1/2 marathon! Glad your foot is better.
trailmomma said…
Way to go. That is one nice finish photo too . . . mine never look like that.

It is good to have a base.

I like your goals and the whole idea . . . divided up into the different roles we play as mom, athlete, wife etc. It is inspiring and I think I may just copy you!
Alison said…
Nice time!

I love your random acts of kindness goal. I try as much as I can to stop and help people -- especially strangers. I think it's a really humanizing thing to do, if that makes sense. Living in a huge city like London where people are so used to being anonymous and left to struggle, it can really make someone's day. Which in turn makes mine :-) I just don't remember to do it enough...
RAKs I've enjoyed very recently-

*Letting the man with only 2 items go in front of me in the grocery store. (Really, by the time I unloaded my 12 items, he was done paying. His face and words said it all! :-)


*Asking my students to pick what they wanted to learn on Friday (project or break). .... This is really, "Listening to them..." But in school it seems sometimes that their needs are put aside for more studying, review, testing, etc.

*Sending an e-mail on updates after a crazy situation. (How many times are people left hanging, wondering what the result was?)

*Making meeting with my students one-on-one a priority to discuss things beyond our classroom. (Again, I see this as a part of my job... but I was told *tears* "I've never had a teacher tell me that she/he cares about me as an individual." on Friday.... )

*Cookie and movement break- 3rd period got to enjoy cookies and "Would you rather..." on Thurs. instead of a different structured activity. :-) (Their faces, their smiles, their words... :-)

*Waiting next to a co-worker as he got out of his car and listening to him. His step-son died almost 2 weeks ago, and I've made it a priority to see him about every 3rd day to listen.

*Complaining to the above teacher, "Mrs. F gave me homework..." (another teacher)... to which he responded, "Good! You deserve it!" and broke into a smile.

(Again- this was just done to bring the man a smile.... I could care less about what my co-worker *rightfully* assigned me. That R was smiling and engaging in banter at lunch was my goal......... I only did this b/c I have worked with him long enough to know when he needs to be messed with... which he does with me regularly... when he's not in mourning...)

Hope these help. Not sure they're RAKs, so much as how I see life needs to be.... isn't each moment a moment of kindness? To ourselves or to another... or maybe that's just how I see and strive it to be. :-)

Congrats on the 5k time and good luck with all goals! :-)
Unknown said…
super fast mamma!! I love it. I need to take advice on the wife part. Seems so relaxing. Thanks! oh and Healdburg half sounds like a great race. Love it there!
Jennifer said…
Holy cow that's super fast! Great job.
Julie said…
Holy cow Anne Marie! You are so freaking fast! I am just hoping to get my time under 23 minutes:) I guess I need some speed training or I have to start doing Tri's...ha ha! You know I hate swimming:) Nice job, I am proud of you! Great picture too!
Unknown said…
GREAT 5k time. woo hoo!!
Just gotta say I really like how you break your goals down into catagories.
Christi said…
What an absolutely great race time! I would kill for a time like that!

Good luck with your goals this week!
Samantha G said…
That's an incredible time! I would kill for a time like that!! :) Well, ok, not literally. (And I just realized the girl above me said the exact same thing, hehe.) Maybe I should pick up that book you're recommending, I'd love to cut down my 5k time.

I am still trying to get under 28 minutes :)
That is a great 5K time. FIRST works, doesn't it?
Rae said…
Great race! Did you take first again?
Aimee said…
Woohoo! Congrats on your 5k race! That is an AWESOME time! Yay!
Once again, I love your goals!
I love that pic of you running across the finish line looking at your watch. Too much fun. This week I am inspired by something Caroline Casey said in her equinox newsletter, “Let’s define ‘magic’ as simply a willingness to co-operate with Everything.” I"m going to co-operate with what wants to happen. For me, that feels like resting more in each moment, completing all 4 runs this week, not eating sugar, cleaning up my house and finish my redecorating project in my living room. I want to tie up loose ends as the moon grows dark, so I am ready to go when the moon is new again.
Unknown said…
Amazing, well done!
Christina said…
WOW! Awesome time! That picture is priceless.

One act of kindness. I'm going to say something nice to all the kids I see during therapy, even the really difficult ones, even the ones I am really scared of. So far, Monday went well! :)
Megan said…
20min 5k time! 17yr old boys would be happy with that time!
Congrats, the next we will hear will be sub 20 and that is freaking impressive!!!!
Anonymous said…
AM-

Thanks for all the words of encouragement after the race! I was so proud of myself I ran my first 5k without stopping!

Hugs,

Lizzie B
Wendy said…
Great picture, and excellent job!
Way to go!!! That is such a good time. ANY time you get an AG or OA award it is a GREAT race.

I'm like you. I really need to run a half marathon all out to see where my time is at that distance to put in all of the calculators.
Sherry said…
Woo-hoo! Awesome stuff! Speedy legs! You are going to have a great half!

Popular Posts