Speed Work is a DOOZY!

I think we all know this, but I haven't FELT this for some months now. Ever since my heel injury in early May, I was either not running, or just getting my running legs back to get through Vineman. Then for the past month, I just sorta did what I wanted training wise. 

Now, I've got my sights on a half marathon in late October, a few sprint triathlons along the way, and my foot is ~90% better, so I'm ready to pick up the pace with Picante with running.

Well, good grief Charlie Brown, getting back to speed work S*Cks! Or should I say, finding the mental toughness to just do em' again is HARD.

Monday I was supposed to do my first speed work session. Well, I only had the gym treadmill as an option and I poo-poo'd out after the first set. I just didn't have the mental stamina at ALL.

Then I was supposed to do the speed work Weds. Well, I was tired after standing up for 3 hrs at work, and had kid duties, etc, etc. so yah, no mental toughness there. Then I read Magg's latest post on mental toughness, and remembered what a CRUCIAL component it is to training. You need to train your brain just as much, if not more, than the body. I sorta forgot about that. duh.

So this morning, I told myself to just DO IT. I don't care if I'm ~20 sec's slower than my expected interval time. Just get back into it. I had my prescribed set from Run Less Run Faster and I told myself to just suck it up and go. 


Well, it did S*ck! I haven't felt sick to my stomach or out of breath for a looong time. And man, the mental games your head plays. wow. But I did a speed workout. No, I didn't follow it to the T, as I gave myself more rest than prescribed, and mixed up some of the 800's for 200's but it was SOMETHING. And now I have something to work off.

And the main reason I'm sharing this is because you all were SO in my head when I was beginning to wimp out, or about to do less than I knew I could. In the sucky moments, I was grateful to have 'suck it up buttercup!' and all your strong athlete voices and stories of mental stamina in my head. Thanks for the push. Now...get on out there and RUN!

Comments

Sherri said…
That was a great post! I would have to say, my mental toughness is zero...but I know it there if I work on it! It is healthy to remember that all athletes, no matter how studly they are still have to work on it! =)
Unknown said…
Great post, I've been there so many times too! At least half the battle is with your head isn't it? Good on ya for getting through them, the Run Less Run Faster plan is tough but it's worth it!
Jeffrey said…
Great job! Thataway to get out and get it done - to push on through. I did my speedwork yesterday evening and if it weren't for my running buddy who was all excited for it (how, I don't know?), I wouldn't have been able to push as hard as I did. Keep at it. I'm off for a long run in a couple of hours...wish me luck!
Maggs said…
Speed work does s@ck at first, but after 3-4 sessions it gets better. Still always hard, but you get used to it. And it makes you faster!
Teamarcia said…
Good for you for doing it! I'm kind of in the same boat, I feel like I'm just getting back to it and forgot just how much it hurts! But it feels sooooo good when it's done!
Anne-Marie said…
Way to stick it out and make it through the first speed workout! I agree they're really tough at first and maybe a little depressing when you know you've lost some speed (I always compare my current 800 repeat times to my high school 800 times which is a big mistake - I can't come within 30s of what I did back then!) - but they will get easier.

I agree 110% that the track workouts will help you to improve mental toughness! I often get a little intimidated when I get to the track and think, "I have to do 8 800's at x:xx pace? That's gonna be rough!" But counting them down helps, and finishing the workout is a great feeling of accomplishment.

And yay for blog friends helping to keep you motivated! :)
teacherwoman said…
JUST DO IT! Love the attitude! I just dit it this morning, myself. And, even tho I am nowhere near you speed maniacs... it was faster than usual! LOL
misszippy said…
You go AM! Yeah, speedwork is so hard, but so worth it!
Caratunk Girl said…
Way to suck it up AM! You are going to be so thankful you suffered though those speed sessions come race day! But I hate speedwork too.... You are a rock star!
Aimee said…
I tend to have a hard time doing all of my speed workouts too. For some reason, it's harder for me to have mental toughness for speed then it is for long runs!
Christina said…
That's what I thought when I was doing fartleks today on the treadmill.
I was dreading it. It was hard. It sucked big time. But I kept going at it. I kept telling myself to run really really really fast for two minutes and then you will get a break for 2 minutes. OMG. It was hard! But I was super proud I did it.
ShutUpandRun said…
So true. Speed work is the most mentally challenging workout, I think. Good for you for sticking with it.
sarah said…
That is exactly what you have to do to get back into speedwork - accept that it is going to be lame and hard and annoying the first few times out. It's totally about getting your brain used to exertion. I forget that when I don't do it for a while, or when I don't want to do the workout, which is almost always!
Christina said…
Hey AM, I usually don't specifically work on "r" with the 4-year-olds because "r" is considered a later developing sound. Good luck!
Megan said…
Ugh, I'm such a slacker on speedwork. I really need to get back to it.

Popular Posts