Goals for the Week 32: Which Distance do I Do?


Yes, LA was fabu! Yes, I'm tired this morning. And Yes, I did most things on my checklist, including finding a copy of Run Less, Run Faster. I was pretty stoked to find it in Old Town Pasadena. I read a big chunk on the plane ride home and it's given me fuel for a few running ideas.
A large part of the book's focus is on marathon training programs to qualify for Boston. That's not on my radar. I want a training outline to race a half marathon in ~12 weeks. And it has one, but for 18 wks. Ugh. So I counted out 18 weeks, which is the first wknd in December. And I immediately knew what race was that weekend:  The California International Marathon. And it actually got me thinking....?

Which leads me to my Goals for the Week:

Athlete: I have the book, now decide if I'm going for the Half at the end of October, or the Marathon on Dec 5th. Look at the training involved, be realistic with time, and honest with what my running goals are. 


Wife: Plan a bike ride lunch date

Daughter: Tell my parents one thing I love about them


Personal Growth: Visit a new store or place each day. Mix it up a bit. Go to a different grocery store, or just pop into a store I always drive by, but never visit.


As always, I write these down on a bookmark I keep in my organizer and attempt to read it each morning as a chug my coffee. I'd love, LOVE to hear what goals you've got goin' on for the week and/or beyond. Talk to me!
Also, wanted to share what I came home to last night. I had other LA pics I wanted to post, but this scene trumped them all. Today is my actual b-day and it was a sweet way to end a great wknd of LA gluttony;-)

Comments

KovasP said…
Happy birthday! What a great thing to come home to.
Heather said…
Happy Birthday!! Really, how could you top coming home to that? that's so sweet. Enjoy your day!!
Teamarcia said…
Oh how cool to come home to that! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I have something very cool for you too--visit my blog and check it out! ; ) So funny how things work out.
Emz said…
Look at your bed - so jealous! YAY for you!!

Love the photo of you. TOOOOOO awesome!!
Caratunk Girl said…
That is awesome!! And I have run less run faster and it is really good, although I ended up downloading their online training plan. AND I sent those guys an email with a question and they got right back to me - so keep that in mind.
Christina said…
Happy Birthday! That's so sweet.

I wanted to let you know that I have one big calendar and I put everything (meal plans, runs, work, etc.) on it. Today, I bought myself 2 planners and I'm going to use one solely for running and family and one for work.

I'm going to have a weekly goals too - Athlete, Diet, Chore/Project and Family. (Gotto have the chore/project so I will tackle a least favorite household task.)
Thanks for inspiring me.
Jill said…
Happy Happy Birthday to you!!!! :)

I always like to run a half marathon when I'm training for a full marathon. Just sayin'.
misszippy said…
Plus one to Jill's comment! Plus...that is one of those marathons that sound like a dream...go for it!
misszippy said…
PS--Happy birthday!!
MJ said…
happy birthday!! That is incredibly sweet. :)
Julie said…
Happy Birthday Anne Marie! I love what they did to your bed! Good luck with your training and goals:) I love the idea of popping into a new store that you have never been in...I might have to do that too!

Take care!
Aimee said…
Awww...that last picture is so sweet! Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!
Love your goals for the week. I hope your able to chose a distance and find a plan that will work for you!
Badgergirl said…
What a great welcome home! Happy birthday!
Pahla said…
Happy Birthday!!! I vote for the CIM because I'm running it, too! :-) Actually, I vote that you do both - I love a half marathon tune-up race.
1. Happy Birthday! :-)

2. My simple GftW:

a. run simply for enjoyment and see how far I go

b. enjoy great lunch with a friend (check- yummy pear/lettuce/pistachio salad!)

c. start volunteering with cancer patients (check- beyond amazing place in Fairfax, VA and FREE for the patients!)

d. swim a few times

e. finish art project

g. make gluten free banana bread muffins

h. send grandma a card

i. write a few stories (partial check... more done in 2 days than in 2 months!)

j. figure out next vol'ing dates for trail runs
Melissa said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
Love the balloons and sign!
Unknown said…
I agree that running a half in full training is a good idea :)
Happy Birthday and so glad you had a good time in LA!!
You family rocks to have done the sign and balloons, so sweet!
Maggs said…
Happy happy birthday! Or I hope you had one. It's almost over.

You know, there's a marathon out here the first week of December. I just saying.
Unknown said…
I'm a day late so I hope you had a very happy birthday! The balloons and poster are awesome, very sweet of your kids!
NY Wolve said…
Always good to be home. My daughter comes home Saturday and I can't wait!

I am a San Francisco person. My wife is an LA person. we get in big arguments all the time about the two cities, and which is better. I read that SF this summer is incredibly cold. Mark Twain said "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

My goal for the week: eat well and be strong.
Regina said…
hmmm...half or marathon....I think you can't go wrong with either choice.

Like your goals. Mine are not as lofty, or should I mine IS not as lofty: getting through the week with my sanity intact!
Wendy said…
Happy Birthday! What an awesome thing to come home to.
Sounds like you had a great vacay! Happy Birthday. What a great surprise to come home to!!
My goal this week: Eat WELL...packing on a few lbs after IM AND I have 185-mile relay this weekend I am racing, so need GOOD fuel!
Sounds like you had a great vacay! Happy Birthday. What a great surprise to come home to!!
My goal this week: Eat WELL...packing on a few lbs after IM AND I have 185-mile relay this weekend I am racing, so need GOOD fuel!
Happy Birthday

"lunch time bike date" I am writing this one down and saving it for the future, thanks for the idea
RunToTheFinish said…
wohooo only cool people were born in august!! happy birthday.

wanted to make sure you saw the triathlon necklace giveaway

http://runtothefinishgiveaways.blogspot.com/2010/08/triclique-pendant-giveaway.html
LMC said…
Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you're still celebrating! Your kids ((and your hubby) must love you alot, blowing baloons is hard work! :) BTW, I vote for CIM in Dec.
Charisa said…
Happy happy birthday!!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts