Barb's Half Ironman Relay: Race Report


So, I've showed off the fabu goody bag, along with unique pretty finisher's medal for Barb's Race. I also shared my doubts to even do the bike after Vineman 2 wks ago. I was just mentally NOT into it. But my fellow relay gals had NO expectations for our timing, which was exactly what I needed.

So, a little about Barb's Race. It's the only Half Ironman Distance ALL female race out there at the moment. But there are six different races all going on at the same time/place which included:

1. Full Iron Distance Vineman
2. Vineman Relay
3. Full AquaBike Vineman (2.4 mi swim/112 mile bike)
4. Half AquaBike Vineman (1.2 mi swim/56 mile bike)
5. Barb's Race (Half Ironman Distances)
6. Barb's Race Relay

Sounds pretty hectic eh? Well, it actually wasn't because there were fewer athletes overall than at the 70.3 Vineman. And this race day overall felt much more mellow/low key than  70.3 Vineman. That was the vibe. 

Now, my thoughts on my bike race and performance... Waiting for my Swimmer Relay Gal at T1 was where I got my race mojo. By the time she came in, I found my race face- and wanted to race. I was stoked.
 Out of T1, I had the power tap this time so was aiming to see if I could be at ~165-180. Since I'd never trained with the power tap I was very curious to see what my actual numbers would be..
The Barb's Race and Relay group was the last wave to start the swim, so I was in a position to pass a lot of people because every other race had started before me. I kept passing people, and half the time would say 'on your left, but I'm just relay!' because I felt like I was sorta cheating since just doing the bike.

I went out and biked my race. I wanted to push harder, but sort of didn't know how. But I felt way more confident on the downhills, and bike handling on the uphills-that was a good feeling.

At about ~2:35 with about ~5 miles to go...I told myself to GO for it! It's only ~15 minutes left. Just haul the freakin' mail and pedal hard- I don't have to run! By this point it was all ez road, I had passed the last hard hill (Chalk Hill), and I knew the course so I just biked- head down, cranked the pedals and pushed!

I came into T2 knowing that I had done around 2:47-2:50, but wasn't quite sure because I had started my timer sometime way out of T1. I had done the bike AND felt like I raced it.


Our Relay group ended with a 5:26 total time. Good enough for 4th place in our +120 age group (add the ages of all the ps in your relay). Hey, we'll take it. Here's us post race in our matching dresses w/medals:
That night, I got to see all the numbers generated from the powertap (I think my DH had more fun with this than me!) I can not believe all the info you get from it. It warrants it's own post. My average power was 170 and my normalized power was 180. Ave speed was 19.6 mph. I was happy to actually have a number to work with, and I'm happy with these.
Also, I biked a 2:50. I'm not gonna lie. I was hoping to be under 2:50. I thought I had it, but I was just off the mark. Hmmm..well it gives me incentive. A perfect little carrot you could say;)

So that's my race. If you're looking to do your first HIM or a female relay, I highly recommend this race. Also, if you're looking to do 2/3's of an Ironman sans the marathon, this is your gig. 


Also, don't forget to enter my SCAPE athletic sunblock /lip balm Giveaway. I used both during this race and it was the bomb!
 

Comments

Unknown said…
Well if I knew 3 other gals in my new area..I would certainly do a relay..so glad you had fun!!
Unknown said…
You are amazing! I think a relay would be awesome :)
Velma said…
great report. That looks like so much fun - the aqua bike is a great idea. I wish it was closer!!
great rr and looks like a fun race! sounds like another solid performance!
sarah said…
An all women's 70.3? That is awesome! I would totally go out and watch that, just to see ladies kicking butt (like you). Pretty snazzy bike time.
ShutUpandRun said…
This sounds like such a cool option for someone like me who could not do a half IM at this point (maybe one day???)
Great race girls! I was happy to read this since I am doing my Tri relay this weekend. Oly distance though. Sounds like you had a blast, and now I cannot wait. I'll let ya know how things go!
Rockin' bike time chica!!!
RunToTheFinish said…
i love all womens races, glad to know more about this one... though I'm getting nervous at the idea of a tri just reading about it!
Raquelita said…
You are a rock star! Great job and congrats to the all of you on such a great finish!
Unknown said…
Sounds like a fun race, and well done on coming 4th out of 120, that's awesome.
Jill said…
I'd like to do the relay with ONLY the marathon :). Love your pics!! SO cute. Excellent job on the biking!!!!
Rad Runner said…
Look at you and your AMAZING self!
Julie said…
Anne Marie...you always amaze me! You and your relay team did awesome! Way to haul some big time butt:) I am loving the pictures! Cute dresses that you girls are wearing...you look so freaking tiny! Congrats on a fantastic 4th place finish!
Anne said…
Congrats on your 4th place finish...you guys are awesome! You did such a great job getting your race on...and that sounds fast!

Love the pics :)
Badgergirl said…
I love all women's races. So fun. And so not intimidating like some other races can be. Great job on the bike and your relay team finish!
Anonymous said…
Awesome! You are getting me pumped for the Nike 1/2... Thanks for the information on the sunscreen I can't wait to buy some!

Liz
Congrats, I am doing some relays next season just for fun.

Popular Posts