THE Vineman Half Ironman Race Report!


Hip hip hoorah! The report! Before I get to it, I want to say I felt your vibes with me out on the course. It helped knowing I had (attempted) to post on race morning at the exact time of my swim start. When I felt myself straying with my brain, or sort of doubting myself, I scrolled through  my mental rolodex and thought  'Just think, bloggy peeps are rootin' for you!' So thank YOU!


And now my report. Ya ready? ....Hopefully you saw my primer post with pictures as well. So here we go:


Pre-race:


I was surprisingly not that nervous driving to the course and setting up my T1. It may have been b/c Maggs was only doing the swim/bike (no run due to her hip hurting). So she wasn't truly racing and that helped me feel more mellow about the race. Plus I was just so excited to get this race going and done. Seriously! I was ready to put together all the pieces of my training and race. T1 set up was fine, I felt very calm pre-swim and I was just ready to get the swim started and DONE (can ya tell swimming is not something I heart?)


Swim (1.2 mile):

I felt like I had a good swim. I never felt too tired, exhausted, or out of breath. I focused on my breathing and keeping an even pace. I thought especially with a wet suit, that I was going to do it in ~37-38 minutes. So I was surprised to look at my watch out of the water and see 41minutes. Oops! I guess I went out too slow-but this is a new distance for me and now I know. And I didn't let my time get to me. I really just moved on. Here's me exiting the swim:




Bike (56 miles):
I had a good T1 (2min). I handed off my wetsuit to Ironman Dude, slipped on my shoes/helmet, and was off. I also used Ironman Dude's powertap and wheel for the first time so I could gauge my power. I've only relied on my heart rate for all my rides and was excited to use both for the bike. And the powertap was great...til' it died on me at ~mile 10. I kept trying to re-set it, but it wasn't working, so I just relied on my HR. Oh, and my chain fell off too. So it took prob ~40 sec's for me to fix that. But no worries, I saw ~ten people with flats through out the course and was thankful it wasn't me.


The course itself was beautiful. really. And the weather was perfect. The clouds lifted at mile ~15 of the bike and it never felt hot. Racing wise, it was so fun to apply all my training rides into an actual race. It was great to feel comfortable and strong the entire ride. 

And now a racing first confession: I peed (more than once) on the bike! I just had to! I guess because it wasn't as hot as expected (only ~80 vs. possible ~98 degrees), but my body just didn't need the water. So the first time I did I thought 'Cool! I just peed on the bike! Can't wait to write about that!'  By the fourth time, I was a lil' concerned. Because I have NEVER felt that way on my rides or racing. (oh and this pee thing didn't stop)  

I came into the last ~1.5 mile of the ride and slipped my feet out of my shoes, so I could run barefoot into transition. I came in at ~2:55- a 19mph average overall. I felt great going into T2. I was stoked to have my legs conserved for the run.


Run (13.1 miles):
T2 was a good one for me (2 min) and I was off. Can't believe I can say that but it's true. And I felt good. Here's me at about mile one high fiving my lil' ones (I love my lil' A's matching pig tails!):




And thank GAWD I wore my Garmin. Because I felt like I was schleppin' along at the beginning, and my Garmin read ~7'30 pace. SLOW DOWN!! So I did. I slowed down to ~8' pace and still felt like I was schlepping. I told myself get to 8:15', but I just couldn't for the first ~2 miles. I finally got it down to 8:20 around the rolling hills and just settled into quick steps.

But guess what? I had to pee again. and again. and again. I honestly pee'd on myself four times through out the run. I was just a pee'n mess! I'm just bein' honest here. And I've NEVER had that happen. I don't know if again I prepped my body for a ~98 degree run, but it didn't need the liquids, and I didn't feel like waiting til there was a porta potty.

My overall strategy on the run was to get water and ice at each aid station. So I did and it worked. I chugged a sip of water and poured the ice down my tri top. Then I'd grab a piece of ice out of my top when I needed it. How sexy is that?? HA! But it worked!  I felt strong despite starting to slow down around mile 7. My pace became more like a 8:30-9' for miles 8-11. At mile 11, I tried to tell myself to pick it up a bit, but I was only going ~8:30-8:40 pace.Then at mile 12, I told myself to just go for it! So I tried, but it was reading only a 8:10 pace. I felt strong despite my pace and I was SOO stoked for that last mile. I turned the 2 last corners, where the majority of the spectators were and felt so happy to be near the end! 

I came down the last stretch and into the finishing shoot waving my arms in the air, giving high fives to 2 lil' kids, and really soaking up the energy! I couldn't see my family anywhere, but I was stoked for my race to be done! 

And I guess no one in my family actually saw me at the end or cross the finish line. Ha! How about that?  Apparently, everyone (my dad, Ironman Dude, the kidz, my mother in law, and friend) were all hanging out at the kid's jumpee, when they heard my name called at the finish line! Aw well, I'd rather that go 'wrong' than getting my goggles kicked off the swim, a flat on my bike, or bonk on my run. Here I am a few minutes post race, STOKED to be done!:

My total time was 5:34. You bettcha I'm happy with that. I came in under my expected 5:40-5:50 time and I was 18th in my age group (out of ~110 gals). I was just so relieved I felt strong and raced my race. It's the best I've ever felt during a race, and I now have that distance under my belt to build upon. 





And there ya have it. My first Half Ironman Triathlon experience. Thanks so much for taking the time to read it! And I love the running pic with my kids the most. To me, that picture best exudes what I wanted to gain from the experience. To race with passion and appreciate the ride along the way. Now...I wonder what race I should attempt next...;-)




Comments

Anne-Marie said…
CONGRATS! You rocked it! That's great your first half ironman experience was such a positive one. Hope you're enjoying a few days of recovery :)
sarah said…
Congratulations! Not only is that a stellar time, but you look incredibly strong and just joyful in the pictures (let's pretend it was ALL joyful). And you must be such an inspiration to your children. Wow.
Regina said…
What a great race time! It blows my first one out of the water! I totally get the pee thing. That is EXACTLY what my race was like. I definitely over hydrated on a 62˚F day. Live and learn.

The energy is amazing and your post took me straight back to my own experience. Well done! Enjoy the high!

What next? If you are like me, two weeks later I signed up for another one!
ShutUpandRun said…
Good grief girl you are strong!!! I have HIM dreams one day and am looking to you for inspiration. The pee thing is crazy. It did make me smile though to think of you on the bike just peeing your way along, then running and doing the same. I have tried to pee during a race before and could not get it out. So that makes you even more of a stud in my opinion. congrats congrats!!
ShutUpandRun said…
...and you have some crazy guns on those arms of yours!
Julie said…
Hi Anne, Marie,
OMG, you are a freaking machine! Your times are amazing to me! How and the hell can you keep up that awesome half marathon pace after flipping swimming and biking your ass off!?! I am in awe of your awesomeness:) Nice work there lady! Also, your body is amazing and yes, you know that I am straight:) Just saying...you look great!

I had such a great time in your hood:) We did not end up going to the festival after the half. We went back to the hotel...I got cleaned up and we drove to a few different vineyards for tasting. I told my hubby that I want to do it again next year:) When I fly down next year we absolutely have to get together:)
MarciaG said…
Great recap...you look great!!!!!!
teacherwoman said…
Congrats girl! You ROCKED it! I like the idea of how you put ice cubes down your shirt! LOL
KovasP said…
Congratulations on an awesome race! And that swim exit photo is priceless, what a great smile.
Laura said…
Congrats!!! Way to Rock a race!
Emz said…
OMGosh you are completely amazing.

Way to go!!!

The photos are awesome.

You rocked this!
Jenny Hinman said…
Again, awesome job. The pics are great. Hope your enjoying your week off. Had a great time being there and watching all of you amazing athletes.
Dang girl! That is FANTASTIC!! Even with all of the pee! congrats mama!!
Caratunk Girl said…
Congrats! You are freaking amazing - awesome time overall - especially the bike! Awesome RR too - I love the picture of you with your kids too!

Oh and yeah - way to pee on the bike! Ha - I haven't done that yet, glad to see it isn't that big of a deal! :)
Aimee said…
Woohoo! Congrats on your race! You did awesome and totally ROCKED! Yay for a PR too! :)

Your pictures are really great too. You just look like you were having a great time!
*~*~* Tracy said…
Wow! You are amazing!! Great job! And I agree, you've got some serious guns on those arms. I have arm envy!
Samantha G said…
Ha! The peeing is so funny! That's probably one of those things people say "Ohh I would NEVER do that" and then when you find yourself in that situation, all bets are off.
I love the ice-in-your-top idea, I should start doing that before I go out running :)

Congrats on having such a wonderful race!!
Megan said…
Wow. You did have a good race. Congrats! I might steal the ice idea at my next half.
Flat-out amazing!! Way to go!! Hope you are as proud of yourself as you can be, for you deserve it.

Next on your list... well, if you decide that an ultra is up your alley on the other side of the country- I'll glad let you crash at my place (not far from Start/Finish)...

Bull Run 50M is in April- http://www.vhtrc.org/brr/

(BRR note- there's ice cream at the Wolf Run Shoals aid station... and Stan and Margie put on a mystery theme each year!)

If a 100M is better suited for you- MMT could be it (which is full of ROCKS) is http://www.vhtrc.org/mmt/

Good Luck with all future endeavors! :-)
JC said…
Woohoo - way to go on your FIRST FREAKIN 1/2 IM! Woohoo! You pee'd so much holy smokers! I have always been so nervous to do so - but I guess it all just becomes water. I will have to email you for details of the whole situation.
Congrats again on such a fabulous race/accomplishment!
Molly said…
Awesome!! Love you high fiving your kiddos...congrats!
Beth said…
Great race and I love all of the pictures. You did awesome!
Congrats, you had such a smart race! I am jelous that you can pee on the bike and run - I can't get relaxed enough, hrr! Do you like your bike? What kind is it and was it expensive? I have a 30lbs one for now, but would like to get a better bike for next season! Congrats superstar!
Christina said…
You must be a form of bionic woman. You are awesome! I'm so happy that you had a good race. Love the peeing on yourself story.
Rad Runner said…
Girl that medal is sweeeeeeeeeeeet, and you look amazing! All the way through, gleaming at the end!
Congrats! That is SO awesome. I'm attempting Barb's Race in two weeks and my belly is full of butterflies. Can I ask you a couple questions offline about the course? My email is jumpmarketing at gmail dot com
Velma said…
Holy cow!! You did awesome, and you looked so happy. Nice work!!!
Anne said…
Congrats! You are such a rockstar...I loved reading this. You were so well prepared. I guess the nutrition worked.

Great pics...beautiful smile and very fit body!

Love the pee disclosure :)
Dion said…
Woot, woot!!! You look strong and happy. Congrats!!
Unknown said…
You totally have this hard ass girl all choked up right now!!
I am so happy for you!
Those photos are amazing and what a great report :)
You worked so hard to get this and came in under your goal! So proud of you!!!
Pahla said…
WOW! And again, WOW! Love that pic of you high-fiving your kids and thanks for the TMI peeing stories. LOL. Congrats on a really great race!!
OMG what amazing time, you defiantely ROCKED it and thanks for the laugh about all your pee, you got to do what you got to do!
I'd like to hear what you are doing next also!
Unknown said…
AWESOMENESS! AMAZING time! you rocked!!! At my last marathon I peed myself the entire time.. not sure what that was all about. It was uber humid and clearly I was overhydrated!
misszippy said…
Fantastic job! You rock!! Really nice placement in your age group too. Woohoo!

And hey, I've peed on the bike and on the run before. I think once you've had kids and you do tris, it's inevitable!
VegetariRun said…
Wow, great race! Congrats! I can't believe you were running that fast after the swim and bike. Inspirational as always :)
Unknown said…
Amazing, you're so fast, and what an acheivment! I'm very proud!
Unknown said…
I just re-read that... I should have put 'of you' at the end... I'm not randomly proud haha
Great report and AMAZING job!! You totally ROCKED chica!! Great placement for your age group. Loved all of the pics, but the one with your kids was the best.
I cannot believe the peeing. I have heard of people doing this, and just cannot make myself do it, you freakin' studette!! Peeing in the wetsuit, one thing, on the bike and run....I am gonna have to practice that one. =)
Will you do this race next year? A group of us from CdA are looking to come down for it!!
Excellent job!!!
wonderful AM, I'm so proud of you, for so many reasons.
Thank you,
+ heather
RunToTheFinish said…
oh my gosh I love how great you felt the whole time!! this definitely motivates me to kick my arse like you do, so tha trace day goes well...ok minus the peeing on myself I just don't see that happening :)
Wendy said…
You're amazing!! So proud of you!
Badgergirl said…
Dang! You rocked that half iron! Congrats!
Unknown said…
what a great race for you!! Congrats. Next time I'm wearing a name tag so we can find each other, haha.
CONGRATS.... I love that your smiling all the time in the race photos
LMC said…
Congratulations Anne Marie!! I am so happy for you and so darn proud of you and everything that you've accomplished! I had your race in the back of my mind this past weekend, but could not get to your blog (cuz of all my crazy skin junk and vacation). Anyway, you rock and I thank you for sharing your journey with us!!
BTW, love all the pix, but agree that the one with the kids is special...and you said that you would not do that cuz you're so competitive, HA, guess you love those kids more! :)
Lisa said…
congrats on the incredible race! I'm glad to hear it went so well for you. Love the pics - the one of you with your little ones is super cute!

Great job!!!
Raquelita said…
1. Congrats on the awesome half-iron man exerience!

2. That picture of you high fiving your kids is really, really fantastic!

3. Your arms are crazy buff. I envy.
Unknown said…
I read this race report back when it happened (from Running Mom's) but I had to go back and read it with fresh eyes having just completed MY first sprint.
Amazing woman!! You are my hero!!
I love the high fives too~I ALWAYS have to get a high five from my little girl before every race :) Love the pic!!
Congrats on a great race even it if is a little LATE :D
Unknown said…
Want to know about facetime for pc then click here
facetime pc
Unknown said…
Want to know regular updates of Euro Cup 2016????
Get Euro Cup live Streaming,Euro Cup 2016 Schedule,Euro Cup 2016 Fixture,Euro Cup 2016 Live Streaming,Euro Cup 2016 Live Stream,Euro Cup 2016 Live Score.
Venue-France,From 10th june-10july. 24 teams,10 stadiums. Stay updated. Watch Poland vs Portugal Live Streaming.
Anonymous said…
Have a look at if you want to know about veterans day, Happy Veterans Day Quotes
which is one of the most important holidays in the U.S and why is it celebrated. Stay updated with all the latest information.
gfhfghfgh said…
هل انت تحب الالعاب على الانترنت؟ اليوم سوف نلعب في افضل لعبة طبخ على الاطلاق لعبة شهيرة جدا ومميزة تستحق التجربة انها لعبة طبخ باباس الشخصية المشهورة في عالم الطبخ للألعاب لعبة نالت اعجاب الكثير من الاطفال بحيث اصبحت من بين افضل العاب الطبخ على الاطلاق هناك ايضا العاب أخرى متنوعة كصنف العاب سيارات 2017 هو الاخر مميز ومليء بالمتعة

Popular Posts