This is My Foot...

It's a foot post folks! I've talked about the whole 'foot' thing many times now. The confusion, the PF diagnosis, the heel feeling better...then not. It ultimately didn't feel as good as it should last week. So I asked for a podiatry referral, and had the appointment today...And Gracias Dios Mio for the appointment!

First, they took Xrays! Which is what I wanted! Just tell me already if it's PF, or something more. Well, above is my foot. Isn't it cute? Everything looks just great except for that lil' hook thingy at the end of my heel. Here, lemme give you a better look (as shot by the Dr. Foot Guy himself!):

This is not a shot of the Wicked Witch of the East's shoe. That's my heel with a HUGE heel spur...which is basically a bone thorn. You're not supposed to have those. Your heel is supposed to be pretty much round and smooth. But such is not the case with my feet. I've GROWN (yes, folks I grew bone) a heel spur and it's come to the point where it's just too much and has gotten in the way with my life. So now I know. And now it makes TOTAL sense why I kept saying 'it just feels like I have a thorn in my heel'. Literally, that's what I'd tell ps daily.


So...the good news is I know what the heck is up with the foot. Dr. Foot Guy told me it was most likely NOT caused from The Relay I participated in (which I had cast'd as the villan). Rather, it developed gradually over the past 3-4 years and had just probably had enough around The Relay time. 

The better news is they gave me some things to help me out pronto! They taped my foot, gave me a night brace (yes Maggs, I know have one too!), and scanned my feet for a new pair of my first orthotics. I should have them in a week.

The even better news is he said my Newton Running shoes were NOT the cause of my injury. I love my Newtons, and just bought a cool new pair last week to help with the whole sit.


And the BEST news? Hold your breath people...He said I could run... now. Wuh? Yes...he said I can run AND I could be 'healed' for Vineman in 5 weeks. Now how I actually fare on the run at Vineman is a different post all together, but I swear I almost started tearing up when he said those magic words.
So that's what workin' for me over here. I know a lot of PF/Foot friends are in the house. Tell me, what's been your experience with heel spurs? And for all the non PF/Heel spur folks out there...I don't have an answer on how to steer clear from this, but I think post run stretching probably would help. Peace out people!

Comments

Maggs said…
I have a heel spur too. And I just got new pink newtons! 5 weeks. Time for me to put down the donuts.
Jill said…
It's like you have your own high heel? Ok, that was a bad joke. That is crazy that you can grow children and a bone! That doesn't make any sense, how can that just grow like that? So they don't know how that happened or how to prevent it? Glad that you have some answers and got such great news today. HAve a great run!
XTB-XAVI said…
Oh! my goodness....that is weird?!?!?!...but at least you know what you have...and can enjoy with it! lol

Cheers from Hong Kong!

¨XTB¨Xavi.
teacherwoman said…
That looks like it could be pretty painful! Glad you can still run... and I LOVE the look of those kicks!
JC said…
That totally looks painful! Glad to hear that you will be better for Vineman:) Nice new shoes too! Okay - I just read what the other Jill wrote about your own high heal and laughed - sorry:((((
KovasP said…
Great news! A diagnosis of a problem that can be solved, what a relief.
Steel Springs said…
I'm so glad that you figured out what's going on and that it can be solved! It's also great news about Vineman!
ShutUpandRun said…
Yippee on being able to run and do Vineman!!!! I know that makes you very happy. That is a crazy crazy looking hook on your heal. Wow.
misszippy said…
Fantastic news! So glad you can run again. Love those Newtons too--sweet color.

I don't know if I have spurs or not--my podiatrist never checked for them. But, I am an orthotics wearer and am very careful about my shoe choices b/c the wrong pair can really irritate it. Anyhow, good luck with it all!
sarah said…
Seriously? I wish you could see the look of horror on my face when I saw the heel spur. Egad! You poor thing! I can't imagine running on that, but if you're safe, then go for it.
Jill said…
OMG girl, first the nutrition and now the heel....are we two peas or what??? I started having heel issues last summer and my massage therapist said it was PF. But over the course of the next few months, it went away, gradually, and I didn't think much of it til this spring when it came back with a vengence and whammmm...come Boston I was in such excruciating pain, I couldn't walk on it for days. 2 months later and I'm still nursing that puppy and any run longer than 10 miles is causing me some major grief. I fear it's a stress fracture but I have not been to the dr due to a lack of insurance thingy right now... but you give me high hopes that maybe it's just a spur, too. I heel strick with my right foot and maybe over time, something just grew there??!!??

Anyway, please keep me posted on your progress cuz I need to live vicariously though all your progress in hopes it rubs off on me. Good luck with the foot!!

(p.s. Do your Newtons make you run on your toes more and off your heel???)
Aimee said…
Wow! That is just crazy, but I'm glad you know what it is now! And, it's awesome that you can still run! But, what do you do for it? Does it just go away on its own?
Unknown said…
Wow I can't believe that's your heel! Glad it's not going to affect you or your running too much though, good news :-)
Caratunk Girl said…
Fantastic!! I am so happy you can run and you have relief from your pain...that heel spur looks PAINFUL!! AHHH!
Anne said…
Wow! So glad that you now know what it is...and that you can run...yay! But, it sure looks painful...
I am glad you have an answer and you can go on from there and WOOHOO to be able to run soon! Sending you quick recovery vibes!
Julie said…
Hi Anne Marie,
Yea, you can run!! Also, I am glad that your beloved Newtons were not the cause of your issues:) Take care!
Unknown said…
OMG!! I've never seen such a thing..how do you just get this sort of thing..I've had some recent heel pain and wonder if that's why..thanks for showing this, I think I should get an xray.
Anonymous said…
Felicidades, Mujer!!! I'm so glad you're going to get some relief, and that you won't miss Vineman.

But can I tell you the silliest thing that made me lmao? When I saw the title of your post, "This is My Foot," I kept expecting the next words to be "This is My Foot on Drugs." <=)

I know, I know, I am sooooo weird! =)

xoxo
Christina said…
Love your Newtons. Love the colors!
AND YAY!!!!! You can run!!!!! I am excited for you.

P.S.: The Hills - Actually that show was on my mind while I typed that post. I had been watching Season 1,2,3, of The Hills on Netflix. I have never watched that show before. What a crazy world.
Ok, that looks pain full, does it go away? or is ot always going to be there? how does it go away?
I've been WONDERING where you've been hiding! We miss you over at cafemom :( I'm right there on the injury bandwagon with you. I tore my anterior talofibular ligament. Except no running for me. Even aqua jogging hurts. BOOO. Come back and visit with us!
LMC said…
Just curious about what your kids think about "the hook" cuz it seems pretty cool, except for the painful part. I'm so glad that you now know what the real problem is and that you can run!! Good for you to keep pushing for the right diagnosis. That alone is a challenge! Have a great weekend!!
Oooh, those are so painful! You're a tough cookie...mmm a cookie sounds good right now. sorry! I love Newtons, too! Are they going to shave it off? Last resort, I know.
Beth said…
That hook on your heel is a little scary! I'm so glad that you got it figured out and that it sounds like you are going to be totally fine. That is fantastic news!
Alicia said…
Wow! I've heard of a heel spur but never really knew what it was. Ouch!
Lindsay said…
Wow! I am so happy for you thought!!!! Awesome news:)
Megan said…
Wow. That's gross and awesome! Good thing you can still run.
Teamarcia said…
Holy crap cowgirl what a spur! I'm so glad you can still run though--isn't it amazing how much it means to us that when there's a threat of it being taken away we panic like that?
Love the Newtons! I <3 mine!

Popular Posts