What's Working: Cooking Cool Casseroles!

Hi! Wanted to start off with the above pic, just to showcase that I did have the kiddos help me cook.  Lil' A helped me layer the Green Chile Casserole. And I wore that black tank yesterday and felt pretty sassy;-)

And Nutrition Gal is pretty much the bomb. Not only is she doing my daily intakes (what I should eat/when and especially around training), but also gives me family dinner recipes that quite frankly are fabulous! I've made two of em' so far this week and each time Iron man has said 'Wow. It smells so good in the kitchen!' Yeah, confirmation right there for me.

And she's also micro managing me this week. Which is a good thing, b/c it makes you realize as a mom/worker/trainer how much your schedule shifts unexpectedly. So what she has down for timing... won't now mesh with your last minute changes. And that's why the micro managing is perfect. In an instant she'll respond to a text and tell me how to accommodate the changes of the day. Because last minute changes is the reality over here, as I'm sure it is over in your casa.

And I'll post a nutrition for 'training' post later, but felt inclined to share a casserole dish I've LOVED! Here are the ingredients to the Green Chile Casserole that lil' A and I are finishing up above:
Green Chile-Chicken Casserole
Total Servings:    12
Serving size:     about 3/4 cup

     1 1/3  cups  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
     1  cup  canned chopped green chiles, drained
     1  cup  chopped onion
     1  cup  fat-free sour cream
     Salt & pepper
     1/2  t cumin
     2 cans Campbell’s 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
     1  garlic clove, minced
     Cooking spray
     24  (6-inch) corn tortillas
     4  cups  shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
     1 ½ C Cabot 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese
    
1.    Preheat oven to 350°.
2.    Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
3.    Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
4.    Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese.
5.    Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. It's so dang good. I feel like I'm 'cheating' or something.

And now for a second casserole. Shrimp Enchilada Verde (i used red sauce) Casserole.
My computer's acting funny on me so can't share the casserole igredients/recipe. wah! But here's a pic of it, and I'll save it for another rainy day (yes folks, it's supposed to rain AGAIN here in Nor Cal!). I also asked Nutrition Gal if she was cool w/me posting her recipes/tips/etc and she said OF COURSE in a heart beat. She also said it was cool for me to post her name and email in case any of you want to venture down her nutrition path.  

Her name is ...drum roll please...Tabitha Cornish and her email is nofadsnutrition@comcast.net.




Enjoy friends! I'm off to do some bloggy reading! Do you make casseroles over in your casa? Have any favorites?

Comments

Megan said…
I am not normally a casserole cooker. Here in the South they normally go something like a can of green beens, a can of cream of mushroom and can of blah, blah, blah. Or cheesey chicken rice broccolli nastiness. Since, I'm opposed to crappy ingredients, I don't eat that kind of stuff nor do I left it in my house.

But those look pretty tasty and Mexicany which is always good. Congrats on rockin' your kitchen.
Teamarcia said…
Those sound yummy. However the Caveman won't go near a casserole. I'll have to make it on a girl's night. Thanks for sharing and I love your kitchen helpers!
I am impressedX2: that you cook such elaborate meals (my husband cooks over here) and that you are so determined to work on any element of training in order to improve! Nice!
Jill said…
Well, of course I loved this cuz you know me ;). You'll be proud of me, at least - I have researched the website and scoured all my text books and am at least TRYING now to get in the right carb/protein/fat ratios down, along with my weight. So far so good, but hey, it's only day 4 - ha! Thanks so much, AM, I am in awe over your total dedication to your training!! HUGS!
Tabitha said…
Ok, AM, thoughtI'd chime in on this blog...yes, it's your nutritionist here....I am keeping you accountable/compliant this week! :) Thank you for thinking of me today; you should be thinking of me all day long anyway. LOL
Ok, just stress to your blogger friends that you had two casseroles this week ONLY b/c we can't seem to shake the winter weather yet. I promise lots of grilled foods and refreshing sides/salads for the sunshine coming our way this weekend! :) Good work, my friend!!!
Velma said…
Awesome! I don't love caseroles but kiddos love em, so I will have to try yours. Thanks for sharing!!
Lindsay said…
Okay those look so yummy!!! I am going to try these out!!!
Unknown said…
That looks delish! I love to have the boys help me cook!
teacherwoman said…
Looks very yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Steel Springs said…
Those casseroles look good! I think it's great that your kids cook with you.
misszippy said…
Yum! I'm going to try that one. I am a big fan of Cabot reduced fat cheeses, so that can't go wrong in my book.

Great picture of you guys!
You're making me hungry :-)
Looks yummy and yes you do look "sassy" in that black tank top! DH is not a casserole kinda guy so we don't make them here!
Lisa said…
Your nutritionist is amazing! I'd love to have her in my life!

The chicken chile casserole sounds fantastic! I've only made one or two casserole's though since it's only the two of us and we'd probably get sick of it before we finished it!
LMC said…
Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. You're doing a great job on all parts of your training. You rock!!
Maggs said…
Those look good. I'm a crock pot kind of girl. I'm going to post my most recent favorite recipe soon. Crockpot coconut curry chicken.
Babbs said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babbs said…
I was trying to say... these recipes look delicious! Thanks for posting them (and thank nutrition woman as well). Yum!
Aimee said…
That looks yummy. I used to make a lot of casseroles, but when we became vegetarian, they just kind of went out the window. I do a lot of one-dish meals though that are awesome! They're great b/c they are pretty easy to make and we almost always have left overs the next night.
Anne said…
That looks delicious...Tabitha sounds awesome!
Julie said…
Thanks for the wonderful recipe:) It is lunch time now and I am so hungry! Looks delicious:)
ShutUpandRun said…
Looks so good!!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe.
Sherri said…
Cooking with the kids is the best! I am so glad that you shared your recipe...I am excited to try it! Keep posting them!
Unknown said…
I haven't done a casserole for aages, I should veggify some of these they sound great!
Anonymous said…
Thanks, AnneMarie! Now I'm tempted to actually cook -- or at least pass these on to Husband, lol! Happy Memorial Day!
Jenny Hinman said…
We love casseroles. I can't wait to try it. I am shooting for making it this week. I love your little helper.

Popular Posts