Saturday Sidenotes


Just wanted to share a few ideas swirling around in my life before the week is over. I mean, a-hem!  It is Saturday nite (well, now maybe Sunday for you East Coasters and beyond), and I'm icing/elevating my heel over here (i'll get to that), so what better time to blog;-)


First: I live in Sonoma, Ca, a small wine country town (you may have heard of) located in the Bay Area. It's  not well known in the international running circuit for creating uber endurance runners (it's no Encinitas, Ca;-). Not until now.  Suzanna Bon, a fellow Flowery Dual Immersion Elementary School Parent (had to give that shout out), is a Rock Star Endurance Running Freak! She will be participating in the 24 Hr Running World Championships. Yes, this means she will be running non stop in a ~3 mile loop in France for 24 hours. Twenty Four Hours Folks! She made her debut 24 hr race in SF running 137.X miles around a track. WTF?! I'm proud to say I know her, and recommend checking in with her blog and the World's this Thursday and Friday. 


Next: well this one....I don't even want to type, but here it goes. I may have a slight achilles heel injury. ouch. ugh. I've deduced the injury most likely occurred from running on the gradual downhills of my 2 legs of The Relay, in my Nike Frees. The Nike Frees have been fabulous for me, but I've never run downhill w/them so I think the heel striking on the downhills in my lack of support Nike Frees= not a good thing. But the verdict is still sorta out on level of injury. I have still been able to run, but since Thursday, it just doesn't feel right. So I've been icing it ~3 x's a day, elevating it when possible, and am now kicking it in with some Advil. It feels better than Thursday, and I don't run again til' Tuesday, so we'll see. 


Last: Tomorrow is Mommy's Day! And ya know what? I don't want any gift from my husband kiddos. What I really want is to just relax, get my (longer) workout in, take a nap (woo-hoo!), send some love to my mom, and call it day with a BBQ. And how cute are these cards/flowers lil' A & N made at my gym's Junior club. Had to show them off (and my virtually clean table. A rarity!)


That's what's on my brain over here. Happiest Mommy's Day to all you Running Freak Studettes's out there who I stalk and love!

Comments

Maggs said…
Happy Mother's Day! Hope your family takes good care of you!
Unknown said…
I LOVE all of your Mother's Day goodies, you are truly loved and appreciated. Thanks for the PROPS for Encinitas and you're right! There are a zillion talented tri athletes, endurance athletes and just FIT people around here. There's always a new one sprouting up too! HEY, I teach at a Dual Language Elementary school too! Are you children in the program? Could you tell me when your friend is running in France? I hope she has a great time!
I hope your heel is better TOMORROW, as soon as you wake up. You deserve a wonderful Mother's Day, keep icing!
Maggs said…
Oh, and roll the calf/soleus out on a tennis ball to help the achilles (you'll know when you find the right spot, you can feel it from the knee to the bottom of the foot...but it's a good kind of hurt!) And google eccentric stretching. Do that a couple-three times a dayand it really helps. I'm dealing with the same thing right now
Unknown said…
I like both of those tips from SSB! Heel striking in minimal shoes is not fun! It takes practice to hunker down to go downhill and yet still lean forward. Downhills are an art form I have yet to master!!
Hope it feels better soon and Happy Mothers day!
Unknown said…
Love your new layout! The colour is gorgeous :-) Hope your achilles feels better quickly and that you get your mothers day wish to relax all day!
LMC said…
I bow to anyone that can run a 3 mile loop repeatedly for 24 hours. That is just amazing! Good luck to Suzanna and good for you for the shout out on her behalf!!
I really hope your achilles is back to normal very soon!! I also hope you have the perfect Mother's Day, just like you described it!
Happy Mothers Day! And aren't those homemade cards the best Mothers Day gift ever! Have a good one!
Happy Mothers' Day. Hope the heel behaves!
Anne said…
Happy Mother's Day...I really hope the heel is nothing serious. And, 3 hours loop for 24hours!!!??? yikes :)
Caratunk Girl said…
Happy Mother's Day! I hope the heel is OK - that just stinks!!
Julie said…
Hi Anne Marie,
Happy Mother's Day! I love those beautiful cards that you got from your kiddos:) They are precious. I got to take a nap today too!! I hope that your Achilles gets better soon. I would really like to try the Nike Frees...I have heard great things about them. I purchased a different type of Nike running shoe in the past and it did not work out for me. I think the Nike Frees might be a better choice. Take care girl!
MCM Mama said…
Sweet cards! Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day!
happy mother's day! hope your heel gets better soon girl :-)
I had an achilles injury last year, R.I.C.E alot!! Dont get too bum if it flares up from time to time, mine did.
Tracey Kite said…
Hope your heal gets better quick. And those cards are great, Happy Mothers Day!
Aimee said…
Aw...those cards are too cute! I hope you had a great Mother's Day. :)

And, I'm sorry about your heel. I really hope it gets better soon!

Popular Posts