What's Working and Not So Much

Ahhh...I'm breathin' a big sigh of relief as I'm typing this post in an adorable coffee house in Truckee California, because our cabin DOESN'T have internet! Wuh??? I was shocked when I discovered this, then I went into panic mode: 'What the HECK am I gonna do at nite when my mom/sis wanna watch Dancin' With the Stars, and I want to catch up on bloggyville?' Nooooo! 

Then I thought 'okay, wow Anne Marie. Ya' can't live a few days with out the dang internet/computer? Isn't this your time to just be with your mom/sis/kids?' And the answer is well, yes from about 9am to about 9pm, but then what about the early hours and the late hours when it's my bloggy LOVE time?  Well this lil' cafe about 10 minutes from our cabin has been my answer this morning.


So here's what's Working for me:
1. My training has coincided well with this trip. I had to do a longer endurance style outdoor run, and doing it in the snow was pefect. It was so novel to run through the big snowflakes around the lake. I had to take a pic to share (above)

 2. Before we left, I googled Truckee swim centers, and found this swimming pool which is also ~5 min from our cabin. It really is a new adventure to seek out new placess to swim and train. Again, I felt pretty cool;-). Here's the pool and me post swim. And it was only $3 (Actually, I only had $2.95 cents on me, so the sweet gal charged me as a kid for $2. Seriously, things like that can make your day). Oh, also this pool is WAY better than my gym's pool at home!


3. Watching my kids' sled down the sidewalk path of the cabin. The look on their faces has been priceless. nuff said.

Okay, What's Not Workin' So Much:

1. No internet at the cabin. Wah! AND I think Starbucks is lame as you have to pay for internet service there. Like a lot! (~$30/mo)! That's why I was SO happy to find this cute coffee shop that gives FREE internet service w/a coffee purchase.

2. Snow Cabins = Free Allowance to Snack on Anything, Anytime. 
When did I forget this equation? It's been a snacking mayhem for me while I'm up here. I'm virtually kettle popcorn, ice cream, potato chipped out...virtually;-)

3. Haven't been able to revise my goals in my sparkle notebook like I intended. I've reviewed them and it's interesting to see what I have/haven't done so far, but I haven't revised them yet- and that's what I need help with. Feeling stuck with it.

So that's what's happening here for me in Snowland. Would love to hear how it's going for you this week and what's working and not!

Comments

JC said…
I've been to Truckee California! That's awesome! I absolutly LOVED the drive there through the mountains with gushing water and little cabins right beside - so beautiful! Have fun and don't worry about the snacking.
Lisa said…
I'd be lost without the internet. I have to confess, I'm an internet addict. I'm also an iPhone addict. Yeah, I have some problems.

Way to fit in your workouts while away from home. I'm impressed!
It would be tough without internet. But I think I'd try to embrace it. Internet will be there when you come back. Enjoy your time!
The joys of a "retreat", I think its great you found everything you found so close. WHo wants to watch DWTS when there are blogs to be read.
Unknown said…
It looks gorgeous where you are!

I love it when people do nice things like the woman at the swimming pool, it can totally make your day, I was waiting for a bus once and a guy got off the bus and gave me his day ticket cause he was done with it so I got a free ride, don't know who he was but he made my day haha :-)

I'm probably going to sound like a dumb Brit here but I had no idea it snowed in California, I thought it was really hot there hehe
Julie said…
I would be lost with out a computer for a few days! I can admit it:) Great pictures and way to still be working out at the cabin:) Go you!
misszippy said…
It's funny...my family and I do a trip to the Adirondacks each summer where we have no electricity, no internet, no phone service, nada. And it's the best time for the four of us without all the distractions. HOWEVER--this summer will be my first time going since starting my blog, and not so sure how I'm gonna do! Looks like you're having a great time. Enjoy it!
Maggs said…
Looks cold there! Glad you could find a pool. I'd be lost without internet. Not really, I'd actually like it for a couple days, get caught up on reading.

Did I mention it looks cold there?
teacherwoman said…
Sounds like you're having a good time. Enjoy it! Relax!
Megan said…
Yesterday, the lady in the car in front of me at a coffee shop paid for my coffee just because I let her go ahead of me. Made my day.

Good for you for keeping up your swim training when it's snowing outside. I couldn't do it. Too cold.

What's working for me: Finally getting my rear into gear and getting back into my morning running routine.

What's not working for me: Allergies. I'm tired of a stuffy sinus.
Ewa said…
No internet? How can one survive without internet? I know I wouldn't.
Anyway, the snow is amazing. We are only like 3.5hours from Truckee so maybe we could still do some skiing. I mean cross country skiing.
Enjoy your stay there even if you don't have internet. :)
Sherri said…
I enter blogville at the same time of day...early or late. Sometimes in the day I will sneak away and read a few!
I always struggle to get a workout while vacationing! YOU ROCK! I am determined to improve!
Looks Beautiful!
Enjoy!
Melissa said…
yippee for internet and an awesome pool!
Good for you1
Dion said…
What a fun vacation!

I've been poking around your blog (you are in awesome shape BTW), and I was curious what eating plan you follow. I want/need to clean up my eating. I'm a lifetime WWer, but I'm have the desire to move past it and see where this body of mine can take me.

Any suggestions? What works for you?
Feel free to email me: dion dot mote at gmail dot com

Thanks ever so much!
Unknown said…
So glad to hear that you are having a good time! I think its awesome that you are keeping up with being productive while on vacation!
Gotta love a good coffee shop too!
Rad Runner said…
Look at that snow!
akjenniekt said…
I feel the same way about the internet- I think I spend more time on the net then I do on anything else. I feel very disconnected when I am out of touch with it.

It looks like it was a great run and it's nice that you were able to find a pool nearby.

Have a great rest of your trip:)!
Anne said…
What a contrast with your Hawaii pics :)
You are doing so good figuring out how to get your workouts in...and managing to stay in touch with us :) Looks like a mostly great vacation!
Sherri said…
Hey I nominated you for a blog award on my family blog...your an inspiration to all mom's.
Caratunk Girl said…
Sounds like a great vacation - you were lucky to find a pool so close! AND I totally hear you about DWTS - I usually catch up on my blog reading when most folks are watching TV.
Jill said…
I still can't believe you were in Hawaii last week and snow this week...ugh, I've had enough snow...but that pic of your kiddos is adorable :)!!! Too funny about the $2.95 - that's something I'd so do, too. Oh the stories of lack of money when needed I could spew. haha.

My bib is: 18646
PLEASE don't expect anything miraculous...I totally plan to just cruise along at a snail's pace! Thanks SO much for all your great support, you're the best - I mean that!!!
enjoy the beautiful snow! i'm sick of that stuff. seems like your trip is working out awesome so far! coffee, a pool, snow.... not a bad combo! you went from one extreme to the next :) i can tell somebody likes to travel!
ShutUpandRun said…
Sounds like you're doing the best possible under the circumstances! Snow always makes me want to eat too!
LMC said…
Great job getting the swimming done! So, maybe a few snacks are OK. I'm with you on the internet. I gotta have it!
What's working: Running in warmer weather.
What's not working: Work, too darn busy this week.
I like your pix. Thanks for sharing!
Aimee said…
It looks/sounds like you're having a great time! Yay for running in the snow! Yay for an awesome coffee shop! Yay for a great, cheap pool! And, yay for your kids having a great adventure! :)

Popular Posts