Nutrition 101: Eating to Train

My health goal this week is to attempt to figure out my nutrition/calories of my daily intakes and see how it pertains to my current training load. For the past few weeks I haven't hit my pace numbers, so after reviewing my general food intakes, Mr. Coach highly recommended I consult a nutritionist.



Well, Gracias a Dios for blogs, b/c my former nutritionist read my post and offered to help. Cool! So we're currently in the middle of emails of my intakes/training and her analyzing and getting back to me.


And in the meantime, in these past 3 days, I've become aware of just how many calories I'm burning during training. In the past, I never paid attention to the calories on either my Garmin or Polar because...well, because it's just one more thing to worry/think about and I figured I'm eating enough to fuel me. Well, now that I'm amping up my training progressively to ~13 hrs/week, I figured I should check it out.

So...yesterday my bike took ~400 calories and my run too ~500 calories. That's 900 calories!! Holy Moses! (And my workouts are supposed to get more intense/long) In the past few months, I gave myself ~2500 calories a day (1/3 of em' not so good calories...I'll be honest right now), and figured that is prob enough. Well, 2500-900= 1600 which seems like a good amount of basic calories to have, but I think I need more like ~1900. Just to live and schlep the kids around. And I'm not giving myself the right calories at the right time: pre/post workouts.


So I've been WAY more mindful of it this week (2 whole days I tell ya!). And I think it's making a difference. I'm eating more for breakfast, making sure I have ~200-300 calorie protein/carb snack ~30 b4 my first training, and ~150 calories in protein recovery drink right after (not to mention a ~150 electrolyte/carb drink during either the bike or strength training). 


And I'm packing my snack bag more mindfully. Hence the pic above. Normally my snack bag included the kids' leftover goldfish/pretzels/Clif bars from their lunches (I'm not kiddin' and all you moms out there are noddin' your heads). Well, not this week my friend! It's all about MY snack bag: jug of protein recovery drink, string cheese, cottage cheese/berries, banana, odwalla protein shake, banana, trail mix..you get the gist. 

So my take away is this: I need to shift my mind to realize I'm EATING to train. Not the other way around. This food/drink above is what's gonna fuel to hit those numbers/watts/etc. Not just today, but for tomorrow, and the next day too.

Now I'm waiting to hear back my fabo nutritionist (who might blow all this out of the water)...but this is my theory for now. 


And, I'd love, love to know if you:
A. pay attention to your calories in/out
B. have a plan/theory you believe in/follow
C. even give a ratt's @$$ about calories, shmalories!;-)

Comments

Maggs said…
I think eating to train is a big thing to realize. It all matters. I think what you eat when you train and right after has a huge impact on how hungry you are later. A lot of people skimp on this to lose weight, but then end up taking in more later as a result. Keeping a food log can really make a difference (I did do this for 2 weeks one time, and really learned a lot from it).
XTB-XAVI said…
...betwen B. and C... but I will have a look at my training nutrition very soon!

Cheers from Hong Kong!


"XTB" Xavi.
Lindsay said…
I think your so smart to look at it GIRL you burn a TON of calories!!! I log everything I eat and I really think it helps! Good luck figuring it all out :)
Unknown said…
Oh Girl, this is embarrassing. I just don't take the time to count calories or think too much about balancing my nutrition. I think I need a nutritionist too. Can anyone out there help me too?
This is a long term goal for me, especially before I start training for my next marathon.
I have a pink water bottle just like yours! How many times do you refill it per day?
Great post!
Steel Springs said…
I'm curious to hear what your nutritionist says.

Those look like delicious snacks!
Unknown said…
I keep track but its hard not to eat more than what I am burning. Its also very hard for me to get enough protein and the right protein carb ratio being gluten and casein free.
Dion said…
I don't keep track of calories in or out. I think I should. Like I told you in my email, I'd like to push past my current plateau. I, too, would love, love a nutritionist!!!

Someday...
Julie said…
Hi Anne Marie,
You are so flipping organized...tracking your nutrition! I should really be doing the same. I have been running and I have noticed that I am building muscle in my legs. I am a little frustrated because my favorite pants are getting a wee bit tight in the thighs:( When I run more I tend to eat more because I feel like I am so much more hungry! Let us know how everything works out for you!
Teamarcia said…
I feel like I know what I should be doing, the challenge is in actually doing it. When I'm falling off track I go t Dailyplate.com and track my in/out. I really should get back there...
I am good about eating when hungry, before and after workouts, etc. I am bad about snacking. If I give my son a snack of goldfish, a handful is going in my mouth. Yes, I do that nonstop. I've never had a weight issue, but I am still carying 5lbs post pregnancy that I'd like to lose. During the past week I started using my daily plate, and weighing myself (weight and BF%); this somehow made me more accountable with myself and the mindless eating is almost gone. My BF% went down, too! Nice post!
I monitor my calories. After losing 70 lbs I feel like I always will. But I definitely don't fuel to train. I really want to get started doing that. I'd love to hear how it goes for you!
JC said…
That is AWESOME that you are doing that. I don't REALLY. I do generally eat pretty healthy though but I have vises (don't we all) BIG one id diet pop. I've discovered having 1/2 pop and 1/2 water helps. I eat tons of dark veggies and good snacks and I'm doing the protein thing after the workout. Of course I could be better - couldn't we all - BUT this is life! I have 2 treat days a week too and they are 2 days between Friday and Sunday - so instead of buying the 400gram bag of nibs and eating the entire thing (oh I can and I did the math it's about 4000 calories) I buy 3 pieces of nibs from the store and when it's gone, it's gone. It's always easier to pay better attention to what you are eating closer to races to because it's a bit more tangible. So great that you are doing this!

Oh - the 1/2 is Vancouver BMO.
JC said…
And thanks so much for the good luck wishes - I REALLY want the splish so I am going for it.
misszippy said…
This is something I have been working on also--mostly b/c I am NOT at race weight right now and I need to be. My biggest place to fall down in mindless snacking--like you said, the goldfish, etc., all empty calories.

On another note--maybe your intake is a bit too protein heavy? You do need some good quality carbs in there for fuel. I'll be interested to see what the nutritionist says, 'cause I am NOT one!
Ewa said…
With the abundance of food it is so easy to overeat. And snacking! Gosh, when I was a kid we never snacked. Never, ever! Now it seems like a norm. Not good.

Ever so often I track my food intake (love Nutritiondata.com for their huge database) to make sure I am doing well, and most of the time I find a lot of room for improvement.

BTW, do you also find that Garmin calorie counts are WAY higher than Polar's? Of course I would love to trust Garmin more.
Rad Runner said…
Great post! Training for my first full marathon (currently) I am doing the same thing, really stepping back at looking at EXACTLY what is going in my body. As a vegetarian too, I really need to pay close attention!
Aimee said…
Great post! I too need to be mindful of what I'm eating, but I haven't started tracking my calories yet. And, I have so been there with eating the kids goldfish, cheerios, etc...blah! You are so right, we are eating to train, and that's what I need to start focusing on too!
Charisa said…
Eating to train is a great way to look at it!
I have been working on this as well.
Anonymous said…
I love that you set goals weekly! I just found your blog, but I'm going to keep checking it out, because goal setting is one of my favorite things. I am huge dork, I know.

Calories...well, I trained for a half marathon that I completed about six weeks ago, and I mostly just tried to eat clean, whole foods. I didn't count calories much, but I can see why it would be beneficial when training the way you are. Good luck!
Caratunk Girl said…
I need to work on this - I am a terrible eater/fueler.

Love your blog, you always have good stuff!
Jill said…
As commented in last post (I think. I'm so out of it lately, hahah), I have to work on this, too! My old trainer used to be a nutritionist and this was so good for me but alas, I'm soloing it now and feel lost (sigh).

btw, I did fix Leslie's link. :) Thanks!!
teacherwoman said…
I think it sounds like you know what you need to do!
Tracey Kite said…
This is something I need to work on also. First I need to start looking at food as fuel instead of yummy treats, then I can move on from there. I know when I eat better I perform and feel better, so you would think I would just do it right?
Unknown said…
I try not to count calories cause it's not healthy for me given my past. Instead I just try to listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry cause more often than not if my body says it's hungry it needs the food and it doesn't seem to affect my weight or anything else if I eat more one day than I normally would... Sounds like you're doing the right thing though and finding out what works for you :-)
ok i must say i feel guilty for reading this because i just downed some oreos. i sometimes track my intake but usually around and before race time. for now i'm being a lil lax obviously!
isela said…
I haven't counted calories that I eat nor the calories I burned, however, I have been thinking that maybe I should start, since some days I just have no energy at all and others. I need a nutritionist too.
Good luck and I hope your nutritionist can help! I love the statement "eating to train"!
RunToTheFinish said…
I do pay attention to my eating. Mostly my goal is to get in 7-9 servings of fruits and veggies, if I do that everything else falls in place. Right now I'm focusing on cutting out as much of the not so good as possible

Would love to hear what you finalize as a nutrition plan
Melissa said…
I can never figure out how much to eat while training. I think next time I train for a big event, I'm going to go to a nutritionist so that I do it right. I'm not training for anything right now, but I am making sure that I get in all the necessities (protein, dairy, veggies, fruit, good carbs). I find that once I've eaten the proper amounts of those, I'm not hungry for junk.
MCM Mama said…
I totally suck at this. I can never figure out how much I should be eating and then am even worse at paying attention to what I'm eating. Hope you keep blogging about this as I'd love to pick up some tips.
Anonymous said…
Dailyplate seems to be helpful, if you know what numbers you have to hit. AND..they have an Iphone app - I know how "connected" you are. ;) AM - as always you inspire!!

Popular Posts