Hawaii Part 1: What a Difference a Year Makes!

Aloha! Okay, before I get to my post, just want to say I know I'm on vaca...so am not able to read all the bloggy blogs like I normally do. So my absense of reading/posting is only vaca temporary. Actually, who am I kidding?!  I know I'll find a way to sneak in a peek here and there and get to some of your blogs. It's addicting I tell ya!

And now on to the post. Seriously, what a difference a year makes and in so many ways. First on an 'Athlete' level. Last year, Lavaman was my first OD triathlon...ever (hence why I have it as my blog header pic). And I think I did all right for myself. It was my first time racing with my tri bike, and ALL of it, from the ocean swim, to the gut wrenching distance of that windy 10k run was a new experience. 

And I haven't been out on that Lavaman road course since then -until this morning. I rode the course for my workout, and man, I can tell I'm a completely different rider. wow. My cadence is completely different, and my effort/power is much stronger. Plus, I actually just feel more dang confident on the freakin' bike (Like 'okay Mr. MAC truck, bring it ON) My ride was a big 'a-ha' moment to realize how far I've come as an athlete than from a year ago.

And it was just me and my Ironman Dude last year. We left the kids at home and enjoyed a ~5 day vaca. And it was great. But this year we brought the kids, extended the trip for 5 days, and so far it's like everything is in DOLBY stereo. My lil' ones are 4, and it's like we brought along our best friends/#1 fans for the ride. Without sounding too Disney- it's been magical. And I feel like all you mom/dad's out there with kids this age and older are noddin' your head like the Miley Cyrus song. You're baggin' what I'm rakin'.


One thing I'm not NOT diggin' however is the actual cost to schlep our bikes over. It's seriously ridiculous. Like that money could've given us ~1.75 days more of Hawaii... So might as well show off our bike box/bag since it's a big part of the trip. Mines the bag on the left;-):

Okay, this may be a bit long of a post. Bottom line/take away message from this- I'm excited. I'm excited to be here with my kids and Ironoman. And I'm excited to see me take on the race Sunday. Your *voices* will be in my head. Bring it ON Lavaman!

Comments

Unknown said…
Aloha!

Well done for your imporvements :-) I can't wait to hear about the race, you're going to be awesome!
Velma said…
YEA!! Have fun!!
Anne said…
Wow! You look gorgeous :)
Have a great time...it does sound magical!! You're going to do amazing.
MarciaG said…
I can feel your excitement!!
I love that your kids can experience this with you this time around-what a treat!
teacherwoman said…
I hear it's spendy to fly those bikes around, and I can only imagine how expensive it is to get them to Hawaii! :) Have a great time, girl!
misszippy said…
Woo hoo! Lucky you. I haven't taken my bike anywhere in ages...but it is so expensive, you are right. Back in the day we use to tip the baggage handlers $20 and they would send them onto the cart w/o charging us the excess bag charge. I'm pretty sure those days are long gone!
Silvergirl said…
Sounds like a wonderful vacation! Enjoy!
Tracey Kite said…
I am so excited for you. That is great you got to go ride the course and see just how much a difference a year makes. You are going to do great and I can't wait to hear all about it.
Stacey said…
Good luck on Sunday and have fun!
Urban Earthworm said…
Oh! I am so glad Karen sent you over toward Cheap Wine and Cookies, because I am so glad to have found your blog! Heaven knows I need some inspiration in the running world lately! This pregnancy has me wiped out and I can't run worth a darn anymore (add to that McGyver's huge fear that I'm going to push myself too hard and hurt Pip).

I can't wait to hear all about your adventures and this Triathelon! Have a great vaca!
Sherri said…
You look AWESOME!!!!
I am so excited for you!
Can't wait for details....HAVE FUN!!! =)
Stephanie said…
Yea for Hawaii! I just LOVE Hawaii! That is awesome you were able to bring your kids...This will be a vacation of a lifetime for both you and them!
Good Luck!
Unknown said…
So excited for you! I miss Hawaii and wish I could take the kids there soon! Have a fabulous time and can't wait to hear all about it! Kick some Lavaman A$$ lady!
I LOVE YOUR BIKE!!! What a beaut, the paint design, salsa and all. Love it.
Jill said…
I'm getting so excited for you...can I be nervous on your behalf? I'm good at doing that for my friends :). It's going to go so well, I just know it! I took my twinies to Hawaii when they were 5 for the first time and it was just that...magical! They STILL talk about that trip (and they are 14 now). Now go out there and pounce on the competition!!!!
Julie said…
Someone looks like a hottie...and with a bike:) I am so excited for you Anne Marie...you are going to do awesome!! I am sending you big time positive kick butt vibes!!
Black Knight said…
Enjoy your time at the Hawaii!!!
Megan said…
It's always nice to recognize you've made progress.

When the kiddos are there at the finish, it always makes that last little bit so much easier. Plus, it's good for them to see mom compete. It inspires them.
SurferWife said…
You're a total stud and a huge inspiration!! I'll be thinking of you on Sunday. My husband is doing the California 70.3 on Saturday.
Unknown said…
So bummed I couldn't get on the plane with mom and join you guys!! Good luck to you and Mikey!!
Teamarcia said…
Oh honey I am definitely baggin what you're rakin!
Have a fantastic time! I LOVE HAWAII!
And before you totally choke on what you paid to get your bikes there know this: those bike "cartons" raise your badass rating exponentially!
Anonymous said…
Yeah! I can"t wait to hear about the race. Have fun and kick butt, like I know you will!
Badgergirl said…
Enjoy your time in Hawaii and good luck with the race!
Unknown said…
You have the vacay glow, girl! I can't wait to hear more about your vacation and race, I'm so excited for you. So, what are your GOALS for the race? Obviously or should I say, hopefully, you don't have any vacation goals other than "have fun!"
Hugs!
LMC said…
Great idea to ride the course and feel so good about it! That's a confidence booster, for sure. I'm so excited for you. All my good vibes, good luck, good everything are headed your way. You're gonna do great!! Enjoy it!
JC said…
Have a super race this weekend! Kick some BUTT and remember your plan!
Beth said…
How wonderful to see all the progress you've made and to share your trip with the whole family. I'm so happy for you! Have a wonderful time and enjoy your race. I can't wait to read all about it!

Popular Posts