All Right...I'm Gettin One

Most of my run workouts, no actually all of my run workouts this past month or so have required me to run a certain pace. And so far I've (virtually) managed to do so by a treadmill, or knowing the distances around my house and gauging how long it takes from one point to the next (pace watch aficionados, I know you're already shaking your heads...)

Well, that was not the case 2 Saturdays ago, when I needed to do a fartlek run during my otherwise gluttonous LA getaway vaca. So we ventured out to run the Silver Lake Reservoir (yeah, I felt like a cool LA chic), but I quickly realized I didn't know how long the route was, so had no real gauge if I was running a 6:56, 6:50, or 7:00 min stretch...and I think that makes a difference (at least that's what my trainer is telling me).  So as I did my 10x 1 min sprints on this stretch of path above, w/out knowing if I was hitting the right pace. ugh. 

And that experience right there convinced me to finally suck it up, and justify forking out the dough for a Garmin. But now I have to do some research(ugh), so I've also asked a few fellow runners on social network groups their recommendations, and they all rave about the Garmin 305. And I read this blog touting it as well.
So I'm on the hunt for one. 

I tried my luck at REI, but they didn't have any in stock (hate that when that happens). So I'm gunnin' to order it on line this week. But before I make my final decision and cannot turn back EVER (okay lil' melodramatic), what do you recommend if you're a Garmin virtuoso or novice? Do you like/love/hate yours? Am I koo koo for wanting one, or not having one? Do you know any blogs out there that are doing one as a giveaway?;-) 

Comments

JC said…
I don't have one and probably should get one , but I have had great experience with ordering stuff off of EBAY. Usually cheaper. But definitely do your research before purchase.
Badgergirl said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I'm actually in the same position as you, just ordered myself a Garmin 305 a few days ago. Managed to find a pretty decent deal on Amazon.com (can't go wrong with free shipping!).
AM! said…
Hi gals, thanks for the tips. just checked out amazon and it's ~$30 cheaper than rei...;-)
Maggs said…
I had the 305 for 3-4 years and it finally died. I loved it. I upgraded to the 310xt and love it EVEN more. But you can't beat the price of the 305s right now.
XTB-XAVI said…
Try 310 XT Garmin....excellent...I am using it since 6 months ago!

Cheers from Hong Kong!

"XTB" Xavi.
Teamarcia said…
A Garmin is pretty much a 'must have'. You'll love it and have no regrets. I think I got mine on Amazon too.
Thanks for stopping by my blog

I am a 305 believer, is it awkwardly big, yes, but the data and tools make it worth it. Do some searching, since the 310XT came out (way too expensive at $400+ just so I can swim with it), you can find 305's easily under $150, I got mine at Best Buy for $125
Dion said…
I'm positive that you will not regret your decision to purchase a Garmin. I have the bottom of the line model, the 205. It does all I need it to do, as a novice runner/biker. It doesn't have heart rate monitoring, but other than that, it is the same as the 305 (from my research).

Happy shopping.
Unknown said…
Thanks for the comment on my blog :) Glad to find yours it looks great! I'd love my own garmin, I always borrow my boyfriend's unless we both want to run at the same time.. I like it cause I can run any route or change my route and still know my stats for it.. hopefully I'll be able to order my own too soon :)
Julie said…
Hi Anne Marie,
I am a Garmin 305 girl and I love it!! My husband purchased it for me from the Running Room when it was on sale.
AM! said…
I REALLY appreciate all of your comments! I'm chuckling that I haven't gotten one sooner...
Charisa said…
Having something that tells you your pace can be so helpful - think of all the great places you can run instead of the treadmill now :) I think Costco sells them sometimes & has sales on them too.
Aimee said…
Yeah! I'm so happy for you! Thanks for linking my blog post... :) I'm glad my post helped!

Like others have mentioned, Amazon has a great deal on the 305. I actually got mine at Costco when they had them on sale. I'm not sure if they still carry them, but it might be worth looking into!
Jill said…
I had to laugh, I never owned a Garmin until the day after I got back from Boston last year. Every tempo run was a guesstimation and every track workout was with a plan old watch. And you know what? I think I actually ran better then because now I just obsess over that stupid little pace # displayed in the window! And it drives me mental. Hahaha. I won't wear it in a marathon because of this pace obsession I have, it's better for me to "feel" my speed in a race and time my miles and adjust accordingly then rather than at every microsecond. What I do like about my Garmin, though, is distance. I was never really sure how far I was going, just guessing, and now I know for certain. Anyway....I'm rambling. I do love my watch, but maybe a bit too much. Hahah. (my friends all chipped in and gave it to me for my birthday last year. Sweet!!).
Born To Endure said…
you look cool in that pic..:-) where's the snow though?
Unknown said…
It's so nice knowing your pace, distance and just exactly what you're doing out there. I have a 405 which I love, I had a 205 and missed it at first but now I LOVE my 405. I especially like down loading my runson their site. I'm not sure how it differes from the 305 though. Good luck!
Unknown said…
I couldn't do 20 push-ups at the beginning of the year, the numbers increase pretty quickly if you're training them - I needed to increase my numbers cause doing the girly ones hurt my knees and there are lots of push-ups included in the workouts at the boxing gym.
teacherwoman said…
I got a Garmin 305 for my birthday from my parents (in December) but haven't used it yet. Remember, I live in the arctic. Hopefully by March I will be able to get out there and test it out! :)

Popular Posts