Week One: Let's Write Goals, Heck it's Fun!



Happy First Week of the year! Its arrival brings a stream of hopes, ideas, and inspiration for  the year.  But isn't it just like life to throw an obstacle our way every now and then, so you don't forget who's got complete control? I got the stomach flu yesterday morning, and I'm still hung up in bed. Ugh! Not the picture I was envisioning to kick off the New Year!  But I feel better today, and good enough to organize my thoughts for a post. (and thank god you can't see what my house is looking like at the moment!)
Before I share my Week One goals, I thought I'd share five ideas on creating New Year's/Weekly goals.
1. Goals are better than Resolutions.
The word resolution already has you cornered, like you've done something wrong and you need fixing. You don't need fixing, you need tiny goals that continue to inspire you to make the most of your day
2. Make your goals Specific and Measurable.
Instead of saying "I'll run more", which is broad and loosey goosey, say "I'll run 3 times a week for 20 minutes". This gives you a specific action to work towards.
3. Make your goals realistic.
Half the time people don't reach their goals because they make them either so loosey goosey or too grand.  If your goal is  "Don't ever have any more candy", is that really possible? Plus, that statement right there gives zero inspiration or hope. Are you just trying to cut back? If so maybe start off with baby steps and say "Have 3 pieces of candy a day and switch to carrots".
4. Frame your goals in the positive.
Again, using the word 'Don't' is already setting yourself up for failure. It's so absolute. "Don't eat ice cream after 10pm" could be phrased as "Have ice cream after dinner and if I still want more, have a sugar free pudding or tea"
5. Focus on the replacement behavior vs. the undesired behavior.
If I write my goal as "Don't have starches with my dinner" that leaves me thinking only on what I shouldn't be doing. It's not giving me any direction on what I should be doing instead. It's like the old saying "Don't think of pink elephants"...what are you thinking about right now?
So instead think about what you want to replace the behavior with. In this case, maybe more green vegetables, or hearty quinoa? So you could write " Have one half of my dinner plate be filled with hearty greens or healthy grains"

Initially, it may take a  lil' more time to create your goals at first. But if you put more initial thought into your plan and how you frame your goals, you will have much greater success through out the week and year.

And now my Goals for the Week: (caveat-I haven't been sick like this since pre-babies, so don't know how this is going to set me back for the week!)

Mom: Write/mail kids' birthday thank you cards
Athlete: Look at my new training program and see what I can do physically each day til' I'm better
Friend: Set up a playdate;)
Health: Be mindful when I'm on the computer. Allow myself ~4 times through out the day to work on email, work and blogging.

As always, I write these goals on a bookmark I keep in my organizer and attempt to review it each morning as I plan my day. Would love to hear how you go about planning your day and week;) And again, happy week one!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Morning!
I hope you are feeling better.
I found you trough Jane's TWFD last week and I like! I had been thinking about goals and plans for the new year and reading your blog inspired me and made me think. I have always made goals for the year, but somehow lost steam 6-7 months in, but weekly goals may help me along. And make me stop and think! That gets lost so easily in the everyday swooosshhsh of life.
/Mary.
AM! said…
Hi Mary,
So glad you found me via TWFD. I *heart* that site;) Hope to hear how your goals are going down the road and six months from now!
Cheers! am
XTB-XAVI said…
Beginner Triathlete for sports goals...for my next HIM Singapore 2010.

Daily agenda at work...plenty of short, medium and long term goals! too many...

Family, enjoy as much as I can, specially during weekends and vacation!

"XTB" Xavi.
Maggs said…
Great post. I went to the Air Force Academy and probably the most important thing I took away from there was "set high but achievable goals" I think you have to be prepared to fail from time to time, or you're not reaching high enough.

Popular Posts