Those Dastardly 5k's...




Part of my new training program has me set to run a bunch of 5k's in the upcoming months, including one tomorrow morning. 5k's can sound so harmless and seem like no big deal (relative to longer races and tri's), but really??
I'm currently cringing at the idea of getting out there tomorrow and (attempting to) run HARD for 3.1 miles. Oy!
I mean there's not much tempo-ing, settling in, or saving your energy til the end strategy involved here. With a 5k, it's just about warming up, then hitting 'GO!' on your mental meter at the starting line. 
While I did okay at my first 5k this summer, it was a VERY small race, in a VERY small town. I know I'm whining right now, but that last .1 mile is gonna feel like a doozy! 


And I know I'm bringing all this 'pain' upon myself...;)


So really, I also know this:

Tomorrow morning I get to wake up and drive to the city with a fellow running buddy, sans kids, and sans responsibilites, to embrace a small,unassuming, race venue on Fisherman's Wharf. I get to run my heart out and feel good knowing I'll be driving back home across the Golden Gate Bridge with a sugar coffee in hand before I know it.


So just stop whining Anne Marie and do it;)
  

Comments

Maggs said…
Open 5Ks are hard. I'd much rather do one in a tri. I think the next time I do one I'm going to take my trainer for the warmup. What am I saying, I doubt I'll ever do another open 5K. Or 10K. Just too much pain.
XTB-XAVI said…
Sprints...are never easy and can be a surprise for our body!

Take care and enjoy tmrw!

"XTB" Xavi.
GOOD LUCK today! I LOVE LOVE LOVE 5k's. Well, at mile 2.9 I pretty much hate them, haha, but I always feel a huge sense of accomplishment after a 5k :)
AM! said…
Thanks so much guys!
Sipping my coffee now and about to head out...Didn't sleep too much (ay!), but looking forward to having it under my belt;-)

Popular Posts