Spin Test 101


I completed my first official spin cadence test yesterday for my triathlon training for Lavaman and Vineman.  Woo-hoo! But first, a little background:  
I've done sprint triathlons now for the past six or seven years, and became more serious with the sport ~three years ago (with the help of hiring my first trainer/nutritionist). Since then, I've grown to really *heart* the sport, so became a certified personal trainer and USAT coach. I say all this because I'm now amping up my own training with a trainer who specializes in triathlon, and I'm curious (and excited)  to see my results this year from this new training program. 
Wanted to share this Spin Test:


This is my CompuTrainer recording. The BIG number on the lower right side is what matters  with this test (note: I took this shot on my iphone during my 'cool down' so the 52 isn't what I was at-:). The 50 in the upper right is the power watts, which isn't important in this test right now. The 3:30 was my mph (during the test it was ~16-18), and the 35 number is overall time.


My Spin Test was to start at 70 RPM (rotations per minute) and increase my RPM by 5 every two minutes, and record my heart rate. EZ enough. I've been practicing my cadence on both my bike and run for the past ~three months so starting at 70 was a cake walk (smart move coach....made me move up slowly)
Well, I made it up to 150RPM and my heart rate was 179. It was freakin' hard at the end. What got me through was knowing I could be DONE after two minutes of 150rpm.
schwew. 
I didn't know exactly what these results are telling me, but I got a 'nice job honey!' from DH, and my own coach (who is sparse with compliments) said 'very impressive'...twice! 
I think it's the ability to spin at a high cadence and build power on it, that'll hopefully improve my bike.
That's what I'm lookin' for at least! We'll see come the end of March and July;)

Comments

Maggs said…
Awesome. Can't wait to see how you do in March!

Popular Posts