On the Flipside



Flip turns have never been my friend. Heck, they haven't even really been an acquaintance. If Flip Turns were on Facebook, I'd earnestly attempt to befriend it, only to be continually ignored. ugh. 


I mean, I may get in one decent flip turn here and there, but I inevitably always undershoot the wall, scrunch my body up in a ball in my attempt to flip, or freak out with my breathing, so don't even bother with it. But I'm trying. 


So when I first took this 'accidental' picture of my swimmer BF doing her thing in Lane 2 (before I hopped on over a few rows to the slow, slow, slow lane), I chuckled at it's potential @$$ humor, then sorta forgot about it. Then this morning, as I was cleaning up my iphone pics, I realized what a GREAT example it was on going into a flip turn. Look how her legs are relaxed, her upper body has already flipped and the momentum of her body is bringing her to the wall, where she'll snap her legs and push off. ugh! I'm jealous.


I'm jealous that my swimmer BFF is BFF with the Flip Turn. I mean look at that relationship above. It's so effortless. Just how a great friendship should be. Just how a flip turn should be. So maybe if I just relax my body and mind a little more, and keep the above picture in my head, it'll come to me. 


And then maybe...just maybe... on the flipside, It'll wanna to be MY friend. Think it can happen? I'll keep ya posted...;)

Comments

sarah said…
You are so cute.
p.s. I just ate 4 homemade chocolate chip cookies so I might flip and vomit in the morning.
Maggs said…
My flip turns are awful, but they are faster than an open turn. An old friend told me I needed to learn flip turns so I could swim against people I should be swimming against, instead of always being dropped at the wall. I work on them from time to time and it seems to help.
JC said…
Flip turns can suck sometimes - especially coming from backstroke into the wall. Your swimmer BF has it right to be relaxed. They do make you faster off the wall forsure!
Hey - I found your blog too!
Cheers!
AM! said…
thanks gals!
update: did my swim workout yesterday and was conscious yet less mindful of the whole flip turn thing...and found more success. i just kept the above pic in my head as I went into the flip;-)

Popular Posts