37 and 41: 2010 Base Training has Begun!



37 and 41. Those were the ages of the 1st and 2nd place women for the New York Marathon on Sunday. 37 and 41. Watching them battle it out and cross the finish line was nothing short of super inspiring. 

And while I'm not 37 nor 41, I'm right there in between, and I'm now inspired to view my 2010 race season in a bit of a different light. I'm moving beyond thinking about my performance against just my age group, and now racing against the entire field. Because this marathon showed me that age is just a number and my mind and body deserve a chance to be pushed to a limit that's not defined by only that.
So here's my list of races I'm 'gearing' up to do for 2010 (hence, the uber serious shot of me on my bike:):
February: Kaiser Half Marathon
March/April: Lavaman, Olympic Distance Triathlon in Hawaii! A race
May: Napa Valley Sprint Triathlon
June: San Jose Olympic Triathlon/ Hit the Road Jack 10k
July: VINEMAN HALF IRONMAN A race
October: Nike Half Marathon (if I get in!) or Healdsburg Half Marathon
December: California International Marathon A race
And November is the perfect time of year to start putting together a race plan for 2010 and focus on base training.  I'd love to hear what races you're 'gearing' up to do for 2010 as well! Here's to age always being on our side!

Comments

Hawaii again! ooh I'm jealous :)
So, I'm a newbie. I just ran in my first 5k this past July (a fun run), my first 10k in October (first timed race) and am preparing for my first half-marathon in March.

What exactly is base training?
And do you have any info about putting together a race schedule? Like how often and far apart your races should/can be?
AM! said…
Hi Becca,
Thanks for asking!:)
I plan to write more about both base training and putting together a race schedule.
Generally, base training is the time where you don't do high intensity workouts but rather focus on skills and efficiency in your running, biking or swimming. The goal is to work on your weaknesses and build volume.
For a race schedule, you figure out which races are the top ones you want to do really well in (your A races), then create your calendar around these races. It depends on the distance/type of race that would dictate how far apart your races should be. Good topic that I'll plan to write more about that soon.
2010 is going to be an exciting season!

GO HALF IM!!
Anonymous said…
Right on! My sister,mother of three tots and 37ish, just ran the NYC to raise money for the form of cancer my mom has...just set her mind to it last spring when we all found out. She came in at 4:06, which I am not sure how it figures in the racing world, but I think it is great considering how little prep she had! Now, why can't I even get myself to run a mile!? MB
AM! said…
MB- your sister rocks!:)

Popular Posts