Week 33: IAAF Championships


The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Championships were these past 2 weeks, and talk about inspiration! Dang! These people are fast.

It inspired me to have my own track workout this past week. I was curious to see how fast I could run a 100 and 200 yd 'sprint'. So, after a warm up, and 4x 800's, I tried out a 200 then 100 dash.

My 200 yd run: 36 sec.
The Fastest women's: 17 seconds.

My 100 yd dash: 16.0 sec. ( I had the wind at my back:)
The Fastest women's: 10.73

The experience was humbling but really fun! So I was only ~5 seconds slower than the fastest lady in the stadium. But that 6 seconds is half the race! She'd be at the finish line when I'd be just outta the starting blocks. And it's taken ~80 years for the fastest person to shave 1 second- that's ONE second, off the 100yd time from 1920 to 2009 (10.6 sec to 9.6 sec).

I walked (well, sorta limped) away from the workout with the utmost appreciation for the speed I was seeing in these athletes (Like Ms. Lauryn Williams above).


So go try it out for yourself as a fun track workout. Warm up and just run all out. Or time yourself for an 800 or mile. And share how it goes. But be aware that your quads will be SORE the next day:)

Comments

funnily, I was talking with someone the other day about running...and doing some sprint work. At our age, and older, someone asked "...when is the last time you ran as fast as you could?"

Feels like being a kid again...just make sure you are very warmed up so you don't get hurt!

Feel young again! and make running fun!
Anonymous said…
Agreed! Feel young and run like a kid!

Popular Posts