38th Big Birthday Swim

Here's the big swim workout my dear friend Sarah wrote for my birthday. I was too tired to attempt it after a night of karaoke- so I set out to complete it today. Happy to report mission accomplished.

Perhaps the best part was the 38 x50's. Initially, I had the most resistance with this set. I really didn't know if I could handle THIRTY EIGHT 50's. But on about the 8th 50 or so, I started reflecting on each year of my life. Instantly, each 50 took on a new year life. I was excited to swim and loved having the uninterrupted time (~38 minutes) to just be and reflect.
This is what popped up for each year:

8= awesome birthday party
9=moved to california
10=12 6th grade and feeling cool to the jr high years...
13= beginning of teenage years
14= high school
15= sophomore year
16= drivers liscence
17=graduated high school
18= UCSB
19= first year at the Lair
20=RA at FT
21=graduated UCSB
22= traveled Central America
23= Started Teach For America in LA
24-26=crazy in LA
27=reconnected with Michael
28=got married
29-30=adjustment years
31=grad school
32=school psych program
33=ready for a family
34=pregnant/had twins
35=(I breast stroked this year. I felt like it was the 'Five Golden Rings!' part of that Christmas song) At 35, my kids were 8mo's, & felt great about life.
36=hired a trainer/nutritionist and it changed my fitness & health for life
37=left education world, became a SAHM
38=SAHM, Olympic Tri's, Personal training, and Athleta.

I highly recommend this as an annual birthday workout. Whether you do your years in 25's, 50's or 100's, it's a great way to get in a workout and reflect on the years of your life. Thank you Sarah for the workout!

Comments

YMWR -

since I learned what SAHM means, I figured I'd throw out a follow up.

I must say that I am VERY impressed with AM's idea on how to get through the swim (and of course that she did it!). I know a lot of people do B-day routines (run the miles, swim the yards, ride the miles, or more...). But, looks like her coaching is becoming instinctual...awesome idea for everyone. and, next time, Sarah....write her down for 39x100s :)

(oh yeah, guess what YMWR means....anyone?)
Danielle said…
Your My Wife Really? Not that I don't think Michael deserves it, because he seems like he probably does, but I imagine that if you were my wife :), I would be feeling as blessed as he! Good job on the swim - you are my hero. That will be my goal after my TRI - train for my 38x50's in July!!
I've said it before, but I will say it again-such an inspiration!
Danielle said…
OK - just took another look at the workout! I am not sure I will even be able to calculate the swim by my next birthday!

Popular Posts