SERENITY NOW!

More parenting videos on JuiceBoxJungle

I've been tested more by my 3 year old twins this past week, than in their entire little existence. Is it their age? Or because we're ALL sick and don't have our normal wits about us? ugh. Also, does jbj have some sort of nanny cam in my house or something? How do they know this is a hot spot for me at the moment?

All I know is I'm feeling a lot like Frank Costanza over here. My methods for reacting and calming myself down are (almost) reaching comical status. Example:

Son (in a really whiny voice for the tenth time in the past 5 minutes): "But I want THREE- not 2!"

Me (trying to answer yet again, in a semi-calm, rational voice): "No..., you're having 2."

Son (now flips to hysteric mode): "NOOOOOO! I WANT THREE!". (He's flailing his arms and contorting on the floor.)

Me (I've reached my limit): "TAKE A DEEP BREATH! STOP crying and CALM DOWN! IF YOU DON"T STOP CRYING, GO TO YOUR ROOM!"

Son (back to a semi-quiet whiny/hysteric) whimpers: "But I want THREE"

Me (I can't believe he wont' give this up): "TAKE another DEEP BREATH! STOP CRYING OR GO TO YOUR ROOM! I'm modeling 'taking a breath' like I'm in la maze class.

Yeah, good times. I'm finding myself in more of these verbal battles, and it's not that pleasant. Maybe 3 is when they want to test the waters (that's fine), and I'm now expecting more from them. So we're figuring it out.

It's sort of like doing a dance- back and forth, to and fro- right? Currently, we're Krumping with a splash of Modern Dance
when doing 'lifts' to time out. How's it going in your household? Would love to hear about it:)

Comments

Anonymous said…
...What if he got three? Would all sense of order collapse? I am not a parent, but as a teacher I know I have to set limits.

I resonate with your entry and thought of the time I yelled "There will be no yelling in this classroom!" to a group of 5-year olds.
What are your sentiments on "wheeling and dealing?" Saying, "You can have the third one at 5:36 p.m." Write the time on a post-it and put it next to the clock. Or just being tough, depsite the tantrum, and saying "Kids who whine don't get another one. Sorry."
I really have no idea! But I am moved!

Popular Posts