Week Ten Goals: Just Keep Swimming


Yesterday I did a sprint distance triathlon, and as always, I dread the SWIM the most. Ugh! It kills me every time, and this swim was in the FREEZING Bay!

Mentally, I just try to 'get through' it, so I can move on to the bike and run- and yesterday was no exception. Half way through the swim the mental game started: I seriously began to question why I woke up at 3:45am and schlepped my family with me, only to freeze my &$$ off and feel like a dying guppy. Why am I doing this?? Okay, stop. I shifted my thinking and started repeating the mantra 'just keep swimming... just keep swimming'. Dory was my inspiration at that point, and it's what got me through.

A wave of relief washed over me as I sprang (well... fumbled) out of the swim and ran to T1. Just look how stoked I am to have that part over with.

And that's the nature of races and triathlons. Those mental blocks are half the race- they trip you up...and the challenge is to get yourself through them...and just keep swimming.

Week Ten Goals:

Athlete: 3 weeks til' Lavaman. Give 100% to my workout each day and don't wimp out near the end of a hard session.

Health: Stick to my food intakes each day

Mom: Cut kiddos hair

Personal Growth: Do Pilates night class this week

Here's to having a great week and remembering Dory during the rough spots!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay, you're my hero! I SO understand the water freak-out. One week soon my fitness goal will be "Get in the pool".
But for now, I'm giving the whole goals in categories thing a try- here it is!

Fitness- stick to workout plan
Personal Growth- get planner
Friend- plan Wicked trip with girlfriends
Health- lights out by 9:30 (tough with daylight savings...)
Home- pick Jim pics of kids to frame

Wish me luck!
AM! said…
Hey! I love the goals! You go:) looking forward to seeing how they go for the week;) and i hear you on the daylight savings.
Anonymous said…
Just catching up on back-logged entries...I just have to say my friend, you truly are Wicked Pissa in so many many ways....just a beautiful and interesting person inside and out. (WP is a Boston area compliment....which had me confused with the post above 'cause I thought "plan Wicked trip with girlfriends" meant some major wild trip 'till I realized she meant the play). And Meri, come on, you don't have a planner yet? It's March!!!!
Anonymous said…
Nice blog! I'm a friend of Sarah's and you seem insanely talented and athletic like her. What's with you people? (only jealous!)
AM! said…
Wow Jen! Thanks for the compliment and putting me in the same box as sarah! Now she's one SWIMMER/athlete!

Popular Posts