The Best Part


Napa Sonoma Half Marathon
I ran in the Napa to Sonoma Half marathon a few weeks ago, and I'm happy with my race, pace and results.

But what I am most happy about, and this may sound petty, is the high fives I gave to my kids at the race. Don't most parents do that? Well...for me, it's sorta hard to admit, but it's taken me a bit longer to learn to be present enough to reach out and high five my kids. I know, funny right?
But when I began triathlons/running races, instead of giving high fives to my family, I'd throw em' my bike gloves or gel wrapper and almost grunt in their face as I shuffled past them. It's comical to think about now- but that's how I rolled at the beginning of my triathlon/running journey.
And it was mainly through watching my own husband in his Ironmans and marathons literally STOP every single time to HUG the kids. I realized...AM- you're missing out on the best part.
The Best Part:
So as my kids get older, I get a new level of satisfaction and gratitude having my kids reach out for a high five. The level of connection, support and mutual respect deepens with each race.
And before I know it, I'll be high fiving em' back from the sidelines.;)
And I can't wait.

Comments

XLMIC said…
Life really is all about connection, isn't it? So glad to see you're not 'missing out on the best part' anymore :)
Relations are really very important in life...your post is great...
Timmy said…
Keep up the good work. Love your passion for success!
Beth said…
I love that picture of the hug on the bike. Awesome! I'm hoping to make it IMFL and get to stop and give someone a hug. That would be the best!

Popular Posts