5 Reasons 5k's Rule!

(Lil' backstory: I started my second round of coaching a program I created titled 'Five weeks to a First or Faster 5k' so my brain is on the 5k track at the moment. I wanted to give a lil' shout out to this distance b/c I've only become a big Believer in em' myself this past year (2010). So.... 


Five Reasons 5k's Rule!


1. They get you to do your speed work and get you to truly PUSH yourself. 


2. How do you get better at racing? Well, by putting yourself in more racing situations! 5k's are a great way to get the all around race experience. Like how to handle the night before bedtime, food, and set up, the jitters and nervousness that comes with racing, the pre, and post warm up and cool down, the anticipation of performance, and so on and so on. You get to experience all of it racing a 5k, and the race doesn't take a toll on your body so you can continue training.


3. Ok, so some may be pricey ($30) for a lil' ol 5k. But I bet that money is benefiting some great cause, so you're donating money towards a good cause while getting a killer workout. And there are very inexpensive options out there too. Like here in the Bay Area, the DSE Runners club put on fabulous 5 and 10k's for $7!!


4. You can use your 5k time to evaluate a realistic time for a 10k, Half and Full Marathon. No other type of training run will give you a true reading on your 3 mile splits and running potential. 


5. Okay...I lied, I'm only listing 4 for now. Because I want you to fill in the blank! What makes 5k's rule in your mind?  Or maybe not. I'll also hear your side if you're not a Believer...yet:)___________________________________________________________________________ 

Comments

Joanne said…
I love the 5K distance. Your reasons are perfect.
To add one more: the race is over with just when you're getting winded...if you push yourself, and that feels SO good.
Christi said…
I love 5Ks right now because that is the only distance I can race currently!
sarah said…
I was super anti-5K for a while, but now I'm making it my focus. There is NOTHING EASY about a 5K - you feel like heck for the entire run. But the training suits me perfectly. And...you can get home in an hour if you time it right.
Hannah said…
I have always been anti-5k. Even back when I quit cross country my senior year because I didn't want to get a running scholarship in college and have to go from the 2 mile to the 5k.

I'm not a huge fan of competition - it stresses me out! However, I am starting to see and understand the benefit of the short "races". And learning I'm only competing against myself, and that I don't have to let those feelings of terror take over.

But for now, I have never run a 5k. I'm thinking I'll wait for a time I really really need the "Whoohoo!" that comes after getting a PR...and then I'll go and run one. Because, you have to love that the first one is a PR. :)
I love 5ks because they are a great way to engage your "non runner" friends and family. Since just about anyone can do a 5k, it's a great place to start, and since they don't take a long time, you can enlist a great cheering section for you at the finish!
misszippy said…
Yay for the little 'ole 5k! It is so overlooked in our marathon-obsessed running society today. They HURT and they are HARD. And as a runner, that is GOOD for you!
Teamarcia said…
I love them because while I'm gasping and going into cardiac arrhythmia I know it'll all be over in 25 minutes, give or take.
Leah F said…
I have a love/hate relationship with 5Ks. I love them because they're so short, but hate them because you have to run so fast. I haven't done a lot in the past few years, but I'm planning on doing more this year.
Kimberly said…
I love 5Ks because you don't feel like death for the rest of the day. A half-marathon or marathon takes a lot out of you and ruins you for a bit. Also, if you have bathroom issues in a 5K, you just run faster to finish - no need to worry about stops affecting chip time!
Emz said…
great post.

ran my first 5k last Saturday. was a blast.
Anonymous said…
I think 5Ks are the hardest, cause you push yourself at a whole different level (you can endure anything for 20-30 minutes). It's fun to see just how fast you can go. I think your first reason is right on!!!
Velma said…
I like 5ks because if you have a bad one it is easy to pick up and run another a few weeks later.

I linked to your blog on my blog :)
I love 5ks because they are so accessible to everyone. Even walking a 5k isn't a huge time commitment. It's a great introduction for everyone to how awesome running can be, and how much FUN it can be.
Aimee said…
I love 5ks too! They are a great distance, fun to run, and the races don't take up a huge part of the day! My husband and I always sign up for random 5ks throughout the year and run them together with our boys in the jogger! It's just a lot of fun for all of us!
Jill said…
5K's around here are well over $30 and sometimes that's hard to swallow, but I love how they are excellent speedwork! :)
XLMIC said…
I love 5Ks because my aging body can still handle that amount of hard work! And w/o the 5K I never would have met AM!
Raquelita said…
As a not very fast runner who had almost always just run for distance, I am only just starting to feel like I might come to appreciate 5ks for the reason that you list. I would also add that they're a fun way to get a run in and don't require all the logistical maneuvering that longer races sometimes can.
I love your program names! This is a fab race to measure speed adn gauge future training paces and distances for!

P.s. the barbie cake in your previous post is AWESOME!!!
I work out at the gym with three friends. All of us have made it a goal to run a 5k this year. I'm trying to convince the others to do it OUTSIDE. They're going to take some persuading...
Anne-Marie said…
Reason #5 - Fun t-shirts?? :)

For me, they serve as a good threshhold test for determining pacing for interval training, since I will run much faster in a 5k race than if I just go to the track and run a 5k on my own. The downside: there aren't any 5k's around Pittsburgh at this time of the year :(
Beth said…
I agree that 5K's are great! They are a great way to really test yourself and see if you are getting faster and what you could do in a longer race. Yeah for 5ks!
Kris said…
5ks are great for getting the rest of the family involved! Ooh, and I have to second the t-shirts. So many of the longer races have gone to technical shirts. I love those cotton tees.

Popular Posts