GFTW 17: This or That?


 
First, thanks for the kind words about my 'ugly' post swim picture. I really did think I looked like a wet homeless dog, so was surprised to read the 'Aw, you have such a sweet smile' or ' you look so happy' comments. I took another gander at the shot and realized yeah, I guess I didn't look that bad. Then I had a 'Hm... I'm harder on myself in a lot of ways aren't I?' moment. Don't know where I'm going with that, but wanted to recognize it.

And along with recognizing things, I had a lot on my salad plate to contend with these past few days. I had extra work, extra training, Ironman dude gone for 2 wknds, a big volunteer commitment, and unexpected life variables that were sprinkled on top like chia seeds. But all this stuff sort of forced me to prioritize what is most important to me right now. I came out with me/kids/family first. My amp'd up training comes next b/c I only have 3 months til' Vineman. Then extra social, volunteer, and friend times. I know this may sound obvious or simple, but it wasn't for me b/c I'm a gal who wants it ALL. I love to try and do it all for everyone. But, I had to be honest with myself and say which comes first? This or That? 

Which leads to the photo above. This weekend I was slated to run a 5k to get my base running time for my training program. Well, me and the fam were at the beach and we haven't had a family day together since Hawaii. So I bagged the 5k,  b/c being together came first.

But I did attempt to make my own 4k, so we lined up the kids on their bikes and I took off...but only after they took off with Dad for a ride. Oh, and just to let you know...creating your own 'race' is SO not the same as running an actual race. lesson learned.

Well, I've gone on for MUCH longer than I thought. Thanks for still reading...here are my current thoughts for my Goals for the Week:

Health: Look at my overall nutrition. My trainer thinks I should hook up with a nutritionist, and I think I know I'm just not eating the right foods. we'll see.


Mom: buy dirt/plant one barrel w/flowers. I sorta did the research last week, and will get it done this week.


Athlete: Hit all my workouts. I have my plan, just need to plan it out. nuff said


Friend: Plan a gals date, and come up with when I'll see my swimmer BF. 


Personal Growth: the 'Do one act of kindness' did me well. It was so simple. if anything, it helped keep my frame of mind...kind. I'm keeping it again for this week. 


And as always, I write these goals on a bookmark I keep in my organizer and attempt to review them each morning as I plan my day. Just so you know, I virtually never get 100%, but it's a great compass for me.

Now...I've rambled and  I'd love to know how you prioritize your life at the moment? Which is it? This or That?

Comments

Unknown said…
So cute that your kids raced with you for your 4k :)

Have a great week!
misszippy said…
Thats a great picture of you guys! Good job at the prioritization...the training will all fall into place. Have a great week!
Ewa said…
I just love your race. Who won???
Prioritizing my life? Gosh, this gets complicated at times. I think in my life the more appropriate term would be finding compromises.
Teamarcia said…
Love the race! Things 1 and 2 would fight like cats to win.
This is a great system you have going, concrete goals, not too overwhelming. Good luck!
Caratunk Girl said…
That picture is awesome. Good luck with training this week, you are doing awesome.
ShutUpandRun said…
You always have such a great attitude. I am excited to follow your Vineman training. I thought about doing that one (for like a minute). Love the outing with the kids!! Good luck with your goals for the week.
Anonymous said…
You have such a great attitude, Anne Marie, and you've already motivated me more than you know [thanks for your encouraging comments =)]! I have the same issues with setting priorities; for me, the idea that I can't always do it ALL is a very long, slow lesson that I never seem to fully learn. Right now I am literally making a list that says "For the next 6 weeks I will not . . ." -- it's like I have to put blinders on to certain things, or I get scattered and completely lose focus of the priorities. I have to keep reminding myself that if I want to have time for THIS, I cannot [for now] also do THAT.

Thanks for a great post, and good luck this week!
Unknown said…
I agree, that picture is awesome!
I try to do it all too and something always comes back to bite me in the hiney.
There is not the same adrenaline and energy to ride on with your own race but its a descent sub if you have to!
Anne said…
Great pic of you and the kids :)

I guess I'm more of the "You can have it all, but not all at the same time" philosophy. I was actually going to write a short post about that today. I'll see what comes of it!

Great goals...have an excellent week Anne-Marie.
Jill said…
As always, I love your weekly goals and am inspired to get some of my own so I'm not always so overwhelmed everyday. Curious about the nutritionist and where you go with that, it's always my downfall. I'm reading a great book called: Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald and learning a TON (but can I do it??? Hum...). Sorry I've been MIA, traveling took so much time away from computer world. Have a great week and go get them goals! :)
Megan said…
It's nice they can ride by themselves, ie you not pulling them in a trailer. It'll be nice when my oldest can ride her bike well enough for me not to worry about it.
I love that pic of you and the youngins
LMC said…
I love that pic! I feel like such a slacker because I really don't have that much to prioritize! Most of the time, what little I do falls in place, my husband is always first, my running next (keeps me sane), then family and friends, then work! Good luck with your goals this week!!
Sounds like things are going pretty well. You're absolutely right. Sometimes you have to just say no to things to do something better. Family time is a good thing!
Great post and its very hard some time because you feel like you can and should do "everything" but in reality there is always "something" that stays behind. What a great picture of you and the kids :)
Aimee said…
This was a great post, and I totally had a "this or that" weekend. I was scheduled to do a long bike ride on Saturday, but instead, we had a great family day with our boys. It was perfect and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I love your mom goal. I can't wait to buy flowers and get them all planted. We have a tradition where we do it Mother's Day weekend, and I can't wait!
MCM Mama said…
Cute picture!

I love how you plan out your goals! I need to think beyond the running goals...
Lindsay said…
It really is all about priorities! And It looks like you got it all figured out! Good job!

ps darling picture!
JC said…
Great job on prioritizing this week. Love the pic too!
Velma said…
Great plans. Vineman is going to be fantastic!!!!
Unknown said…
Prioritizing is a challenge...it changes weekly because there are times when work creeps up there, marathon training or health...depending on what's going on during the week. I love learning more about this from you, especially about nutrition and how you'll prioritize this in your life! You race looked fun!
Molly said…
I love how you categorize your goals! Being an active mom is truly a juggling act...hope you're having a great week!

Popular Posts