Girls on the Run is so much FUN!

 
I can't get that dang cheer outta my head! I help out as an assistant coach with the program called Girls on the Run here in the Bay Area. I'm thinking many of your runners out there may have heard of it, or are already involved. And if you haven't heard, it's a stellar program that works with pre-teen girls to build their self-esteem, athletic confidence, and gears them up in a ~12 week program to ultimately run an official 5k race.

I initially heard about the group through a lil' slip in one of my running schwag bags and thought it sounded great. So I volunteered as a Running Day buddy, where you sign up to run the 5k race with a girl. Then this past year, I signed on to be an assistant coach for their group. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to work again with preteen girls (I'm a former elementary school counselor), and have the opportunity to teach them about health and fitness. So I now I help assistant coach and I feel like it's my touchstone to staying grounded in life.
At the end of each session, we huddle up and Cheer: 'Girls on the Run is SO MUCH FUN...WOOOO!' And today, because I didn't have kid coverage, I brought the kidz along and I think my lil' girl has a new found love for pre-teen girls. She ran half the course with them and on the way home kept asking 'When are we gonna see the Girls on the Run again?'. 
Ah, my own lil' future Girl on the Run...;)

Comments

Jill said…
That is the COOLEST thing ever!! I can tell you have a heart of gold and you're doing so much for these girls! I am truly moved by love and affection towards these girls! :)
SurferWife said…
That's so awesome that you participate! My BFF does it down here and loves it!!
Anne said…
Isn't that group awesome? I love their mission and I am always so happy with what they do for girls. My good friend is a coach/volunteer here in the Midwest. I wish they had a group closer to me so I could volunteer.
misszippy said…
Very cool. We are just starting a chapter here in my county this spring. I'm hoping to help with asst. coaching. A great program!
Sherri said…
I love it! We don't have a program like that...I would love it. For awhile I started a summer running group for junior high and high school kids. I loved it. Then I kept having kids, and eventually I stopped. I was just remembering how rewarding it was, and how I would love to do it again.

You are amazing...and you bless so many people with your energy! Thanks!
Those girls are lucky!
Unknown said…
That's awesome, I'd love to get involve with something like that, in fact, if there's nothing like that round here maybe I'd be able to set it up!
Anonymous said…
Wow, Anne, that is just awesome -- makes me want to take up running just so I can participate in this with my daughter in the future[she's 10 mos. now . . . how much time does that give me? ;)] Seriously, this is super motivating, including your role as mentor. And now I'VE got the cheer in me own head! "Girls on the run . . ." love it =)
Velma said…
This is fantastic - I will have to see if I can help out with the StL group!
Unknown said…
I just realised I forgot to answer your question from my blog! The mental health mentoring will be a one to one support thing where I'll be paired with someone they think is suitable and I'll have an action plan to try and help them fulfil, it might be stuff like helping them sort housing out, financial advice, help with forms etc, just trying to help them get back on track and manage stuff which they may not have the confidence or experience to do themselves. I'm really looking forward to it!
Unknown said…
I've always loved this organization but I don't think there is anyone in our area leading this group. I'll have to check that out!
Teamarcia said…
That is so cool. I love that org. I wanna get Thing 1's Brownie troop 'on the run' just not sure how young is too young.
AM! said…
I forgot to say in my post that ALL of you would make fabulous coaches for the program and it would just be awesome for you all to be involved!!;-)
Julie said…
Hi Anne Marie,
Wow, that sounds like such a great opportunity for the girls! Good for you by helping out and coaching! You are setting such a good example for your daughter:) I love the picture...very cute! I also love the cheer!!

I hope that you have a wonderful weekend Anne Marie!!
I love the idea of Girls on the Run...and hope to get to volunteer with them soon (or start a chapter at our school). Nice job giving your time to them--sounds super rewarding.
Melissa said…
I love the idea of a group like this. Fantastic program and it's so great that you can get your daughter interested so soon!
Tracey Kite said…
They have a few Girls on the Run groups here in Kansas, but they are not in our area. I keep pushing to get them to move out to us so that my my daughter is old enough she can be in it. I should look in to the coaching thinkg, I would really enjoy that too. Thanks for suggesting it!

Popular Posts