Week 42: Before you know it...

We did our big Costco run this weekend and I swear it's always like Christmas. Buying new tubs of Cetaphil lotion, large packages of sliced turkey, a virtual palet of toilet paper, grabbing a quick hot dog and soda...you get the gist and now I feel set for a while.


But that's not why I'm bringing up the trip. While we were strolling the aisles, me and Nicolas with one cart, Michael and Annabel with another, a much older man observed our family, strolled up to Michael and said "I hope you're having fun". Michael pointed to the kids and replied "Hey, if they're having fun, I'm having fun". 
The much older man then said with a simple smile "Good. Because before you know it, you're 87 and wondering how it all happened so fast". At that moment I wanted to hug this guy. The words from his mouth were priceless. I actually wanted to whip out my iphone and take his picture- but I thought that might be overkill...


Then I noticed him again in the next aisle, slowly pushing his much, much, older looking wife in a wheel chair as she struggled to reach for something. hmph... My eyes welled up with both sadness and inspiration. I felt a sense of deep, hollow, sadness to think about the reality of aging, and watch this dear old man tend to his debilitated wife. And I also felt very inspired to embrace life's little moments, right here, right now, because that's what it's about.  


So speaking of the little moments, here are my Goals for the Week:


Personal: Meditate for ~2 min once in the morning before waking up, and one other time during the day
Athlete: Schedule all of my workouts to make sure I get them in b/c of a busy week.
Mom: Have us all eat together 2 or more times this week. (usually kids eat at 5, we eat after kids go to bed)
Health: Each day, Plan chunks to work on the computer. I need to limit my computer time and if I actively plan my time out, I will use the computer more efficiently;)


As always, I write these goals out on a book mark I keep in my organizer and attempt to review it each morning as I plan my day. 


Here's to strolling down aisles, sharing hot dogs and sodas, and taking it all in:)

Comments

Yes, how easy it is to let things/life go by so quickly. We all have had those driving experiences where we "space out" and then kinda go..."man, I don't even remember driving the last 5 minutes...."

Many of the old adages are true - don't let life pass you by; live in the moment; it all happens so fast...the kids grow up so fast...

And it does.

At times I have to remind myself - I LOVE MY WIFE, I LOVE MY LIFE. Remember it.

Popular Posts