Triathlon Racing: The Differences Between Dads & Moms


My DH Michael just competed in the Auburn Olympic Distance Tri this weekend and won his Age Group. So cool! I'm really proud of him. This was a harder tri too, so winning his group is no tiny feat.

But what I really admire is his racing mentality. Do I think about my kids during a race? Uh, no. Not really. In fact, the few times we've schlepped the kids out to 'watch' us race, I'm infamous for hardly glancing their way as I huff through the race. But what does my DH do? Oh, he not only waves, but stops and gives kisses on the run & transitions.
It's like he's running for Mayor! Huh? Mentally, I think those ~5 secs could be the difference between 4th and 5th. For him, it fuels him to actually win. Not fair.

The kids and I didn't make it up to watch him race this morning. But last night he sent this picture of his bike set up for the race. He attached a coloring lil' A made, to his spare tubing/air. Case in point. I would have never thought of that. And I'd just worry the picture would fluster me if I actually did get a flat! For him, he won. Again not fair. But I'm learning;)

I have a fun local 10k run this weekend and the course goes right in front of our house. Right by our house! DH has kid duty so I can race. My goal is to force myself (if I have to) to wave and give at least one kiss.

And it better make me win...:)

Comments

who'd a thought an iPhone and a Holiday Inn room could capture such the moment...the best story is when I showed this pic to Annabel...that one is for AM to tell personally...

p.s. my wife rocks. :)
sarah said…
mks you are a stud. and you too, ams. frankly i can't believe either of you is thinking about winning. i always just try to get through. you are inspirations!

Popular Posts