Training Tuesday: My 2011 Race Schedule...sorta;)

I know, I know... It's so fun to even think about! What the heck do I wanna train for and race in 2011? Well, I'll tell ya right now, I do NOT have those answers set in stone. Last year at this time I knew my 'A' race would be a HIM distance...Vineman. But this year...I'm not so sure. 

Right now, I don't have the same burning desire to take on a HIM. Sounds weird, but I feel like I sorta did that, have that notch on my belt, and am happy with my performance. It basically comes down to two things: 

First, I don't think I can be a contender at that distance, and to put in all the hours slash training to come in twelfth in my AG doesn't excite me. May sound arrogant, but I'm just bein' honest here. Second, the xx hours a week of training needed to race well at that distance is time taken away from family/friends/fun/chillin..and that doesn't sound too cool either.


But I know I just need to be on the 'EZ BREEZY, It's all for FUN!' training boat for a bit more (nov, dec), to have a clearer gauge of next year.

So all this being said...I'm leaning towards the idea of taking on Olympic Distance Tri's and training to race fast for em'. I think I could do well at this distance if I put in the smart training. And, also peak for 2 half marathons. I'm sorta channeling my inner Becky Lavelle professional triathlete in me.

So my three 'A' Races for 2011 may look like this:


June: San Jose Olympic Distance Triathlon
July: San Francisco Olympic Distance Triathlon
Oct: Nike Half or Healdsburg Half Marathon
 

I'd have a ~6 'B' races of  5k's, 10k's and 3 sprint tri's, sprinkled in the Spring as part of my training

I think this looks manageable and the idea of training for these, while appreciating all the other good stuff in life sounds nice. But like I said...I still got ~2 months to ride the 'EZ BREEZY- don't matta what ya do' express to finalize a game plan.

And that's where I'm at. Now you... what are YOUR planning for 2011?! I wanna hear it! What are you thinking of aiming for? Talk to me, talk to me;-)

Comments

I think it is so important to get excited about your training and racing. If you are not, why do it? SO, I think it is great that you listened to that inner voice and decided to take on olys! Good luck!
Pahla said…
I'm batting lots of ideas back and forth, too. An Oly tri is a stretch for me right now, but I'm still thinking about doing a HIM. Crazy, huh? I'm torn between doing better at distances (and races) that I already know or trying new things. Everyone loves an automatic PR. :-)
Tricia said…
VERY exciting :)

haven't signed up for any yet, but have my eye on a few in the spring.Just have to wait for this knee to recover...
Anne-Marie said…
Isn't researching and choosing races so fun!? :)

I am using 2011 to work on gaining race experience and speed/strength in the 'shorter' distances before doing another IM in 2012. As of right now my schedule includes 1 half marathon, 3 HIM's, and 2 Oly's (plus a 3rd Oly if I qualify for AG Nats again, which I'm hoping to do) scattered from March-Oct... approx. 1 race/month which proved to be good pacing this year. I'm sure I'll toss in a few local 5k & 10k races too.

It's a lot... but... my philosophy is that while I'm single and have the time and desire to throw my heart and soul into tri training and racing, I'm gonna do it :)
Emz said…
Love your schedule!!

I have three marathons picked so far for 2011. we'll see where I go from there! ;)
ShutUpandRun said…
Awesome!! You always rock those tris, no matter what the distance.

I am going for my first HIM in August. Boston in April if I heal okay. That's all I got right now. probably a fall marathon too.

I will be calling on you when I start my HIM training for help.
Christi said…
I am doing the Boulder Tri Series which is a sprint, Olympic and 1/2 Ironman, a race in June, July and August.

I will do more but I am letting the body decide when and where.
justme said…
my first olympic size tri .....
Anonymous said…
Need to get through marathon #1 first... but I'm thinking next year I'll focus on my halves and on improving my speed.
Clair said…
Nice plan! Since I'm still rehabbing my foot and not sure about next year, I'm focusing on swimming this winter.
Dang! you have my wheels spinning!! I only have a half marathon in January thus far!!!
misszippy said…
Sounds like a solid plan to me. I totally appreciate where you are coming from on the HIMs, especially if they are Kona qualifiers..it gets crazy! You'll rock the Olys.

My plans, other than Boston in April, have yet to be determined. Gotta get the calendar out soon!
Ewa said…
You are so good at planning things, I am still amazed.
I can't even admit to myself that it is already mid-November (I was going to type October).
When SJ Tri comes closer, let me know, I'll come to cheer you on.
Current Goals: GEI (Grateful, Enjoy, Improve)

What will those result in? I really don't know.. but that's my focus.

I have tentative plans for my first ultra (July), and also a HM (Sept. or Oct.).

If I wind up falling in love with everything, the options are limitless... provided the races are not filled fast and/or I can get time off from school.

Truly I hope to spend more hours at a time out on the trails and to balance it (e.g. enough swims, gym time, yoga, etc.).

Happy Exploration and Trails to all.
Velma said…
I am thinking along similar lines - lots of Oly tris :)
LMC said…
Looks like a good plan for you. You'll do great at those Olympic Tri's! I have only been thinking about 2011, haven't actually done any research or put anything on the calendar yet. Just enjoying resting right now!
Unknown said…
Focus on what you are feeling NOW! Things change from year to year that's for sure. I've got some big things planned for 2011 (the year of awesomeness), but nothing set in stone. Hoping to hear the final nail this week so next week I can really start mapping some things out!!! I'll be sure to post about it don't you worry! :D
Caratunk Girl said…
NICE! Looks like a fun schedule for sure. My biggest plan for 2011 is IMLP at this point!

Popular Posts