Girls on the Run is SO MUCH FUN...WOOOOH!

I've been lucky enough to participate in the Girls on the Run program as an assistant coach for the past 1.5 yrs. For all you who don't know about GOTR, it's a 12 week program for 3-5th grade girls, and focuses on developing self esteem while training to ultimately run a 5k race. At the race, each girl is then paired with a Running Buddy Lady who helps pace and encourage her. Well this morning was our 5k race, and my experience as a this lil' girl's Running Buddy was priceless.


Because today was not just a race, but a journey with a gal who kicked booty running her first 5k while simultaneously sharing her world with me. From the minute the race started, and the blood started flowing she started talking. Talking about her day, her weekend, her school, her family, her favorite animals, her dreams, her friends, and so on and so on. She just kept talking while running and I just listened in sweet awe. The race wasn't a race anymore but a peek into this lil' girl's world, and how comfortable she felt talking with me as we ran. 

And she ran the entire time. No stopping for her, no siree. And because she was able to talk the entire time- I knew she had a lot left in the tank. So when we came up to the last ~quarter mile of the run I told her I'm gonna push her a bit- and she was on it. So at the end I told her to try and pass me, which had us sprinting to the end. She is one strong and fast cookie.

Bottom line is I simply felt honored to be with her every step of the way in her first 5k. The physical and social/emotional experience of it all. I know she felt proud of herself and gained so much from the event, but I gotta tell ya...I think I gained more from running with her. So thank YOU lil' Running Buddy;)

Comments

This is priceless! I want to do this too...is there one of these organizations in Oregon?! I'm going to have to check that out. How empowering for both of you. The more I get to know you through your blog, the better I like you! ;)
Anne-Marie said…
Wow - what a cool experience! Thanks for sharing. I've heard about GOTR but I'm interested to learn more about it now... I'd love to be a pacing buddy!
justme said…
that is awesome - i am going to see if this program is in my area OR maybe i can start one ???
What a great program. I wonder if they have something similar in this area...
Woo-hoo! Great job!!! Awesome program!
Aimee said…
Awesome! I would love to be a part of that program some day!
Teamarcia said…
So so awesome! Strong, fast cookies are the very best kind--even better than chocolate chip!
Jenny Hinman said…
You and your buddy did awesome today. I can't wait for the next race. Your buddy was very lucky to have you as her run partner.
Christi said…
What a great experience for you and your lil running buddy!
Pahla said…
Congrats to you both on an excellent race - what a wonderful experience!!
Anonymous said…
Amazing experience!!!
Melissa said…
How sweet! I did a 5K last month with a 5 year old and it was amazing!
XLMIC said…
This sounds like a phenomenal program! Congrats to your lil' runner!
Julie said…
What a great idea Anne Marie! That girl is going to remember you and that 5K race always:) Good for you!
LMC said…
She's probably still smiling and still talking about her awesome running experience and you! Nice way to spend a few hours of your weekend AM. Good for you!!
Unknown said…
Aww that's so sweet! I just can't imagine running that far even as a teenager, there's some strong girls out there!
Laura said…
So, I'm in the process of moving to the Bay Area, hopefully getting there early next year, but this is a program I'm SUPER interested in getting involved in. Can you help? I've been to the website but I can't tell when they are taking coaches/buddies/volunteers for the next 5K training. I'd love to chat over email if that's easier: ljgilmour@yahoo.com

And congratulations to your lil' Running Buddy on her first 5K! Awesome!
that sounds like such a fun and awesome program! I am glad you got to do it and that your buddy did so awesome!

Popular Posts