Which Leg of a Tri Is Most Important?


Last night, the DH and I had a conversation about our training and tri's (we're both sorta tri fanatics). We debriefed our past races and it all led me to to re-think the Age Old Triathlon Question: Which leg of a triathlon wins the race? 

It's always a toss up between the bike and the run. A few years back when Normann Stadler won Hawaii it was proclaimed a strong bike wins the race. But for the past two years Craig Alexander comes through with a smokin' run and it's now all about the run.

And on the ladies side, well currently, Chrissie Wellington just is so smokin' fast on the bike and the run, she's wins no matter how ya look at it.

But I'm not Chrissie, nor am I Craig or Norman. And last I checked I ain't racin' any Ironmans either. But my answer to this question has changed through out my triathlon 'career'.

When I first started in the tri world, my bike was the strongest, my run second, and WAY, WAY down the line was my swim. And without any training, I'd do okay as a weekend warrior (finish in the mid pack at the sprint distance). Then when I actually began to train,  I experienced my run to be just as important as the bike. 

And now today, for ME...my bike is strong, but it's all about the run. Because at the end of the day, if I blow up my legs on the bike and have nothing left for the run...I'm screwed.  And for my swim? Well, I agree with this: You can't win the race on your swim, but you can loose it on your swim

SO spankin' true! You need SOME sort of swim. You can't finish in the mid/late pack of the group to be a contender. At least that's what I've seen, and that's what I've experienced. 

So that's my fifty two cents. Now...I'm SO curious as to what you think? Tell me, Which Leg of a Tri Wins the Race? 

Also, Last day to enter the Sa-weet Sugoi Running Skirt/Short Giveaway!

Comments

Thanks to Craig, alot of my theory has been blow out of the water, I still think its all about the bike, but its all about being fresh off the bike, but fast enough to put a hurt on some people who might be a better runner then you, but not as good biker as you.
Unknown said…
Interesting post, I have no idea though! I'll have to try a tri and let you know ;-)
OK, I think the bike and run go together. I am a strong runner, I ran a half marathon at a 7:04 pace, but I can't (yet) run well off of the bike (because my legs are trashed, no matter how slow I go). But, if my bike gets stronger, my running will be stronger, too. For ex., you read CHarissa's blog, she runs the half marathon part of a HIM at about 4 minutes slower than her half marathon PR. She does this because she has a strong bike. For me, if I run 10 min slower than my HM PR, I would be thrilled. The stronger the bike, the lower tha gap between open running vs off the bike running. THis is what I think but what do I know, I just started tri-ing!
Aimee said…
I know from experience that the phrase, "You can't win from the swim, but you can lose it on the swim" is sooo true! As far as the bike and run go, I'm still not sure which is more important. I'm leaning more towards the run b/c if you can't finish strong, you're screwed.
KovasP said…
I think for the beginner triathlete, the bike by far the most important, as it's the leg where the most time can be lost. Running a minute slower than someone else will lose you 3 minutes in the run during a sprint, but biking a minute per mile slower loses 12+ minutes.
RunToTheFinish said…
i haven't done one yet but i sure hope the run is most important cause that's all I know I can do :)
Beth said…
Just by time percentages seems like the bike should be most important (my hubby and I have debated this before too) but since running is where you actually win or lose it does seem like a toss up.....interesting post!
isela said…
I would have to say that the bike leg is the most important--it is the longest and if you really stink on the bike (which I do) it can mean losing a race for sure. The run, well, you can always walk it if you have to but the bike, you can't just walk your bike, you must ride it and ride it like you stole it.

My weakest sport is the bike--I am slow as molasses and thus I think that it is the most important part. Note--I am not fast at the other two but I am average while my biking I am just plain mediocre.
Rae said…
Hi! I'm so glad I found your blog too! So cool that you have twins! We do have a lot in common. :) I look forward to reading your blog!
Regina said…
Right now it has to be the bike, cuz i am crap on the run. Never was a runner, probably never will be even though I bust my ass in training.
I don't know yet, but I like Running and living's comment about having a strong bike to get a strong run. Kinda makes sense to me.
Caratunk Girl said…
I agree with you on what you said with swimming....Chrissie Wellington is almost never first out of the water, but she is in the top 10 females out of the water...

I think you have to have a strong enough bike so that you come off the bike with strong legs....SO if you are a really strong biker and get your miles in, you should come off the bike feeling pretty fresh...

ALL that said, Chris Leito (very strong biker) kicked butt on the bike and had a strong lead in Kona last year only to be overtaken in mile 22 of the run by Craig Alexander (very strong runner)...Soooo your run fitness really needs to be up there as well... Tough one!
teacherwoman said…
I have been thinking about this and everything triathlon related for the past few days. My race sunday was a struggle, but thinking back, I find the bike to be the most important leg as I feel that this is my strongest suit. However, like you said, if you put it all out there in the bike and leave nothing for the run, that doesn't work either...
Maggs said…
For me it comes down to the run. Which sucks because that's my worst event. That's where I always get my butt kicked. I think some of it depends on the distance though. I think a sprint race can come down to the swim.
LMC said…
I sure hope the most important leg is the run cause that's all I'll ever be good at if I ever decide to try a tri. I can't swim and my biking is slow. You, on the other hand, rock all the legs!
(BTW, I'll have pix of Umstead soon, promise!)
Anne-Marie said…
Tough question! A lot of good points have been made here. I definitely agree about the swimming. In the end, I really think it comes down to the run to win the race. Even if the winner has a phenomenal bike split and goes into the run first, they still have to run fast enough to hold onto that lead.

Until this year, my bike was always my strongest leg, which seemed a bit odd considering I had just picked up cycling ~6 months earlier and had been swimming since middle school and running since high school. I think maybe on some subconscious level I overcompensated on the bike because it was my newest discipline. It always seemed like a lot of people passed me on the run though, which was really frustrating. I think this year I've improved my post-bike run but also learned to hold back a bit on the bike so my running legs are fresher.

AM, did you get my email? I sent one to the email address on your blog so you'd have my address :)

Popular Posts